Whats the coldest you've ever ridden in? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Whats the coldest you've ever ridden in?

He took the bike out of a warmer garage

But was it? ;) That wasn't mentioned.

Yes, perhaps it was, which is presumably why the bike started easier (or at all), but I trust you see my point - if the garage is unheated, the same temp as the outside air (like mine always is), starting it in the garage before leaving or starting it after towing an hour down the road isn't going to make one bit of difference aside from placebo effect. The bike would warm up faster in a sheltered area like a garage, yes, and if the garage was warmer, towing it first would sap all that heat out quickly and it would be harder to start at point B.

We're on the same page, just having the potato/potatoh tomatoe/tomatoh argument. ;)

Ummm, yeah. Heated garage, that's why I stored it there, worked on it there, and started it there.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Ummm, yeah. Heated garage, that's why I stored it there, worked on it there, and started it there.

That explains it. Another GTAM mystery settled. ;)

30f or -1 and with wind was -4. Keeping in mind I only have summer gear my hands and neck were freezing. Hence why I'm in process of buying some cold weather gear now online. Lol

Wednesday, April 3 1985. I went downtown to Montreal. It was 12c when I left. Five hours later on my way home it started to snow. When I got home (about a 45min drive to the West Island) it was -10c. Leather jacket, gauntlets, FF helmet, jeans, paisley scarf on neck and harness boots. I was glowing red for hours afterwards.

Last year in the fall I went to work and it was 7c. On the way home it was -5c. I didn't even notice it was so cold because I was dressed for it (Bristol leather neck protector for snowmobiles, leather jacket under winter jacket, snowpants, Gerbings electric gauntlets, boots) but it was pretty much my last ride of the year, except for Christmas eve (just had to do it you know?).

This doesn't win the contest, but some years ago on the way back from an east coast trip. Problem was is that it was a spur of the moment thing in October when the weather seemed okay. Well, it was, mostly. I was not prepared for when it started snowing in New Brunswick and concerned looking people were asking me questions in French. I put on my rain suit just for an extra layer, but it didn't help much (seemed to be a strong headwind the whole way home) and it whipped around in the wind. Started yelling in my helmet for warmth, which seemed to help more than the rain suit. The Quebec stretch is a blur, all I remember is that it was cold, and windy, and miserable

-25 for about an hour on the hwy. I had heated gear and it was fully turned up, but didn't have the best balaclava and my chin got really cold almost frozen. Otherwise, many days between 0 and -10. Cold roads and cold tires can get dangerous pretty quick.

-20 at night for a four hour destination ride. Had to stop at a Zellers to buy a couple of more sweaters, a pair of heavier snowmobile gloves, and a few pairs of extra socks. Borrowed the cashier's scissors so I could cut the ends off of two pairs of socks so I could slip them over my wrists to better seal up and insulate the bottoms of my coat sleeve cuffs.

That helped. What really helped a lot though was getting pulled over twice along my route, once by Halton, once by the OPP, because they had a tough time understanding why anyone sane would want to be out riding a motorcycle on a dreadfully cold winter night. They let me sit in the nice heated cruisers while they took their time checking me and the bike out.

-20 at night for a four hour destination ride. Had to stop at a Zellers to buy a couple of more sweaters, a pair of heavier snowmobile gloves, and a few pairs of extra socks. Borrowed the cashier's scissors so I could cut the ends off of two pairs of socks so I could slip them over my wrists to better seal up and insulate the bottoms of my coat sleeve cuffs.

That helped. What really helped a lot though was getting pulled over twice along my route, once by Halton, once by the OPP, because they had a tough time understanding why anyone sane would want to be out riding a motorcycle on a dreadfully cold winter night. They let me sit in the nice heated cruisers while they took their time checking me and the bike out.

May I ask why you chose to go somewhere that was 4 hours away on a night that was -20 ? Just cause "the bike never sleeps" or is there an underlying story? either way that 4 hour destination must of turned out to be longer with the stops. thats a moment to remember though ahah

This doesn't win the contest, but some years ago on the way back from an east coast trip. Problem was is that it was a spur of the moment thing in October when the weather seemed okay. Well, it was, mostly. I was not prepared for when it started snowing in New Brunswick and concerned looking people were asking me questions in French. I put on my rain suit just for an extra layer, but it didn't help much (seemed to be a strong headwind the whole way home) and it whipped around in the wind. Started yelling in my helmet for warmth, which seemed to help more than the rain suit. The Quebec stretch is a blur, all I remember is that it was cold, and windy, and miserable

atleast you are here to tell the story today. I couldn't imagine being caught in a full on snow storm, especially hundreds of miles away.

There be crazies on this thread. I can't take anything lower than 4C. When younger I rode home mid Dec and got a touch of frostbite on the finger tips. It took a couple of years for that to go away. Stay warm, people.

May I ask why you chose to go somewhere that was 4 hours away on a night that was -20 ? Just cause "the bike never sleeps" or is there an underlying story? either way that 4 hour destination must of turned out to be longer with the stops. thats a moment to remember though ahah

Trip was four hours with stops. Hot weekend date and stay-over awaited, and the car wouldn't start. Never say die.

probably around -10 to -15 or so but with windchill probably closer to -25ish.

The key is being warm in your gear and building heat before you go, wearing proper layers to retain the heat and keeping rides short. When I was going to UTM I did the 5 km no problems all year round as long as the roads were clear. Usually by the time the cold would just start setting into my hands and feet I'd be there already so it was no issue. I had no heated gear or anything, just Under Armour and leather but it works

Its also great being on a 250 because I rarely have to worry about 'cold slip' like the bigger bikes, there's really not much torque going to that rear wheel to cause it to lose traction and want to slide out as much.

Last edited:
To this day, I don't know if the tire situation is better with dual sport tires or with road tires in cold weather?

I think dual sport tires have the same compound as car "all-seasons" almost like an M&S rating, while road tires are more like summer only performance compounds to be able to still work in extreme heat (heavier/more powerful/better braking bike), no?

Score one for the DS tires in the cold. However, a DS tire contact patch is tiny on pavement compared to that of a road tire depending upon the spacing in between the knobs. That WR I rode in the winter was a 90 dirt/10 road tire so it was all space but, wow, was the rubber soft.

With a knobby equipped 250cc DS bike (stock WR250R with rear tire dropped to 10PSI), I accidentally did a rolling 2nd gear burnouts on dry level smooth asphalt for most of a city block. I thought my clutch was toast but it was a tire roast!

I was promised a week ago that winter is over. Where is my spring people?

-18ish when my bike was my only means of transportation to school(on days I didn't want to take the bus).

Heated vest + Textile jacket + Winter jacket over helped - didn't have heated gloves at the time. Double layered gloves, neck warmer helped. Will likely not be doing that again since I got a car.

-24 for about 5 minutes lol I do a Christmas eve ride every year no matter what the weather but two years ago we had that crazy freezing rain and im on a SS with no grip in cold/ice so i went around a block, immediately regreted my decision and rode back.
But ive done longer run as cold as -10. Nothing crazy like some ppl up there.

Back
Top Bottom