Suspension set up question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Suspension set up question

mbroyda

I'm getting ready to do my first track day at the end of April on a bike that I bought at the end of the season last year.
The guy I bought it from is lighter than me and said he had the fork springs changed for his weight, and also included the stock springs. My original plan was to switch back to stock, however after a little bit of research I learned that the stock spring rate is lower than what he had put in for himself (stock is 0.85kg/mm vs 0.9kg/mm on the bike now) so for now I think i'll keep whats installed, but would like to adjust it.

Questions are as follows:

- what are your thoughts on keeping the 0.9kg/mm springs that are in there now? (race tech website recommends a .987kg/mm spring, so a 1.0kg/mm would be the closest one)

- would you attempt to adjust the settings by yourself (never done it before), or take it to a shop? if so which shop is recommended?

- is there a track side service that may be available (at TMP) the could help me adjust the suspension?

the bike is an 03 kawi 636

Thanks in advance

Max

Set your sag, put the clickers to what they come from the factory as and go enjoy the day. Don't try and make it complicated, you'll have enough other stuff to overwhelm yourself with. If you notice a big issue with the bike after the first day then consult a professional but that's pretty unlikely. It usually takes a couple days before you can blame the bike for not doing something correctly.

Last edited:
Youre going out to do your FIRST track day....

Don't worry about your suspension. Make sure your bike is clean, and is in good working order.

You wont be going fast enough for you to required "tuned" suspension.

Just get out and ride it, learn throttle control, and lines, and braking points.

Worry about suspension, tires, etc.. later. (that **** costs too much money anyways lol)

go to a shop and get it don rite the first time.. if your set up is wrong and you hit the track and you possible can kill your tires with a bad set up

Do like dricked says... go enjoy the day, focus on riding and learning.

But I will add... write down the set up in a book for future reference. Every time you change something write that change down so you can back track to your starting setup or back to when the bike felt better. But this is for reference later on, not day one!

Set your sag, put the clickers to what they come from the factory as and go enjoy the day. Don't try and make it complicated, you'll have enough other stuff to overwhelm yourself with. If you notice a big issue with the bike after the first day then consult a professional but that's pretty unlikely. It usually takes a couple days before you can blame the bike for not doing something correctly.
Would it not be a good idea to have the suspension oil refreshed as the bike is an 03? and if so why not set up the bike with proper springs for his weight and get a suspension guy to set up sag?

Look through the parts section here as I have some new Race Tech .95's that may fit your bike. Like others have said though, if this is your first day just let it be and enjoy the day.

Would it not be a good idea to have the suspension oil refreshed as the bike is an 03? and if so why not set up the bike with proper springs for his weight and get a suspension guy to set up sag?

It's never a bad idea to service the suspension if you have the time and means but if nothing's leaking I'll put dollars to doughnuts he's not going to notice a difference.

Learn when to go left or right first and when to brake and then worry about suspension later.

Setting Sag should be the first thing anyone does before setting foot on any new to them bike regardless if it is street or track.

Focus your energy on ensuring your bike is mechanically safe on things like the chain, the tires, wheel bearings, throttle and that everything is tightened. Being well hydrated is probably more important to your speed and safety than the suspension. Good luck and have fun.

thanks for the response everyone.

anyone going to be at TMP on the 30th?

Best thing you can do is find someone who knows the lines at that track and willing to show you around.
Follow and learn. Keep your mind free of distractions of set-up and what not.

thanks for the response everyone.

anyone going to be at TMP on the 30th?
Nope heading to Shannonville for the practice weekend. Not sure if it's just for racers or open to the public too. Tmp is fun too tho. Like corners 3,4,5

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Questions are as follows:

- what are your thoughts on keeping the 0.9kg/mm springs that are in there now? (race tech website recommends a .987kg/mm spring, so a 1.0kg/mm would be the closest one)

- would you attempt to adjust the settings by yourself (never done it before), or take it to a shop? if so which shop is recommended?

- is there a track side service that may be available (at TMP) the could help me adjust the suspension?

the bike is an 03 kawi 636

Thanks in advance

Max

** Keep the Race Tech springs, it will be enough for for your first summer most likely.

** Not recommended to do it your self if you've never done it and don't know what you're doing. Take it to the shop of your choice (Z1 Cycletech can get you going). A good base set up will help you enjoy your first day.

** Usually no track side service at track days.

If you are actually interested in this stuff buy Andrew Trevitt's book on sportbike suspension tuning. Easy read and enough info there to get you through to amateur racing level, much less a first track day.

Advice above is good. 0.9 in the forks is a bit light for your weight but it won't matter until true race pace. No idea about the rear because that is very bike-specific and depends on the linkage ratio.

One thing not mentioned above - it never hurts to monitor front suspension travel. Put a zip tie around your fork stanchion and shove it up against the dust seal. After each session have a look where it is. If it does get pushed down almost to the lower casting (very unlikely), add some preload to extend the forks a bit and give yourself more positive travel.

TMP is a fun track and you can ride it many many times before completely solving the puzzle. Good mix of very different corners. You'll have fun all day moving your braking point further up towards T1, trying to stitch 2 and 3 into one turn, taking decent speed into 6, and really committing yourself to 9. Actually, if it is your first day, count it a success if you even manage to take one smooth line around the last two right hand apexes leading onto the front straight. Lots of folks don't even manage that on day 1.

there are good videos on how to set your sag on youtube. this is more important than your current fork spring rate. as others have said, you don't need to worry about your fork springs at this point. find a video from a credible source such as cycle world or sportrider magazines to learn how to set your sag FRONT & REAR. bringing it to a shop has been mentioned by others; this is a good idea. but it really isn't rocket science, and the sooner you learn, the better off you will be. this being a new bike for you i would check the fork oil level and all the fasteners you can find on your bike..especially the brakes /wheels/oil drain/filter/everything. if you don't have a torque wrench, now is the time. and most importantly, HAVE FUN.
my 2 cents. peruse youtube for credible sources.

edit and edit again..

the first video is the most clear and simple, watch them all and then watch them again! set your sag now. don't wait until the last week before you do your td. do it early at your leisure - you dont want to stress about this the night before your trackday. sag should generally be 30-40 mm. and ball park, sag on the front should be about 5mm or more than on the rear - but not less than 4mm more - others may want to chime in on these numbers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtzTyCKh5fY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUgAbWj0zAU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxlB7hpp1mI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFV7ZJrORWw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9yQylk1heI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drtOQeurOXA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9zUIzU1dwQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqpVtJQxFSc

+1
Last edited by dricked; 03-30-2016 at 02:19 PM.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom