After riding my friends Ninja 300 for a season, ready to get my own wheels... | GTAMotorcycle.com

After riding my friends Ninja 300 for a season, ready to get my own wheels...

Husqy

Last summer I rode my friend's Ninja 300. Probably took it out about 10-15 times putting about 1000km on it. I am eternally grateful because people are right, you can get bored of those bikes quickly.

I have two main questions.
1) DRZ 400 SM or SV650?
2) Approximate insurance I should get quoted?

1) I'm 6'3" with really long legs so my choices are limited compared to most. I love any kind of naked/supermoto style bike so I'm leaning to these two. I love the DRZ; problem is I've heard they aren't great for the highway and I will be making regular trips from Mississauga to Waterloo. Also the prices on them are inflated because supermotos are 'in' right now. /r/motorcycles led me to start thinking about the SV650. Thoughts?

2) I got my M license last august (Did M2-M Course)... M2 in 2013 (Did M1-M2 Course). Never been insured on a bike. 24 year old male living in Mississauga. Clean record. Does it help that I've had continuous auto insurance since I was 16? Anyways, got some BS quotes from Kanetix.ca saying it would be $3200-3900 for the DRZ or SV650. Anyone know roughly what I should expect to pay?

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
.......Anyways, got some BS quotes from Kanetix.ca saying it would be $3200-3900 for the DRZ or SV650. Anyone know roughly what I should expect to pay?

Thanks so much!

Probably, roughly, exactly what you were quoted...your rates won't go down until you are 25 and older, car insurance has nothing to do with bike insurance, and most of the time neither do the courses......

start making calls, and see what your cheapest quote will be, and then take it......

Supermotos are becoming hipster-ific: a trend that many people are blindly following for looks alone.

Tread carefully here: They're extremely light (for motorcycles), and more unstable at highway speeds because those bikes were meant to be ripping single track dirt trails, where agility is more important that straight-line stability, aerodynamics and speed. "Supermotos" are dirt bikes, and meant to be thrown (at will) into powerslides, and to conduct all sorts of hooligan behavior. If you have not the skills (or venue) to do these kinds of antics, it's probably not for you (justsayin).

Don't be the pretty boy that rocks a beard, know what I mean?

SV is a great bike - I have the naked one, which I bought as my first bike. This year will be season 6 on it, and while I look forward to an upgrade, my wallet isn't quite ready yet, and I have no problem with that. Its a great bike, good for starters who don't want to ride a 250 or 300.

Smaller bikes can be boring until you learn to ride a bit better.

Excitement isn't something that I crave when on a ride.

Have you thought about a VStrom or VerSys?

If this area -- southern Ontario -- had more twisties and more riding involved engaging corners (Mulholland Drive... *sigh*) I wouldn't mind a smaller displacement bike. But because our roads are basically straight and favor higher speeds and stability in place of flickability and agility, I prefer a larger displacement bike with a bit of mass for more relaxed riding & touring.

You might also consider an FZ-07...

Smaller bikes can be boring until you learn to ride a bit better.

Excitement isn't something that I crave when on a ride.

Have you thought about a VStrom or VerSys?

Yeah I've had those suggested to me a few times. I'm not too interested in them tbh (mostly because I am not a fan of fairings at all).

I do understand that they would be a good compromise, but again, won't the insurance be roughly the same as the SV650?

Ah yes,

I did already look into that. Pretty much my dream *affordable* bike right now. I checked and the insurance would only be about $200/year more than an SV650 but you can only find 2015s for obvious reasons. I was looking to spend about $4000 on my first bike and a 2007-2009 SV650 falls right into that budget.

If this area -- southern Ontario -- had more twisties and more riding involved engaging corners (Mulholland Drive... *sigh*) I wouldn't mind a smaller displacement bike. But because our roads are basically straight and favor higher speeds and stability in place of flickability and agility, I prefer a larger displacement bike with a bit of mass for more relaxed riding & touring.

You might also consider an FZ-07...

Ah yes,

I did already look into that. Pretty much my dream *affordable* bike right now. I checked and the insurance would only be about $200/year more than an SV650 but you can only find 2015s for obvious reasons. I was looking to spend about $4000 on my first bike and a 2007-2009 SV650 falls right into that budget.

