Riding and living in Toronto | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding and living in Toronto

LOL! Care to explain further?

I have heard this from some downtown riders but don't know much about the details.

I assume they just ride on/off ramps over and over again?

Pretty much... a hamster wheel for motorcycles. Also police are wise to it

Last summer, rode from south sauga to downtown almost every single weekday, as shane said, my fun is also in the "saving time" by avoiding a choke point, choosing the right lane or the right detour. if you're about aggressive riding (not cutting off people but ...being assertive) downtown CAN be entertaining. otherwise yeah..sometimes certain group rides will have interesting routes/twisties outside the city, usually its a good 45m + outside of the city though.

The key to riding in Toronto, Don't!
Cross the border to PA, West Virginia or North Carolina. Two states down, don't have to worry about speeding tickets being reported to your Canadian Insurance Company. Great roads with lots of twists, turns and elevation changes. Generally a population that wants motorcyclists as they bring money into their communities. Drivers of cages that are familiar with motorcycles.
I hate riding in Toronto. Spend my weekends across the border and do some serious riding.

There's a thread somewhere about ticket reciprocity between states and provinces. I would check it out before getting too frisky. Some states have the equivalent of HTA 172 as well.

Once per month or so in the summer I will ride out the farmers market in St. Jacobs. I leave at 6 AM and take the 401.
There's a little café in Waterloo where I stop for breakfast, then to the market when it opens at 9.
I take the 401 back as far as Mohawk, then get off and ride the country roads back into the city.
The only problem with the 401 is the traffic.

Last time I rode the 401 I was doing around 120km/hr and people were passing me about 1/8 the way into my lane. Hell I even had transports (w/o their speed limiters) come within inches of me. I was on the 401 around 2am near Kingston.

LOL! Care to explain further?

I have heard this from some downtown riders but don't know much about the details.

I assume they just ride on/off ramps over and over again?

For the most part, people taking ramps again and again, trying to almost get their knee down in the process. If they fail, they are either going into the rail/barrier, and when they merge into traffic, they are trying to do so at over 150km/h. If you ask me, it's Darwinism.

Last time I rode the 401 I was doing around 120km/hr and people were passing me about 1/8 the way into my lane. Hell I even had transports (w/o their speed limiters) come within inches of me. I was on the 401 around 2am near Kingston.

401 is 'ok' at times...but very much based on time and location. 2am you are dealing with drivers that are either tired or impaired, so not the best time to be out there..even though there should be less traffic.

I just don't ride/drive much anymore. Whenever it's convenient for me is when traffic is ****.

I went out for my first "day" ride of the season yesterday. (meaning I was going out for a few hours and wouldn't be back till most likely dusk)

I am on nightshift this weekend (but booked the day off to ride) so I couldn't get out till around 1pm ish.

I fought traffic all the way down the highways till I eventually got hung up in gridlock on the QEW westbound in Oakville. Once I got off the highway it was just like old times and the ride was great. Visiting all my favorite roads and Coffee stop.

The ride back home was was again filled with traffic until I got downtown and was stuck in grid lock watching my temp gauge climb. Atleast I know my rad fan works fine. I don't think it has ever had to come on before moving to Toronto.

I'm guessing I just need to really learn what days and what times there will be traffic and plan on when to leave and when to come back to avoid most of it but that window seems incredibly tiny!

I guess living in Shelburne, as isolated and cold/windy as it was, really spoiled me with the lack of traffic and great roads to ride. I didn't know how good I had it.

Being a rider living in Toronto so far is turning out to be real ******. With the traffic jams and the awful drivers, pedestrians and cyclists.....ugh.

riding in the city is different than out of the city but is still fun, there is a lot more tolerance towards filtering, a lot of little side streets, and alley ways to get around traffic, once the short short season starts the scenery is unbeatable, ramping isn't all that bad when done at responsible speeds for short periods of time, if / when you decide to stop for a coffee / food the options are infinite, your defensive riding becomes world class, if you work outside of the city commuting is great because you are always opposite the herd of 905'ers trying to get in or out depending on the time of day, and once they leave in the PM the city becomes less congested and an overall nicer place.

...and once they leave in the PM the city becomes less congested and an overall nicer place.
Unfortunately I work early so those PM rides don't work for me. No good time for me to ride in the city. :(

You think riding is hard downtown? Try hunting downtown!
Well, if you're hunting cougars.....

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

then you just have to go to crocodile rock
What was the one back in the day...? Blue Suede Sues?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

There's no zipping around the world-class obesity of Toronto. Come to terms with it. Find a bike that suits the clogged arteries and just swim through the indifference (95%) and hostility (5%). I've found maxi-scoots to be the ticket. Day to day riding combined with day to day chores. Not cool, just neat, like a good Scotch. Well designed to shrug at the futility of man's existence. I'm very keen on small bikes this year and the surplus makes it properly agonizing. Lane splitting would make them extra fun but the sweaty folds of government smothers us all. Just remember to never apologize or hold an o(3.14)nion. Apologists are the real enemy. #inrebrules

PS: Tell me to knock if off when I wear out the hashtag Mr. Reb. Seriously.

There's no zipping around the world-class obesity of Toronto. Come to terms with it. Find a bike that suits the clogged arteries and just swim through the indifference (95%) and hostility (5%). I've found maxi-scoots to be the ticket. Day to day riding combined with day to day chores. Not cool, just neat, like a good Scotch. Well designed to shrug at the futility of man's existence. I'm very keen on small bikes this year and the surplus makes it properly agonizing. Lane splitting would make them extra fun but the sweaty folds of government smothers us all. Just remember to never apologize or hold an o(3.14)nion. Apologists are the real enemy. #inrebrules

PS: Tell me to knock if off when I wear out the hashtag Mr. Reb. Seriously.

Your existentialism is impressive. It seems silly that lane splitting isn't legal. But I wonder about the rage levels of drivers if they eased up on those rules.

I think they'll get over it pretty fast, i've never had anyone visibly ****** off at me for lane splitting, I have seen more reactions from people when other motorcycles ride the shoulder than when they filter.
I normally try to keep the middle open for riders when sitting in traffic in the cage

Your existentialism is impressive. It seems silly that lane splitting isn't legal. But I wonder about the rage levels of drivers if they eased up on those rules.

Flattery on GTAM? Very refreshing, sir or madam. Proper filtering isn't the cause of rage, it's our misplaced priorities. The glinting promises of the tottering Beast aren't silver jewelry but nickel-plated chains. Even the dullest notices the weight eventually. Thus we rage at the fraud, then turn to reward it with votes.

The key to riding in Toronto, Don't!
Cross the border to PA, West Virginia or North Carolina. Two states down, don't have to worry about speeding tickets being reported to your Canadian Insurance Company. Great roads with lots of twists, turns and elevation changes. Generally a population that wants motorcyclists as they bring money into their communities. Drivers of cages that are familiar with motorcycles.
I hate riding in Toronto. Spend my weekends across the border and do some serious riding.

This is a good option, but from Mississauga to border and then through NF or Buffalo to good roads your're looking at about 2.5 - 3 hours minimum one way. Don't want to go to the US? Then you have a 1.5 to 2 hour ride to better roads West or North of Toronto or a 2 - 3 hour ride to Kawarthas / Haliburton where there are some good roads. Face it, if you live in or near the GTA you're screwed. Some seasons I just leave the bike at the cottage and avoid all GTA type traffic. When I'm there, I'm 30m to the 507 area and have several 3 - 4 hour loops that always put a smile on my face.

Back
Top Bottom