James Bay Ride | GTAMotorcycle.com

James Bay Ride

lowrider

Site Supporter
Starting in the GTA (when the weather is a bit better). Would be interested in hooking up for this ride. Pretty deserted territory up there and no cell coverage = safer to do it with a mate or two. Thoughts from anyone who has done it? thanks.

Starting in the GTA (when the weather is a bit better). Would be interested in hooking up for this ride. Pretty deserted territory up there and no cell coverage = safer to do it with a mate or two. Thoughts from anyone who has done it? thanks.

I did that ride with a group of 4 back in 2013, and yeah, there is very little or no cell coverage and if your bike breaks down it will cost extra to have it trucked South and repaired.

I plan to do that trip again this summer, but while the road is paved all the way to Radisson, we plan to do some loose gravel roads and some sand roads while up there... we are going to try to get to the West shore of Fort George Island which the maps claim is part of Nunavut.

We also plan to camp the whole way up and back... and it will be rough camping with zero services. The reason being is that we don't want to have to stop if we still have energy to go and day light, so if we are 1/2 between Matagami and the service station when we decide to camp, so be it. We will also be riding very long days... likely 12 hours at a minimum, maybe longer. I have been known to do 17 hour days before.

If this sounds like something you are interested in, watch for postings likely near the end of June.

thanks for our reply. yes, that is exactly what I was looking at, but the pace you are suggesting (12 hours and more per day) would not suit me. camping up there will be harsh with it being fly season also...but hat alone would not scare me off. I would be interested in seeing posts of the ride though. am guessing you will use some sort of off-road tire also?

camping up there will be harsh with it being fly season also...

Oh yeah. August long weekend some years ago, the bugs were off the scale. But the road is so quiet even during its prime weekend that you could (and would need to) run up and down the road peeing to the side in complete privacy to stay ahead of the black cloud of insects committed to perforating your flesh. The bugs are jackhammering at your visor before you've even gotten your kickstand down.

Oh yeah. August long weekend some years ago, the bugs were off the scale. But the road is so quiet even during its prime weekend that you could (and would need to) run up and down the road peeing to the side in complete privacy to stay ahead of the black cloud of insects committed to perforating your flesh. The bugs are jackhammering at your visor before you've even gotten your kickstand down.
That does not sound pleasant.

How did they allow two Lowriders on this forum?

Thinking of doing this trip but ride a sport bike. Tempted to do this alone but my forebrain is telling me otherwise.

You need lots of fuel range. I only own one bike that has enough fuel range in the tank to make it, and it would be a slow-ish ride.

Most people resort to bringing a jerrycan to get you through to the gas stop at 381km. Note though that if you're a bit heavy on the throttle, you may burn more gas in that first 381km leg than you planned.

When I went up, I burned through about double the fuel in the first 140km before I realized; too much throttle after slowing for frost heaves! I made it to the gas station with little spare, and I passed someone that ran about 50km shy. If you're running solo, have a generous buffer!

I left the guy to fend for himself. :) His girlfriend went ahead to fetch gas for him.

I had that in mind. Obviously you have to take your fuel consumption seriously. Probably a test run with all the weight on your bike.

From my research its a straight ride. If you cut back on the brakes should be more efficient.

From my research its a straight ride. If you cut back on the brakes should be more efficient.

Judging by the road 6 years ago or so, if you keep it under about 90km/h for the 380+km stretch from Matagami to the gas station, you won't have to brake too much for the frost heaves. But the subconscious knowledge that the 100km/h speed limit is essentially unenforced, and the long gentle sweepers that wake up at 200km/h, and the hours of tranquility and lack of traffic, keeping your speed down may be a real challenge. :)

I have a R1200GS and a Delorme Inreach SE... Was considering this ride. Did I miss the dates you are considering?

I have a R1200GS and a Delorme Inreach SE... Was considering this ride. Did I miss the dates you are considering?

For this ride I am leaning towards end of June or first couple weeks of July... but still need to finalize planning this along with an Abitibi Canyon ride at some point... and it's all dependant on weather.

Rockerguy... you could ride with us and skip the gravel portions... you could hang out in Radisson and catch the dam tour while we attempt the Trans Taiga, and on the way back you could part ways at Matagami and be fuel safe and avoid all gravel. What is your fuel range though?

Rockerguy... you could ride with us and skip the gravel portions... you could hang out in Radisson and catch the dam tour while we attempt the Trans Taiga, and on the way back you could part ways at Matagami and be fuel safe and avoid all gravel. What is your fuel range though?
Not very good. Max probably 220kms/tank. Plus it burns premium. I hope that gas station has premium gas or else I will be setting myself up for a real adventure.

I don't think I will carry much luggage except fuel. Just change of underwear.

I am not sure about the 12hr days though. If it feels more like work & I'm not enjoying myself, I might not consider that a vacation.

Back
Top Bottom