Yamaha XT250 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yamaha XT250

ifiddles

so I am thinking of adding an endure to my garage and found the Yamaha XT250...it has the shortest seat height at 31.9 (Suzuki 200 does as well but it's a smaller engine) and I wanted to see if anyone here has one and can comment on it...I have an FZ6R which I would keep for long distance trips with the fiancé...the XT would be for booting around town and maybe hitting a few gravel roads (and possibly some trail riding) up north...how is it on short highway jaunts (Milton - Cambridge)?...how is it in gravel and dirt?...I'm 100 lbs, 5'4" with a 29" inseam and might even have to lower it (I found a couple of lowering kits for it too online)...I've looked on kijiji but not much there for sale, so if anyone has one or knows of one being sold, let me know...thanks!

It's a simple, honest bike. Very popular with motorcycle safety courses because of its ease of use, light weight, reliability etc.

For highway riding? I dunno about that for 400-series highways. It's got limited power and with a top speed around 75MPH you risk becoming a pylon at WOT with zero reserve. It is very lightweight (like 290-lbs soaking wet) and will get blown around quite a bit in behind trucks and cube vans; you and the bike together would weigh 250 pounds less than me on my Fazer 800 and I get tossed around pretty good sometimes...). Part of what makes it so good for in-town riding and trail riding makes it kind not suitable for 400-series riding. I'd personally stick to secondary roads (so 80KPH limits) on it.

..the XT would be for booting around town and maybe hitting a few gravel roads (and possibly some trail riding) up north...how is it on short highway jaunts (Milton - Cambridge)?...how is it in gravel and dirt?

Depending on what tires are on it, it should be a hoot in gravel and dirt. As the previous person said - it wouldn't be much fun on the highway. I just picked up a TE250 - looking forward to it.

I have a 08 XT250 and I love it.I have taken it on the highway to get to the trails and it will do it. Not happily but it will do it. It is great for the trails. The stock tires are not great for sand but considering it is a compromise, it does ok. I consider it perfect and insurance is cheap.

Most fun on the trails would be a dedicated trail bike. Tires and suspension would be specific for the offroad conditions (dirt/mud/rocks/roots/ruts/sand).
Any dirtbike can be pulled by a small car using a light duty trailer or even a hitch mounted carrier with no issues.
Anything happen to the bike you can still get home.

KTM 690 Enduro R. It's does everything!

"booting around town and maybe hitting a few gravel roads (and possibly some trail riding) up north"

Then it's perfect. I have about 200km on my 2013 XT250 and it is:
1. A great commuter. You can comfortably take advantage of all the gaps in stopped or slow traffic. Very nimble, and zippy enough. It is ridiculously easy to ride.
2. Confident on trails. It's not a WR250R, but the suspension is fine. Even the stock tires are okay. Very light. Needs a skid plate.
3. Freeway? No idea...but I saw plenty of posts elsewhere saying that it is done. I would rather take the highways and byways to the trails, not the 400 series. I am sure I will on occasion, say, 6am on a Saturday to get to Ganaraska. That's the compromise.

I am 190lbs and have a 30" inseam and I flat foot. Can you get toes down? That should be enough.

Back
Top Bottom