Android Boxs - whose got 1? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Android Boxs - whose got 1?

EaZ8

ive been thinking about cutting the cable since i honestly never use it, i just use Plex and Netflix most the time.
if i ditch the cable i kinda want to give a android box a try.
Im hearing that they need to be reprogrammed every once and a while and you have to pay someone to do that?
what box is good to get and where from?
i keep hearing people say their cousin/friend or whatever can get you one all programmed for $120-175 but then i go online and find them from $40-$120 so really what am i looking at?? are these online ones coming with no software?

Same here. We don't watch much tv and the price keeps going up. Calling Rogers later today. Thinking I will try a Chromecast as I want to add a tv in the garage and this seems to be the easiest solution for me.

no need to buy an android box the program Kodi can be run on an windows or apple pc that you already have and an HDMI cable to your tv

As long as you don't expect great picture quality you can use them for all sorts of TV watching. You can get cheap good boxes with XBMC Kodiak pre installed from Geekbuying.com . You have to learn how to install the channels (supositories) forget the exact name. E.g Genisis, Ice films etc. The quality, connections etc are hit and miss. For me it's too much of a downgrade in quality and consistent connection to completely cutoff cable tv.Others may have better luck or know of better ways to connect.

One thing that seems to work great us that I use the box to watch the MotoGP races.

Do some research and try them out before you cancel anything.

You can also just use an old computer or laptop to install XBMC for Windows and try that out first.

We cut the cord years ago from Rogers (internet and cable) and couldn't be happier. We switched to an OTA antenna (live near the lake) and have about 10-13 channels which actually meet 90% of our needs daily. Outside of that we have Netflix and an Android box (MIGECA or something). It's great when it works, and when you can find a stream that works well. Been able to catch up on shows like Breaking Bad / Walking Dead etc but haven't used it in a few months because there's really no series I'm pulling to watch.

Do your research and try some out first if you can.

Subscribed! - OP your usage sounds a LOT like ours, too. Netflix almost all the time, some use of Plex when we have downloaded stuff to watch, and very little cable TV use.

One thing I really want to keep is CP24.

We're paying Rogers ~$120 for phone, cable and internet service - this might go down to $80-100 if we cancel Rogers and go with Teksaavy and Vonage (as examples), so we'll save $240/year which will be about what the android box will end up costing us, plus I'll have to buy a modem for Teksaavy, so, iono.

I'm not too keen on spending too much time setting up 'the box', either, is it hard? A buddy of mine has an Amazon-branded one that is plug-and-play... it doesn't even have an "on" button lol

As taximan62 mentioned, I have Kodi on a windows box connected to the TV (lots of YouTube vids on setup). Computer has wireless kyb/mouse, plus you got Netflix, YouTube, etc....also watch CP24 right off their web site and as a bonus you can skip news stories your not interested in.

Have TekSavvy ($48, 25/10, 400Gig) with Ooma box ($4 a month), Canada wide no-charge calling. HD antenna in the attic which gets me like 6 channels (I gotta tweak this still....work in progress)...$60 per month including Netflix.

Had one for 2 years now and paid for itself 1000 times over. The one i have you can do the updating yourself, and no need for someone else to re program them.

Big thing with these boxes is the customer service afterwards .. The one I have is the IN3LD box and i know a few others on here that have the same one as well.

Watch new movies, tv shows, pay per view , live tv. Sure your internet package must be able to support the bandwidth, but thats it plug and play and you are set.

i guess 1 thing i didnt mention is no matter what ill still have basic cable (whatever that is), we have the VIP package for the kids to watch their stuff, but really they just watch the same episodes over and over again so that could be covered by just downloading a few dora seasons and calling it a day...
the oldest one just watches netflix, i dont think she knows how to use the rogers box to be honest.

our townhouse is structured like a condo so it includes a few things and basic rogers cable is 1 of them....sure i know im paying for it in the fees but cant change anything about that, we are going to be moving in a year or 2 so we have a freehold house with a basement....walk out basement would be ideal so i could roll my bikes in for the winter to work on them. and i want to switch to a partial solar setup when that happens too.

ill have to also look at what other internet options there are, we are with rogers and have 200gig a month i think for $70 or $80, not really sure what our usage is like but ill look into that too. i know before i moved here i watched only netflix and only had 100gig and never went over.

I have had an Android box for 2 years now and since then I have learned enough to do all the updating myself and for most of my friends and family, so here is what I know:

- Don't buy it from any company, they will over charge up to $200, promising support afterwards but in reality you don't need them for it.
- I have the M8S that i bought from Ebay for 70 bucks, they all come with software installed including Kodi.
- Once you receive the box, go to kodi.tv and download the latest version (tons of videos on youtube on how to do it)
- The only App (they are called Addons) you really need is Kodi, everything else on the android box can be found inside kodi.
- You can watch all tv shows, all movies in great quality, sports is hard to find good HD games but there are ways, you just have to find guides on youtube on how to set P2P etc.
- I also still keep basic cable.
- Make sure you have a good internet package, I have unlimited.

Anyone that has problems with their box is because they haven't put in a little effort and learned how to update it, clear caches etc - all easy to do, all on youtube.

