would there be reliability differences between cable internet resellers? | GTAMotorcycle.com

would there be reliability differences between cable internet resellers?

mmmnaked

Banned
Teksavvy was good for years, but now Im getting random outages and slowdowns too often to continue using their service.

They just resell Rogers cable internet, so could there possibly be a difference in experience if I switched to Rogers or some other cable provider? I dunno how much 'teksavvy' is actually in my teksavvy internet service.... what are they providing, technically?

I know that compared to DSL, cable resellers are not as close to the wire and rely on some of the cable owner's network infrastructure (not by choice). They still have their own backbone and ancillary services (e.g. DNS, email, etc).

So it really comes down to identifying who the problem is with in your area. I know certainly that I had similar outages/slowdowns with Rogers themselves and they didn't give a ****. What has TekSavvy told you about the issues you were having? Typically they will never point at the "vendors" as the problem apart from vague insinuations

Last edited:
They sent me a loaner modem, didn't do squat. Not sure where to go next maybe Bell

What happened after trying out the loaner modem?

Probably not gonna sway you here, but I've had around a decade of service with Bell and Rogers each and I've got to say TekSavvy's customer service compares extremely favourably. Maybe the early days of Bell Sympatico were alright, but they just do not care about the consumer. Bell still charges +$30 a month on any package to get unlimited usage. Rogers was casually breaking DNS lookup failures for years. I'm with Bell now, but will probably switch back to TekSavvy the second that third parties are allowed on to their fibre.

No difference I still get random slowdowns and outs. My wife works from home and the service is no longer as dependable as necessary.

I guess I can call them to troubleshoot further but it's such a picky issue I just don't know what more they can do

No difference I still get random slowdowns and outs. My wife works from home and the service is no longer as dependable as necessary.

I guess I can call them to troubleshoot further but it's such a picky issue I just don't know what more they can do

It could be that the loaner modem was just done so that they can open a ticket with Rogers (speculating). I have had cable issues in the past that actually did require a Rogers tech to come out and fix their wiring

Independant ISPs operate their own networks, but lease some circuits and also wholesale to the end customer. They are not a "Rogers reseller" skimming the top off a discounted bulk price from Rogers. They'd make more money if they did, sadly. Just clarifying a common misconception.

rogers has unlimited 100u for 2 years for $65 a month...just switched yesterday, and bell has 400gig for $45/month

i think both promotions end tonight though

Independant ISPs operate their own networks, but lease some circuits and also wholesale to the end customer. They are not a "Rogers reseller" skimming the top off a discounted bulk price from Rogers. They'd make more money if they did, sadly. Just clarifying a common misconception.

so.... ..... I COULD see a difference in reliability between teksavvy and rogers in the same house?

Possibly. And it could go either way, on any individual day. Additionally, you could see the same problems on both if there is network congestion within a neighbourhood, as that would be an infrastructure problem only the cable company can deal with.

so.... ..... I COULD see a difference in reliability between teksavvy and rogers in the same house?

It's been my experience...no. Typically random sync failures (most common reason for loss of connectivity) are problems with physical cables, and not the provider...so switching from Teksavvy cable to Rogers cable, or Teksavvy DSL to Bell DSL will not fix the underlying problem.

Call Teksavvy back and continue to explain that the situation is not resolving...they should escalate it based on the fact it's likely a physical cable issue and dispatch Rogers/Bell to investigate and repair.

Back
Top Bottom