Getting a new bike. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Getting a new bike.

morkys

Hey folks. I am essentially a new rider. I am turning 46 years old. I've owned a mini bike as a kid, and later, a 1984 Honda XL 250 that I never put on the road, and lastly a I had a Virago 500 on the road for a couple of months. I have ridden a Honda CR 125 two-stroke around a moto cross track and I road a CRF 250X in Ganaraska for a day. I took my M2 course 10 years ago but I let my licence lapse instead of getting my M licence. I basically sold the Yam Virago 500 and stopped ridding at the time. I am taking the M2 course again April 30. Right now I am assembling gear (Helmet, gloves, boots, pants and jacket) and shopping for a bike. I am an avid mountain biker, but I ride a Full Suspension 29er because it is easiest on my back.

Here are the candidates for my first "real" new bike. First "real" bike meaning I am buying it with the intention of keeping it for a long time and riding it to work, running errands, visiting friends, going for rides here and there, and on short trips etc. It's not just a temporary thing. I want to be able to go on a tour even if I have to modify or add luggage to the bike.

So here are my top bikes being considered:

2015 or 2016 Honda
CB 500X or;
CBR 500F (with a windscreen);
CBR 500R ABS (least likely as I want a bike more suited to touring or gravel road, hence the 500X as #1 option)

2016 KTM
Duke 390 or;
Duke 690

I would have considered the Yamaha FZ-07 but without ABS even as an option, Yamaha doesn't get my money this time. Yes, I know one could learn to ride without it, and purists don't necessarily need it or even want it, but I've read enough about it that ABS is something I want. Regardless of ABS, the Yamaha YZF-R3, although a great little sport style bike, is too cramped for my low back. The same goes for the CBR 125, CBR 250 and CBR 300 and all the smaller bikes like the Ninja 250/300 etc etc. The seat to peg distance is too short.

Does anybody know just how expensive it is to maintain a KTM like the Duke 390 or 690?
With the Duke 390's small fuel tank, could I still tour around Ontario with it?

It seems like the bike season in Canada doesn't suit those looking for the newest bike. As the newest bikes are coming, so is the riding weather, hence fewer deals to be had. Does anybody have any advice as to what sort of deal I should usually be able to get on a new bike? What sort of "best price" negotiation can I expect?
Is the Spring bike show a good place to actually make a bike purchase?

thanks in advance for any info,

:)

Hey folks. I am essentially a new rider. I am turning 46 years old. I've owned a mini bike as a kid, and later, a 1984 Honda XL 250 that I never put on the road, and lastly a I had a Virago 500 on the road for a couple of months. I have ridden a Honda CR 125 two-stroke around a moto cross track and I road a CRF 250X in Ganaraska for a day. I took my M2 course 10 years ago but I let my licence lapse instead of getting my M licence. I basically sold the Yam Virago 500 and stopped ridding at the time. I am taking the M2 course again April 30. Right now I am assembling gear (Helmet, gloves, boots, pants and jacket) and shopping for a bike. I am an avid mountain biker, but I ride a Full Suspension 29er because it is easiest on my back.

Here are the candidates for my first "real" new bike. First "real" bike meaning I am buying it with the intention of keeping it for a long time and riding it to work, running errands, visiting friends, going for rides here and there, and on short trips etc. It's not just a temporary thing. I want to be able to go on a tour even if I have to modify or add luggage to the bike.

So here are my top bikes being considered:

2015 or 2016 Honda
CB 500X or;
CBR 500F (with a windscreen);
CBR 500R ABS (least likely as I want a bike more suited to touring or gravel road, hence the 500X as #1 option)

2016 KTM
Duke 390 or;
Duke 690

I would have considered the Yamaha FZ-07 but without ABS even as an option, Yamaha doesn't get my money this time. Yes, I know one could learn to ride without it, and purists don't necessarily need it or even want it, but I've read enough about it that ABS is something I want. Regardless of ABS, the Yamaha YZF-R3, although a great little sport style bike, is too cramped for my low back. The same goes for the CBR 125, CBR 250 and CBR 300 and all the smaller bikes like the Ninja 250/300 etc etc. The seat to peg distance is too short.

