breaking bad habits/ practicing new skills | GTAMotorcycle.com

breaking bad habits/ practicing new skills

justride

hey fellow riders. Any new skills you working on or getting ride of bad habits this riding season?One bad habit I have is holding the clutch when cornering. So I have been "powering" through even though I going slow upon entering. ride safe

Oh yeah. There are few I would like to get rid off and improve on others.

I usually keep my toe on the brakes and end up having them depressed all the time. I was told by someone to keep my foot on the footpegs and slide it down when I want to brake. I am not sure if it was a good advice but something to definitely think upon.

I am going to improve upon cornering towards my right. I am good with cornering left but when it comes to my right side I have always struggled to be in the right position. I heard that it is pretty common to have one strong and one weak cornering side. Does anyone else having this issue?

I had the same rear brake issue at first, but when I was taking the M1 Exit course the instructor told me to keep the "balls of my feet" on the pegs and then drop them underneath the clutch lever or on top of the rear brake lever only when I needed them. Regarding the cornering, I'm the opposite -- my right turns are fine, but need to work on my left turns. I also need to work on downshifting while using the front brake.

If you have a parking lot nearby, it's also a good idea every spring to practice your emergency braking so you can reacquaint yourself with how sensitive your brakes are and to develop or maintain that muscle memory. If you have a few small cones or markers of some sort, you could also practice tight slow speed turns to help improve your balance and throttle/braking/clutch control.

hey fellow riders. Any new skills you working on or getting ride of bad habits this riding season?One bad habit I have is holding the clutch when cornering. So I have been "powering" through even though I going slow upon entering. ride safe

The way I got around the clutch-in when cornering is feeling the huge difference of feeling planted and in control while cornering.

Pick a dry day and test out clutch-in when cornering vs accelerating out of the corner - ideally in a parking lot. After you're comfortable with that, move on to wet roads. The confidence you build by feeling more planted cornering will get you out of the habit.

If you have a parking lot nearby, it's also a good idea every spring to practice your emergency braking so you can reacquaint yourself with how sensitive your brakes are and to develop or maintain that muscle memory. If you have a few small cones or markers of some sort, you could also practice tight slow speed turns to help improve your balance and throttle/braking/clutch control.

+1.

I've been riding over 25 years and I do the above every spring, or if I buy a new bike mid-season.

thanks Plua for the tip. I am going try that for sure.
cbr 250
mississauga

thanks Plua for the tip. I am going try that for sure.
cbr 250
mississauga

Note: Be extra careful around painted lines and man hole covers as those can be slippery especially when wet.

And tar snakes when it gets hot - a very uncomfortable feeling when the back tyre slides on one of them.
I also start to re-read David Hough's books round about now to get ready for the start of riding. Mastering the Ride / Proficient Motorcycling

Back
Top Bottom