After riding my friends Ninja 300 for a season, ready to get my own wheels... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

After riding my friends Ninja 300 for a season, ready to get my own wheels...

I was quoted for 200ish a month or more online and I tried calling a few places and got 100ish a month. Male 21 Vaughan. My best quote was from desjardins if u wanna try o.o

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Wow awesome thanks... got your M yet? What bike? Will try desjardins

I had the S version with clipons which does have more lean angle.
However, I think the foot pegs are in the same spot. My legs were the main issue on a longer ride.

KLR is super ugly. Very solid bike though.

To be honest, even though you said it's not your style - a V-Strom 650 would be perect for you. Can still do gravel roads very well and is a superb tourer.
Or find a Yamaha FZ6 (not FZ6R) but that's more of a super sport in sheep skin.

To me riding is more about ....riding. Aesthetics come 2nd.

Both bikes I own now are generally considered fugly.

Why the major distinction between FZ6 and FZ6R? It just so happens that 90% of the FZ6's on kijiji are all R models.

I will definitely try my best to soften my feel on the VStrom then... same motor anyways

Huge x2 on this.

From one postal code to another can make signifigant differences in your quotes, so aside from not expecting anything "cheap" as a new rider, anything aside from that so far as what to expect will be purely guessing.

FWIW Dalton Timmis is worth a call, I think they insure under 25...but as others have mentioned, once you're >25 things get easier.

I've heard Dalton Timmis time and time again so i would definitely give them a call. The only reason I even asked this question is to figure out if its worth pursuing riding (on one of those bikes) this season. I will not accept paying $300 a month. $200 is definitely reasonable to me but a premium more than $3500 is a no no.

I have a drz400sm and love it but I would not choose it over an sv650 if it's main purpose was a 45 min hwy commute every week. That will get old quick. They are for pleasure riding, commuting on highways... not so much. I've done Milton-Waterloo a few times on the drz and it's totally doable, but I take the car simply because it's not an enjoyable ride on that hwy in the slightest bit.

Also, if you've done an msf course your rates at 24 should be pretty good with desjardin on either bike. At 24 full coverage on DRZ clean record, ~1100-1200 a year if I remember correctly. It's much cheaper for me now too.

I'm 6'4", 225 with 36' legs.
I ride an 03 sv with a bit taller rear shock and a taller front tire which is pretty common and cheap upgrade.
I run the adjustable rear set adapter plate from SVracing.

Unfortunately, being the height, you'll find cramped on alot of bikes with the exception of dirt/supermotos or standards (FZ for ex).
Just remember, most bikes can be modified to suit your height. Also, its difficult to find what fits you based on forum recommendations. We all carry our height and weight different. My comfort with my legs back may be someone elses pain.

that's not a bs quote, its close to what you're looking at. On the highway where even a Ninja 250 is adequate a DRZ will have a harder time, not that it can't be done...but for what you want to do I'd go the 500 or 650 route. Also don't kid yourself into thinking after 10-15 rides or about 1000 km you've gotten bored or 'know' what you're doing.

In my neck of the woods and most of the the 'real' riders here 1000km is just an average nice weekend's worth of riding....

ps...

Miss-Loo hwy is the most boring ****ing route and will do nothing to improve your riding skills. Honestly, if you can take the extra time go up Trafalgar, hit Side Rd. 15, keep going past Guelph Line, left at the very end of the road, right where the road you're on turns to gravel but the one you're turning on to is paved. Then blast it down all the way down to hwy 6 and turn right. Turn left on Victoria or any major road and it takes you straight into Loo. Its usually quiet on these roads, enforcement is low and when it opens up you can really rip it. Just don't on hwy 6.

You will actually improve as a rider, have so much more fun with your bike and have a fun time getting to school (I'm assuming) whereas on the highway you're just sitting there thinking there's not enough power and you've gotten 'bored'. My cousin did the hwy route all summer on the 403 after about 10,000 km thought he was pretty good. Then he'd come on a proper ride with me, not a 'commute' and I'd hate it because the whole time I'd be looking back making sure he's ok and its even worse when the person is family and got into riding because of you! Any time it got slightly challenging he'd just lose his **** and crash...at least 3 ****ing times that I can clearly remember with me on the most intermediate corners when I wasn't even fast and once in the rain.