No more need to PVR, watch commercials, download movies, all that goes away plus a healthy rogers bill also goes away. No need to have netflix since all shows and movies on it are also on Kodi.

no need to buy an android box the program Kodi can be run on an windows or apple pc that you already have and an HDMI cable to your tv

this is what i do. i find this the easiest set up. add a wireless keyboard, and you are all set.

simple solution
get old laptop with hdmi output and connect to tv or decent tablet that can support hdmi output
install Kodi Schism Build v2 (checkout youtube). The interface is amazing, just remember to wait 30 seconds for the screen to populate and also you have click left to get more menu options when you are scrolling down the right side.

It is setup with default logins, kids, sports, tv, and entertainment

They had iVue which is like a tv guide but it is gone for now, they have another temp replacement but not as nice ccctv or something like that

streaming a 1080p movie is pretty good. A tip, just start your movie then hit pause for 2 minutes or so (go make popcorn). this will allow the buffer to fill and run smoother, staying ahead.

add a simple indoor/outdoor OTA antenna along with Kodi and you really don't need cable tv.

also the Beast build is pretty loaded also
checkout youtube for demos of the different setup, they even have a Netflix interface Kodiflix...lol

If you are buying a new tv, look at the Sony tv's WITH Android. It's awesome, I installed Kodi right from Google playstore. My tv is like a big Android tablet.
You can even connect a keyboard (cheap wifi keyboard or bluetooth). You can also install a PS3 or PS4 controller to play games directly on the tv tha tyou download from google playstore

I'm using a Roku box, dropped cable two? yrs ago. We had 145 stations and watched 3. Over air antenna gets 20 stations for local news and shows. Between Netflix, MLB station and unlimited interweb I went from $189. month to $90.00.

If you use Exodus there is no buffering - unless your internet speed is really bad.
simple solution
get old laptop with hdmi output and connect to tv or decent tablet that can support hdmi output
install Kodi Schism Build v2 (checkout youtube). The interface is amazing, just remember to wait 30 seconds for the screen to populate and also you have click left to get more menu options when you are scrolling down the right side.

It is setup with default logins, kids, sports, tv, and entertainment

They had iVue which is like a tv guide but it is gone for now, they have another temp replacement but not as nice ccctv or something like that

streaming a 1080p movie is pretty good. A tip, just start your movie then hit pause for 2 minutes or so (go make popcorn). this will allow the buffer to fill and run smoother, staying ahead.

add a simple indoor/outdoor OTA antenna along with Kodi and you really don't need cable tv.

also the Beast build is pretty loaded also
checkout youtube for demos of the different setup, they even have a Netflix interface Kodiflix...lol

If you are buying a new tv, look at the Sony tv's WITH Android. It's awesome, I installed Kodi right from Google playstore. My tv is like a big Android tablet.
You can even connect a keyboard (cheap wifi keyboard or bluetooth). You can also install a PS3 or PS4 controller to play games directly on the tv tha tyou download from google playstore

Last edited:
One thing I would look into as well, is to use a VPN. (PIA, IP Vanish, HideME, etc). This ensures that your connection is encrypted but also gives you the ability to change your IP. Why is this important? If you like watching Live sports in HD, the majority are geoblocked to US IP's. Namely for NBA, MLB and NFL.

For NHL, you can install CastStreams directly on the android box and enjoy hockey games in at least 480p, or up to 720p resolution.

A ditched cable about a year ago in favor of a few Kodi boxes. Will never look back. You NEED an unlimited internet plan, and if your house is like ours where you may have multiple people using the boxes at the same time, we really do need a fast Internet connection as well. We have the Rogers 100 meg connection and it comfortably supports up to four people in the house streaming HD at once through the boxes while having some leftover for surfing and such at the same time. Important part is unlimited – on an average months we go through about 1 TB of data, and on a heavy month I have seen 1.7 TB.

If you're technically savvy keeping the box is programmed and updated yourself really isn't that difficult, there are plenty of tutorials online. If you are not technically savvy they can be a challenge however.

Quality ranges from excellent HD all the way down to VHS quality for some older or obscure stuff you may be hunting for, but on average unless you were a videophile it's generally acceptable – just don't expect *everything* to be in super crisp HD.

I've been seriously looking at an Android box for a little while now. We dropped cable 2 years ago, nothing but dvd's for a long time, got Netflix last December. The two things holding me back are I'm not tech savvy at all, the wife is a lot better but no guru, and I don't really care about tv. But the kids have been starting to bug for it, so I'm gonna have to cave. I would actually enjoy having more access to supercross, wsbk, etc.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

wow. Exodus is impressive.

what other repositories are you using?

Addons?

I use exodus for movies and TV shows
Spectro (new Genesis) for Libraries, unfortunately Exodus has no libraries and I don't like going looking for the latest episodes, I like them to show up on my TVShows Menu on the main screen when they are ready for viewing
Digitele for sports with P2p - works for me, but it doesn't work anymore for some

That covers everything

Last edited:
wow. Exodus is impressive.

what other repositories are you using?
Install Kodi Schism v2 build. check youtube for that name. It is pure eye candy and functional.
It is already setup with a bunch of repos.

If you can watch a 5 video and follow 5 steps then you can set it up yourself

Back
Top Bottom