Are you sure?

I had a few friends tell me just having an M2 for a year makes your rates drop tremendously. I guess it only counts for a year of riding? Anyways, that's why I started my licensing so early.. so on paper now I've had my M2 for almost 3 years and my M for almost a full year.

Also surprised because I know people who started on Ninja 250s at 20 years old with a fresh M2 and they paid about $2500.... the DRZ should only be a bit more than a ninja, but I am older and have my M....

Supermotos are becoming hipster-ific: a trend that many people are blindly following for looks alone.

Tread carefully here: They're extremely light (for motorcycles), and more unstable at highway speeds because those bikes were meant to be ripping single track dirt trails, where agility is more important that straight-line stability, aerodynamics and speed. "Supermotos" are dirt bikes, and meant to be thrown (at will) into powerslides, and to conduct all sorts of hooligan behavior. If you have not the skills (or venue) to do these kinds of antics, it's probably not for you (justsayin).

Don't be the pretty boy that rocks a beard, know what I mean?

SV is a great bike - I have the naked one, which I bought as my first bike. This year will be season 6 on it, and while I look forward to an upgrade, my wallet isn't quite ready yet, and I have no problem with that. Its a great bike, good for starters who don't want to ride a 250 or 300.

I have a soft spot for SMs because I rode dirt bikes when I was younger... So I'm quite familiar with them. But that is exactly what I was afraid of, "Unstable at highway speeds". As much as a DRZ would be fun from a hooligan perspective ripping up the suburbs, my weekly 45 min highway journey to Waterloo would suck massively. And I can admit that they would be much more fun once I'm more confident on the street too.

I love the naked one, exactly what I was looking for. I was looking for 2005+ because of the fuel injection and 2 spark plugs. What year is yours? How was your first year insurance wise?

I'm 6'3" with really long legs so my choices are limited compared to most. I love any kind of naked/supermoto style bike so I'm leaning to these two. I love the DRZ; problem is I've heard they aren't great for the highway and I will be making regular trips from Mississauga to Waterloo. Also the prices on them are inflated because supermotos are 'in' right now. /r/motorcycles led me to start thinking about the SV650.

I'd say the DL650 was made for you. It is really tall and fits a long legged rider perfectly. You say you don't like fairings - I'm guessing you have not ridden too far on any highways. If you are planning on riding between Mississauga and Waterloo on any kind of regular basis you will learn to LOVE a windshield, particularly when is it pouring rain!

I believe the wee-strom shares the same engine as the SV. This engine is extremely dependable and is more than enough to use as a touring bike. A friend of mine has one and has toured Eastern Canada and the North East US. He actually sold a ZG1000 Concours and traded down to a DL650, which he has now owned for over 5 years. Should I ever sell my ST this is one bike I would seriously consider.

I'd say the DL650 was made for you. It is really tall and fits a long legged rider perfectly. You say you don't like fairings - I'm guessing you have not ridden too far on any highways. If you are planning on riding between Mississauga and Waterloo on any kind of regular basis you will learn to LOVE a windshield, particularly when is it pouring rain!

I believe the wee-strom shares the same engine as the SV. This engine is extremely dependable and is more than enough to use as a touring bike. A friend of mine has one and has toured Eastern Canada and the North East US. He actually sold a ZG1000 Concours and traded down to a DL650, which he has now owned for over 5 years. Should I ever sell my ST this is one bike I would seriously consider.

Thanks for the pointers. I've heard the case for fairings on the highway for sure. I meant I didn't like the look of them :p

I will definitely give it consideration! Thanks a lot for the input!

I am 6ft tall and 32" inseam. I found SV650 a bit cramped. It's a small bike.

Try a KLR650. Super comfortable and does alright on the highway.
The bonus is, it will perform very nicely on gravel roads as well.
Just a bit heavy and big for single track.

You can also get a newer gen (2008 +) for around $3,000.

