New Rider, old bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Rider, old bike?

adoom

I know I'm probably a sucker for punishment, but I dig older bikes. I'm a new (totally new) rider, but I've been looking at an '82 GL500. Mostly for it's aesthetic potential (what a cool motor). With very little effort I think it will make a great little scrambler.
Does anyone have any "cautions" when looking at the GL500/CX500 style motor? I've found a decent looking runner, that I hope to go look at this weekend. Apparently it's mechanically sound, just visually outdated. Price seems right, so there's room for getting a safety and perhaps starting a couple of visual changes.

I've sat on a LOT of bikes over the past couple of weeks, at dealerships. The only bike that felt "like home" was the TU250x, but it's displacement isn't a realistic option for me. I need something a little more highway capable. But the ergonomics (and visual aesthetics) of the TU250x were spot on. I sat on it and immediately felt comfortable. No other modern bike that I've sat on has felt that way.

Thoughts welcome!

All I've rode is old bikes, started on a 1983 Yamaha xs400 Maxim now I ride a 1982 Yamaha Seca 550. I find the older bikes have a lot of character, are very cheap to repair and easy to do yourself. In regards to the cx500, I'm not overly familiar with the reliability of the engine, I quick search online should bring up some opinions. Most important thing with these older bikes is finding a model with good parts availability.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

I love old bikes, especially Hondas, but there are some caveats. When you buy make sure they run. They need to start and go through all the gears. Fixing old bikes can get very expensive very quickly. '80s Japanese bikes were over engineered and are reliable, but they are 30 years old. Ensure that the bike you like has a long production run and there are lots of parts on ebay.http://www.motorera.com/honda/#y500The

Silverwing GL500/CX500 were mini Motoguzzi style V-twins where the V was left-right, vs most of the other Honda vtwins where the V was front-rear. I don't think there were as many made as the standard vtwins. The GL500s were only made for 2 years and may make finding parts more challenging. The CX500 is very similar in engine and was made from '78 - '84. That's a lot more years and a lot more available parts. I'd go for the longest production year, the CX500.As for looks, they are unique.

The GL500s were only made for 2 years and may make finding parts more challenging. The CX500 is very similar in engine and was made from '78 - '84. That's a lot more years and a lot more available parts. I'd go for the longest production year, the CX500.As for looks, they are unique.
Very true, however the older CX had the Cdi charging/ignition that I have been reading a lot of horror stories about.

I'm not making any rash decisions just yet...I'm heading to the Motorcycle Springshow this weekend and I'm sure will face a sea of temptation once I pass through the doors.
I'm kind of "hooked" on the older Japanese bike aesthetic and ergonomics. I've tried sitting on a lot "sport bikes" like the newer CBR's and Ninjas, and none of them feel "right".
Sitting on the GL500 yesterday... that thing has a sofa for a seat... even though it's a bigger heavier bike, it felt comfortable and manageable.

The 500/650s were notorious for alternator stator and cam chain tensioner issues.
The only way to repair was to pull the motor and then remove the rear cover - a real pain.
If you find one you like, it might be wise to check electrical output and listen carefully with a stethoscope for any unusual mechanical noises.
Other than that, they were pretty reliable BUT as with anything that is 3+ decades old let general condition be your guide.

Back
Top Bottom