Whats the coldest you've ever ridden in? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Whats the coldest you've ever ridden in?

I have a video of my bike in a blizzard that started while I was riding...if only I could figure out how to post it lol

Upload to youtube as a "private link" (so only people with the direct link can see it) and post the link

Theres gotta be an easier way, no?

No, not really. YouTube will accept pretty much any video format (weird format or codec) you throw at it, so yeah, it makes it simple. Then the forum here has a nice video button where you simply paste the YouTube link in and the video appears inline in the thread.

There are other video hosting sites, none of which make the process as easy in the end, either getting the video uploaded, or posting it here afterwards.

8 hour ride at 1C - 3C. Heated jacket liner + heated gloves + heated socks, was warm as toast.

Moved in Jan and had to ride my bike to the new house on the other side of town. 20 min ride at -18C. This was long before heated gloves and jackets....was shaking when I arrived!!!

I used to ride 365 days a year for my job. The coldest days were around -30 or whatever the lowest low was between 1993 and 1997. Sidecar equipped bikes were an option which was used on icy roads or heavy snowfalls.
Not horrible wearing full snowmobile gear.
Watching a sidecar equipped bike do a 180 degree flip when he forgot about the sidecar as he passed a car in the procession, hitting a snow bank, had to be a highlight.
Another doofus showing off his wonderful riding skills in sub -20 weather optioned a non sidecar bike and did the hardest face plant ever when he hit the front brakes on that temperature pavement.
Good times, definitely not worth it.

About -9C I think without heated gloves.

-1 to -2 is my coldest, I'll ride to work everyday if the temps are 2-3c minimum in the morning my commute is around an hour, today I rode into work in the morning it was between 0-1c but I know the ride home is going to be nice at around 5c.

Just reading some of the post here brings me the chills!! to those riding colder and into the the minus double digits you guys --you ROCK! I salute your dedication and love to the 2 wheel beasts. I'm glad your out there!

Around 0C (in theory) from Tobermory to Toronto in October. The last ferry run of the year to and from Manitoulin. Heated gear at 100%. Freezing rain, hail, fog and frost on the road in places. Definitely felt a lot colder. The engine felt fine but I wasn't keen on testing the tires and kept well back from the usual suspects (passing on blind corners/hills just above the limit). The ride up was particularly bad, since I started at 3am. Took forever for the sun to rise.

Last edited:
I rode in +2 a few weeks ago. Vented gloves and boots did not help, it was just plain coooold. My MSF course is this weekend, supposed to feel like -11 on the final day. I have no idea wtf I'm gonna do to keep warm.

Any tips on keeping hands, feet, and neck warm? I'm thinking wool socks with heating pads, rubber gloves under the riding gloves, and a balaclava. My helmet and jacket are good for cold weather, but my boots and gloves are vented and I'm sure I'll want some neck coverage.

I rode in +2 a few weeks ago. Vented gloves and boots did not help, it was just plain coooold. My MSF course is this weekend, supposed to feel like -11 on the final day. I have no idea wtf I'm gonna do to keep warm.

Any tips on keeping hands, feet, and neck warm? I'm thinking wool socks with heating pads, rubber gloves under the riding gloves, and a balaclava. My helmet and jacket are good for cold weather, but my boots and gloves are vented and I'm sure I'll want some neck coverage.

One trick to help even without external heating pads is to over-wrap the abdomen and the head. The body will try to maintain these parts of your body in a very narrow temperature range to maintain proper organ function, and if they start to overheat the body compensates by sending more blood flow to your extremities (hands, feet) so they can act like radiators to dispel the excess heat. The increased blood flow to the extremities will take body heat to them as well.

One trick to help even without external heating pads is to over-wrap the abdomen and the head. The body will try to maintain these parts of your body in a very narrow temperature range to maintain proper organ function, and if they start to overheat the body compensates by sending more blood flow to your extremities (hands, feet) so they can act like radiators to dispel the excess heat. The increased blood flow to the extremities will take body heat to them as well.
Cool, I didn't know that. Just went for an hour ride, I ended up buying a head wrap (like a big tube to wrap your head or neck), folded over twice it is perfect to stop the draft from freezing my chin and neck. I tried the rubber gloves under riding gloves, it seemed to work a bit but after my hands got sweaty they just started getting colder. My MSF course this weekend is gonna be COLD.

years ago,,,I rode all year round for 3 ish yrs .. I didn't keep track of the temps... I would wear my rainsuit to cut the wind and bundle up with snowboard gear.. then I had a BSA for years.. so if it went to 10 C .. it would not start,, so that was the end of the season for me.

2015 Fri Feb 13 was pretty cold,, the picture of my thermometer leaving home was -28 deg C ... Port Dover is about 1.5 hrs south,, and back..

but March Fri 13th 2015 was plain SToooPEEED ! I dunno how cold it was,, but the snow was up to the running boards.. and I ended up passing the plow / salter on 24 hwy as I couldn't put up being peppered with salt ...

yah, who in their right mind passes a plow... let alone rides a road king in 4" snow .

D'oh ! but I was not uncomfortable .. neg 100 boots ... snowboard gear... mitts,,, 1/2 helmet with fleece face mask and neck scarf

My Son [street glide] and Daughter [honda shadow 750ccc] rode in as well.. Elaina at Destination 13 put a care package together for us ! as she was stoked we rode to get a TEE shirt..... silly us!

lol

-24c before windchill.

Biggest problem I found below about -10c is frost buildup inside my helmet. At -20c, my M+S tires also get pretty hard.

Not horrible wearing full snowmobile gear.

I think this is what a lot of people are missing - dressing for the weather. Riding in subzero temperatures in the same gear you ride at all summer long, one should not be surprised you're cold.

Wear snowmobile gear that's designed for 100KPH at -30 and you're laughing. Yes, others might think you're crazy, but who's getting the the last laugh?

Trip was four hours with stops. Hot weekend date and stay-over awaited, and the car wouldn't start. Never say die.
**chants***
We're not worthy!
We're not worthy!

You the man ?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

snowmobile gear for the win. Rode all winter on my trusty ural and didnt even feel the need for heated gear. Handlebar muffs kept my hands warm all winter.

My bike sleeps all winter, so coldest I've ever rode in would probably be around 1-2C, early in the morning of a 6-7C day. Can't say it was the most enjoyable experience.

Given I only ride for pleasure, my 'fun cutoff' is around the 7C mark...will ride a few degrees cooler but it doesn't come pleasant until above 7 for me. What really stops me though isn't how cold I get...it's that the bike goes away when the salters come out, plus traction isn't great close to 0.

Given I only ride for pleasure,

With the right gear, you can find riding pleasurable to well well below zero. Admittedly, if you can't have fun without getting a knee down, well, yeah.

I admit, a -24c commute in jeans and long johns gets old in about 20 minutes. But with heated gloves, heated jacket liner, jeans and long johns, commuting at -16c is totally joyous.

Back
Top Bottom