Sport touring tires | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sport touring tires

Splatter

High milage guys...whats your fav tire? I'm talking HEAVY bikes and aggressive riding. I'm not happy with the Bridgestone 023 that my FJR1300es came with. After only 10K the front is cupped so bad that the handlebars will start to shimmy when my hands are off them. Still plenty of meat on both front and rear. The BT-023 was sticky enough, just expected more even wear... And yeah my tire pressure is always correct

I'm on my second set of Pilot Road 4's and really like them. Excellent in wet, nice even wear, and good mileage. I'm hoping to get 18k off the rear. The front currently has 18k on it and still tracks quite nice.

I have same bike, replaced them with Angel GT's, I'd say they handle pretty well.
Not sure on milage for them yet but with 6k on them rears still look about 20-30% worn and fronts down maybe 40% worn.
I'd buy them again.
Also very sure footed in heavy rain.
5a725cc6d42597c4e6f1776bb4f468a2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Dunlop Road Smart IIs have done me very well. Liked them better than the PR2s (which were great as well) but haven't tried the PR3 or 4s yet.

Cupping is a sign of either under inflation or overloading.
Go online and see what Bridgestone has to say about inflation pressure for these specific tires.
The owners manual may say one thing, but Bridgestone itself may say another.
I`m a big guy, so I always inflate my tires to the maximum set by the tire maker, not the motorcycle maker.

Cupping is a sign of either under inflation or overloading.
Go online and see what Bridgestone has to say about inflation pressure for these specific tires.
The owners manual may say one thing, but Bridgestone itself may say another.
I`m a big guy, so I always inflate my tires to the maximum set by the tire maker, not the motorcycle maker.
Nah its a pretty common issue on the fjr and other heavy bikes.
Many cupping topics on sport touring forums and diffrent tires and pressures tried.
Seams to be an inherent issue with big bikes that are ride hard. Some tires do better then others but in te end they all cup to some degree.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Not nearly as heavy a bike, but I've had Pirelli Angel's on my Bandit and LOVED them! I have over 15,000 kms on them now and while the centres are worn down pretty good, they are still certifiable. I like them so much I will be getting a new set later this spring without even shopping around for other brands. I know they are available for the heavier ST bikes too.

I've had the Angels since they were introduced. Nothing but good things to say about them. I normally get 20k on a rear & around 40k on a front. I end up throwing out the front before they are wasted. This is for a sport bike though.

I might try something different this year if other tire prices are comparable

"Cupped or scalloped dips appearing around the surface of the tread could indicate loose, worn, or sometimes bent suspension parts. Worn shock absorbers or unbalanced tires / wheels / brake rotors can also cause cupping, but the cupping would typically be more of a concentric pattern."

The Avon Storm 3D X-M is a sports touring tyre that combines the performance of the Storm Ultra tyre with the increased longevity demanded by those who use their bikes for business as well as pleasure. Made in Britain and aimed at the hypersport motorcycle market, the Avon Storm 3D X-M is a new derivative of the immensely popular Avon Storm Ultra sports touring tyre. The new tyre takes the unique technology found in the 3D Ultra sports tyre family and uses it to create a sports touring tyre which also delivers higher mileage.

• High performance plus extended mileage
  • The X-M will deliver 15%-20% extra mileage compared to the current Storm range
  • Interlocking three dimensional points hidden in the sipes to improve stability and grip
  • Limit tread flex and allow the tyre to warm up quickly
  • High performance single and multi compound super rich silica tread enhances wet grip
  • Superb handling and stability characteristics
  • Typical fitments: Suzuki Hayabusa, Honda Blackbird, Kawasaki GTR1400, Suzuki GSX1400

I just got my set of Michelin pilot road 4s, cant wait to try them out, heard alot of good things. The GTs are supposed to be great for the big sport touring bikes

Dunlop Roadsmart II. I find they grip better in the dry compared to the PR3. Seem to last as long (I've got 12k on a set now and there's still tons of rubber left so I have no idea when they'll actually need replacing).

I got Pilot Roads and really like them - Can't speak for longevity but they stick to the ground and are supposed to last. This is my first set.

I'm getting 15K out of Pirelli Angel GTs, I think they are great tires. For a comparison, I got 6K out of the oem BT015s. I ride fairly aggressively, ride em right to the edges.
I found a bit of an oscillation with the angel GT when laid over coming from the rear end, switched to GT with the A spec rear for heavy bikes, and it feels solid leaned way over.
Never had a hint of cupping on I think 5 sets of Angels.

2 thumbs up for Avon Storm 3D tires. I am getting 17K-20K on a set on my Blackbird and they even come with a road hazard warranty which I have used twice now, on my 3rd set. Great grip dry or wet.

Read nothing but good things on the fjr site about the Angels GT so I have a set waiting to be mounted.

I'm getting 15K out of Pirelli Angel GTs, I think they are great tires. For a comparison, I got 6K out of the oem BT015s. I ride fairly aggressively, ride em right to the edges.
I found a bit of an oscillation with the angel GT when laid over coming from the rear end, switched to GT with the A spec rear for heavy bikes, and it feels solid leaned way over.
Never had a hint of cupping on I think 5 sets of Angels.
Thorold representttt! Im in thorold too. I'll keep an eye out.

Ever tried any of the PRs for comparison?

Back
Top Bottom