One time he ****ing crashed literally 5 min after leaving the dealer turning right at Woodbine/Derry. I leaned nicely and went through the corner whereas he got scared or something when he saw that little extra center median with the yield sign some right handers have. I look back see him laid out and thought wtf?? How'd he **** up there?? Turned around checked out the bike then limped our way back to the dealer to get the dumbass a new shift lever. Needless to say I pretty much wouldn't let him ride with me after that

Point is going straight putting on km's just does not add to your skill set or put these type of spontaneous situations in front of you in which you have to react quickly and maybe differently to what you're accustomed to. After 1000 km you haven't even scratched the surface so be very aware that things happen very quickly on two wheels and **** ups are very costly, and I'm not just speaking monetarily.

Last edited:
@Husqy +1 for Dejardins for me and Dalton Timmis was a close second.
**funny story- everyone on here says call Andy Singh at DT....I enter a Twitter contest at SX show. Tweet to DT and get a quote for a chance to win 1 year insurance. The agent that contacts me? Andy Singh. Very decent price, btw.***

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Check out that Kawi 500 R that was recently listed.

I loved mine.

May not be sexy but plenty of aftermarket support, easy to maintain and plenty of pep.

Check out if it's in decent shape mechanically. Don't expect much for a 15/16 yo machine in terms of looking good.

If you can come to an agreement, it can be a fun little machine. Even for a 6'3" rider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a drz400sm and love it but I would not choose it over an sv650 if it's main purpose was a 45 min hwy commute every week. That will get old quick. They are for pleasure riding, commuting on highways... not so much. I've done Milton-Waterloo a few times on the drz and it's totally doable, but I take the car simply because it's not an enjoyable ride on that hwy in the slightest bit.

Also, if you've done an msf course your rates at 24 should be pretty good with desjardin on either bike. At 24 full coverage on DRZ clean record, ~1100-1200 a year if I remember correctly. It's much cheaper for me now too.

Thank you so much. This is exactly the response I was looking for. I think i'll be looking more at the SV650 and Vstrom... although to be honest even the ninja 400 isn't too bad.

I didn't believe for a second that it was gonna be more than $3000 cuz I'm 24 and I've done both MSF courses plus held my full M for almost a year now. Thanks dude!

I'm 6'4", 225 with 36' legs.
I ride an 03 sv with a bit taller rear shock and a taller front tire which is pretty common and cheap upgrade.
I run the adjustable rear set adapter plate from SVracing.

Unfortunately, being the height, you'll find cramped on alot of bikes with the exception of dirt/supermotos or standards (FZ for ex).
Just remember, most bikes can be modified to suit your height. Also, its difficult to find what fits you based on forum recommendations. We all carry our height and weight different. My comfort with my legs back may be someone elses pain.

Yeah i have the advantage of being rather thin (180 lbs, 6'3"), so shocks aren't usually an issue. Shock heights however are a very good point i didn't think about as a good mod for an SV.

And yeah, we are SOL especially cuz we both have 36" legs. Thats the toughest thing but lucky for me i like standards/nakeds the most appealing. Thanks a lot for the input! Nice to know a bigger guy can ride an SV650!

that's not a bs quote, its close to what you're looking at. On the highway where even a Ninja 250 is adequate a DRZ will have a harder time, not that it can't be done...but for what you want to do I'd go the 500 or 650 route. Also don't kid yourself into thinking after 10-15 rides or about 1000 km you've gotten bored or 'know' what you're doing.

In my neck of the woods and most of the the 'real' riders here 1000km is just an average nice weekend's worth of riding....

ps...

Miss-Loo hwy is the most boring ****ing route and will do nothing to improve your riding skills. Honestly, if you can take the extra time go up Trafalgar, hit Side Rd. 15, keep going past Guelph Line, left at the very end of the road, right where the road you're on turns to gravel but the one you're turning on to is paved. Then blast it down all the way down to hwy 6 and turn right. Turn left on Victoria or any major road and it takes you straight into Loo. Its usually quiet on these roads, enforcement is low and when it opens up you can really rip it. Just don't on hwy 6.