Does anybody know just how expensive it is to maintain a KTM like the Duke 390 or 690?
With the Duke 390's small fuel tank, could I still tour around Ontario with it?

It seems like the bike season in Canada doesn't suit those looking for the newest bike. As the newest bikes are coming, so is the riding weather, hence fewer deals to be had. Does anybody have any advice as to what sort of deal I should usually be able to get on a new bike? What sort of "best price" negotiation can I expect?
Is the Spring bike show a good place to actually make a bike purchase?

thanks in advance for any info,

:)

If you can go test ride a CB500X. As an avid mountain biker you've pointed out you might want to tour or lightly off-road your motorcycle and the 500X is perfect for that. I don't really think you can go wrong with any of your options.

Have you chatted with your insurance agent? A 500 might be a friendlier option than, say, a 690.

@morkys check out a few of the dual sport threads. You'll see some names like @alon, @supernam, @chasem....etc. they have/ had some of the bikes you have mentioned and do some of the things you are interested in. You should be able to find most of the info you need and some you didn't know you needed.
Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Hey welcome to the forum! I bought a bike in January for the same goal as you. Touring with the occasional off-road...My choice ended up being the Honda NC750X. Cheap bike to maintain and to insure. Probably a lot better on the road than off. Didn't test that just yet.
3a1c347c6b6db6bf2fd6d4fd8d90013d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Yes, I should check into my insurance. I like the KTM's for their light weight. I like the Honda for their all around well liked useful-ness.

The NC750X looks nice, but I want something a little more standard/sporty rather than adventure and want a lighter rather than a heavier bike. That Honda is really nice looking though. I hear the NC7xx have bucket loads of friendly useful torque.

Where did you buy your Honda NC750X?

Last edited:
Looks like Markham Outdoor Power, maybe?

Hey welcome to the forum! I bought a bike in January for the same goal as you. Touring with the occasional off-road...My choice ended up being the Honda NC750X. Cheap bike to maintain and to insure. Probably a lot better on the road than off. Didn't test that just yet.
3a1c347c6b6db6bf2fd6d4fd8d90013d.jpg

Mental note: sit on this bike at the spring show.
Looks nice ?

Thanks. Yes, I should check into my insurance. I like the KTM's for their light weight. I like the Honda for their all around well liked useful-ness.

The NC750X looks nice, but I want something a little more standard/sporty rather than adventure and want a lighter rather than a heavier bike. That Honda is really nice looking though. I hear the NC7xx have bucket loads of friendly useful torque.

Where did you buy your Honda NC750X?

Yea I did buy it at Markham Outdoor. They have another one used right now for around 6k and it's less adventure more sport set-up. The one I bought is set more for off-road than the regular one. The tank is under the seat so it makes the bike feel less heavy than it actually is. I just rode it for 2-3h so far but love it. I know already I won't regret my choice. It's not a powerhouse but love how it's geared. Bit more like what a car feels. First and second gear feels smooth. Anyway...bike show is good place to do a purchase. All dealers are willing to come down. Tell them you are ready to make a purchase but be clear that they have competition all around the floor...lol

I ride a 2009 versys 650 and love it. Very comfortable, quick and handles awesome. Adventure styled bikes are great touring bikes and also great for commuting. They make excellent all-arounders.
c8b2def2d4cd093fa46b39cd13686f28.jpg

0ffdfa0c89ff3ac1733f7ea19ffcff57.jpg

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

I ride a 2009 versys 650 and love it. Very comfortable, quick and handles awesome. Adventure styled bikes are great touring bikes and also great for commuting. They make excellent all-arounders.
c8b2def2d4cd093fa46b39cd13686f28.jpg

0ffdfa0c89ff3ac1733f7ea19ffcff57.jpg

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

happy the tree didn't break it...it's nice with those tires installed! can't wait to go for a drive with you!

Versys 650
Nc750X
V strom

All excellent bikes

Don't forget klr650, dr650 if you want more dirt oriented

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom