Quick plating/licensing question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Quick plating/licensing question

smc

OK so I bought another bike, one that actually works this time, and already have it certified and registered as "fit - unplated". Now I can get insurance as an M1 and get all this finished, but it would be cheaper to start the policy as an M2. However my safety certificate will expire by then.

So my question is if I wait will I have to get the bike certified again? is it worth another $100 and the hassle of loading/unloading the bike? Be aware the difference here is $201 a month versus $180. I think I just answered my own question, but I'll see what others think.

Thanks.

OK so I bought another bike, one that actually works this time, and already have it certified and registered as "fit - unplated". Now I can get insurance as an M1 and get all this finished, but it would be cheaper to start the policy as an M2. However my safety certificate will expire by then.

So my question is if I wait will I have to get the bike certified again? is it worth another $100 and the hassle of loading/unloading the bike? Be aware the difference here is $201 a month versus $180. I think I just answered my own question, but I'll see what others think.

Thanks.

Makes zero sense to let the safety expire.

Your rates should adjust. Don't let the safety expire.

It's been my experience that not all insurers will retroactively apply a discount. Riders plus gives you a 30 day window to achieve your M2 license and complete a safety training course in order to get the related discounts, however my current insurer, Dalton Timmis, does not provide such...so whatever you are insured as at the beginning of the policy is what you're locked in at for at least the first year. I think most other insurers go the same way.

On that topic, registering as "FIT Unplated" doesn't require insurance to accomplish, so definitely don't waste the safety by letting it expire...get in there and get it changed to FIT status at the very least. Once you have the insurance simply go back, show proof of insurance to get the plates, and they'll issue you a new ownership that shows "FIT - Plated" instead.

i wonder if you can open the policy on fire theft only, then once you have your m2 get the coverage options you want to be street legal.

Back
Top Bottom