You will actually improve as a rider, have so much more fun with your bike and have a fun time getting to school (I'm assuming) whereas on the highway you're just sitting there thinking there's not enough power and you've gotten 'bored'. My cousin did the hwy route all summer on the 403 after about 10,000 km thought he was pretty good. Then he'd come on a proper ride with me, not a 'commute' and I'd hate it because the whole time I'd be looking back making sure he's ok and its even worse when the person is family and got into riding because of you! Any time it got slightly challenging he'd just lose his **** and crash...at least 3 ****ing times that I can clearly remember with me on the most intermediate corners when I wasn't even fast and once in the rain.

One time he ****ing crashed literally 5 min after leaving the dealer turning right at Woodbine/Derry. I leaned nicely and went through the corner whereas he got scared or something when he saw that little extra center median with the yield sign some right handers have. I look back see him laid out and thought wtf?? How'd he **** up there?? Turned around checked out the bike then limped our way back to the dealer to get the dumbass a new shift lever. Needless to say I pretty much wouldn't let him ride with me after that

Point is going straight putting on km's just does not add to your skill set or put these type of spontaneous situations in front of you in which you have to react quickly and maybe differently to what you're accustomed to. After 1000 km you haven't even scratched the surface so be very aware that things happen very quickly on two wheels and **** ups are very costly, and I'm not just speaking monetarily.

My biggest issues with the 250 class is my height. After 40 mins on my buddy's 300, I was feeling very cramped. Not cuz I'm super tall, but because I have very long legs.

Of those 1000 kms, only 20kms or so were on the 400 series. It was all back roads and seeking out twisties (Forks of the credit, terra cotta, rattlesnake point etc). Last season was my first street kilometers... I rode dirt when I was a kid so the bike handling doesn't bother me, but there is a steep transition to street riding. I added to my street riding experience by doing 2500 kms through vietnam just last month which is of course different, but all practice is welcome. I just wanted to avoid the regular lecture of "you should start on a 250". I am very responsible with my throttle and a bigger bike doesn't tempt me to go fast. I did however, ride one day with 50 km/hr winds on the highway using the Ninja 300 and let me tell you, it was not fun at all. Not to mention the lack of passing power and whether I like it or not, I will be doing some highway riding in the future.

I still look at street riding humbly. Like I said there is a steep transition and I admit I don't know anything advanced. But for my body and needs, a 250 just won't do right now.

Also, thanks a lot for the alternate route. The only reason I take the 401 is because I've always driven so it never mattered. I know really well about the cop presence on Hwy 6 :p Went to school in Hamilton visiting my girlfriend in Waterloo all through my undergrad. I was gifted a speeding ticket 3 years ago on Hwy 6 so I always take it easy there!

@Husqy +1 for Dejardins for me and Dalton Timmis was a close second.
**funny story- everyone on here says call Andy Singh at DT....I enter a Twitter contest at SX show. Tweet to DT and get a quote for a chance to win 1 year insurance. The agent that contacts me? Andy Singh. Very decent price, btw.***

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up! Not the first time to hear desjardins and DT. Happy to have a contact at DT and will definitely give him a call! Thanks!

Check out that Kawi 500 R that was recently listed.

I loved mine.

May not be sexy but plenty of aftermarket support, easy to maintain and plenty of pep.

Check out if it's in decent shape mechanically. Don't expect much for a 15/16 yo machine in terms of looking good.

If you can come to an agreement, it can be a fun little machine. Even for a 6'3" rider.

Mind linking the page? There's tons on Kijiji but I assume you meant here on GTA?

2000 Ninja 500 35,000 Black $1,995.00
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...00/1149861773?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

2000 Kawasaki Ninja 500R

35,000 + KM (Still Riding)

Black with red accents

50 Wheel Horsepower

4 seconds to 100km

6 speed transmission

Adjustable rear suspention

Comfortable to ride alone or with passenger

Very reliable

I will discount the price if you don't want me to do the safety/Carb cleaning and valves before sale

My Insurance through TDMM: $790.00 per year or $66.00 per month. The same as a Ninja 250, but it has twice the power

(cheap even if you're younger)

Cold Start:

https://youtu.be/o0FPcywX7pI

Cold Idle:

https://youtu.be/gYG0wqcRclc

For people who haven't seen one before:

The Ninja 500 or EX500 was produced from 1986 to 2007.

it came with a bulletproof engine, low centre of gravity, great handling and plenty of power to outpace most vehicles on the road. It puts out 50HP at the wheel, this means it is more powerful that Honda's new 500CC bikes, the CBR 500 and CB 500 that cost $7,000+ now. Because this design has been around so long, There are tons of parts and mods out there for power/styling. If anything ever goes wrong with the bike, like you drop it learning and need a new part, there will always be fresh parts available at local junk yards / cycle salvage or eBay.