I have a soft spot for SMs because I rode dirt bikes when I was younger... So I'm quite familiar with them. But that is exactly what I was afraid of, "Unstable at highway speeds". As much as a DRZ would be fun from a hooligan perspective ripping up the suburbs, my weekly 45 min highway journey to Waterloo would suck massively. And I can admit that they would be much more fun once I'm more confident on the street too.

I love the naked one, exactly what I was looking for. I was looking for 2005+ because of the fuel injection and 2 spark plugs. What year is yours? How was your first year insurance wise?

Ahhhhh dirt experience: then yeah, you'll love it on side streets or construction zones LOL

I got an 04. Avoid the '03's if you can, cuz that was a weird transition year. Dual spark plug started in 07 or 08, I believe.

I went liability, fire and theft only during my first year, and I was 27, living in Mississauga; it was roughly $1200/year. Now I pay around $950 but with full coverage.

I am 6ft tall and 32" inseam. I found SV650 a bit cramped. It's a small bike.

Try a KLR650. Super comfortable and does alright on the highway.
The bonus is, it will perform very nicely on gravel roads as well.
Just a bit heavy and big for single track.

You can also get a newer gen (2008 +) for around $3,000.

Yeah I'm torn because I love dirt bikes, but 400 is about my top end... after that they feel too heavy.
I have a 36" inseam so I assume it will be even worse for me. Although, did you ride the fairing or naked version? The naked has the handlebars instead of clip on so you can sit up more straight.

My problem with the KLR is its just so damn ugly lol. As much as i try to convince myself that I should just be 'reasonable' and get a KLR, Vstrom or Versys, I just don't care about their looks and styling. I mean, it feels like im sucking out the passion of motorcycling to me. Maybe I'm being dramatic and I would be very happy on one but I'm not sold on them at this point. They are just so unsexy to me :p

Ahhhhh dirt experience: then yeah, you'll love it on side streets or construction zones LOL

I got an 04. Avoid the '03's if you can, cuz that was a weird transition year. Dual spark plug started in 07 or 08, I believe.

I went liability, fire and theft only during my first year, and I was 27, living in Mississauga; it was roughly $1200/year. Now I pay around $950 but with full coverage.

So think theres any chance I can get around $2000 considering I'm under 25? $1200 a year sounds awesome but i understand you were over 25. I guess I also need to decide based on basic or full coverage too....

No one can here can accurately predict your insurance premium. Choose a couple of bikes and pick up the phone. Avoid online quotes.

via Tapatalk

I was quoted for 200ish a month or more online and I tried calling a few places and got 100ish a month. Male 21 Vaughan. My best quote was from desjardins if u wanna try o.o

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm torn because I love dirt bikes, but 400 is about my top end... after that they feel too heavy.
I have a 36" inseam so I assume it will be even worse for me. Although, did you ride the fairing or naked version? The naked has the handlebars instead of clip on so you can sit up more straight.

My problem with the KLR is its just so damn ugly lol. As much as i try to convince myself that I should just be 'reasonable' and get a KLR, Vstrom or Versys, I just don't care about their looks and styling. I mean, it feels like im sucking out the passion of motorcycling to me. Maybe I'm being dramatic and I would be very happy on one but I'm not sold on them at this point. They are just so unsexy to me :p

I had the S version with clipons which does have more lean angle.
However, I think the foot pegs are in the same spot. My legs were the main issue on a longer ride.

KLR is super ugly. Very solid bike though.

To be honest, even though you said it's not your style - a V-Strom 650 would be perect for you. Can still do gravel roads very well and is a superb tourer.
Or find a Yamaha FZ6 (not FZ6R) but that's more of a super sport in sheep skin.

To me riding is more about ....riding. Aesthetics come 2nd.

Both bikes I own now are generally considered fugly.

No one can here can accurately predict your insurance premium. Choose a couple of bikes and pick up the phone. Avoid online quotes.

Huge x2 on this.

From one postal code to another can make signifigant differences in your quotes, so aside from not expecting anything "cheap" as a new rider, anything aside from that so far as what to expect will be purely guessing.

FWIW Dalton Timmis is worth a call, I think they insure under 25...but as others have mentioned, once you're >25 things get easier.

Back
Top Bottom