The 500 has a cult following. www.ex-500.com is a website dedicated to the bike with tons of people willing to help and talk about the bike. Some little things I like about the bike are: there are luggage hooks on the back, making cargo nets a breeze, under-seat storage is good for small items, many parts in common with other bikes and lots of extra parts around, low centre of gravity for easy learning and balancing, low seat height (5'4 lady has put both feet down), light enough for the city but has enough wind protection for highway touring (500km days are comfortable and the mirrors block wind on your hands so you don't get cold) and the best things is you can work on this yourself to save money because it's such a simple bike.

I can answer any other questions. Just email me.

Condition:

lots of little scratches and dents all over the bike, but it still looks good.

-----------------

Details

*New Michelin rear tire (this thing will rip off the rim before it leaves the road, I fully recommend road pilots)

*New O-Ring chain

*New 42 tooth sprocket

*New headlight (I like to see where I'm going so I got a nice one, don't remember what it's called but it works well)

*New Battery (March 2016)

Links about the bike:

[url]http://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles.com/kawasaki-ninja-500-review

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_Ninja_500R

Ninja CBR Cbr500 Touring comfortable cb500 cbx cbx500 cbr600 nina600 636 hornet cb599 rocket ship beginner learner learn first ninja250 250r 250 ninja 300 ninja300 motorcycle bmw kawasaki honda suzuki yamaha r3 cbr250 cbr300
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showpost.php?p=2393049

Why the major distinction between FZ6 and FZ6R? It just so happens that 90% of the FZ6's on kijiji are all R models.

I will definitely try my best to soften my feel on the VStrom then... same motor anyways

That would be because they are 2 totally different bikes that share almost nothing between them (with FZ6 being better in every category).
FZ6 is also larger and half naked which I thought would be more up your alley.

I always thought that is was a cheap trick by Yamaha to make an inferior motorcycle and name it in such a way as if it was an upgrade to a superior machine. On its own there's nothing wrong with FZ6R. It falls into the same category as SV650S.

That would be because they are 2 totally different bikes that share almost nothing between them (with FZ6 being better in every category).

I always thought that is was a cheap trick by Yamaha to make an inferior motorcycle and name it in such a way as if it was an upgrade to a superior machine. On its own there's nothing wrong with FZ6R. It falls into the same category as SV650S.

Really? Just looked it up online and the FZ6 has the i4 motor... Won't that make insurance skyrocket for me considering that a supersport engine? I will definitely keep an eye out but I was concentrating on Vtwins because I heard the inline 4s are super expensive to insure.

Got nothing to do with engine configuration.

For example a Triumph Daytona is a 3cyl bike but it will be considered a super sport.

It just happens so that most bikes on the racing circuit are inline 4s and their street destined replicas are what the insurance companies are targetting. You will find that insurance companies are very confused with motorcycle anyhow.

However, a FZ6 is a sport touring bike. Its engine is tuned for more low and mid vs an R6. I'm certain that you should be able to get a quote on it that would be similar to that of SV650.
There are numerous inline 4s that are not classified as super sports.

Just avoid your CBR600, R6, GSX-R600 and ZX-6Rs.

Last edited:

I thought like this about the two bikes at one time, then I rode the 6R and realized how smooth it is compared to the old bike. The suspension just works better, the tranny is 10x smoother, the R actually has torque down low unlike the Fazer, the running cost is less on the R and the tires are cheaper to replace.

Trust me I was in the exact same place you were a year ago. There is a reason everyone that has owned and ridden the 6R loves it and it continually beats out all the bikes in its class. It just flat out works. The FZ6 was a solid bike in its day but that day has past and the ones still around are getting long in the tooth. Bikini bikes look old and uninspiring these days.

If you are going to recommend a bike like the FZ6 recommend the FZ8 Fazer instead. It's the real successor to the FZ6 and is a superb machine that fell victim to the FZ-09 hype machine.

They are all good bikes tho.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom