Ducati 696 Alternatives for Short Riders? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ducati 696 Alternatives for Short Riders?

I've never flatfooted a sport bike & I'm 5'9. You learn to compromise

or buy the bike you want/love and get it lowered...I had to lower my FZ6R and it's perfect now...costs a bit but definitely worth it...had a cruiser before that and the rides are totally different...if it's a sport bike you want, it can be achieved...
Most insurance companies will refuse to cover a lowered bike. Just FYI.

Where the hell did you hear this? Totally incorrect.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
From 4 different insurance companies...

Applies to cars as well.

State farm and TD don't care. I had a lowered bike with both of them and disclosed it.
Huh. Pretty sure I have an email from State Farm saying different. They even told me they don't like aftermarket exhausts.

Huh. Pretty sure I have an email from State Farm saying different. They even told me they don't like aftermarket exhausts.
My broker didn't care the 2 years I was with them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Here's the email from State Farm broker and underwriting.

Straight from underwriting! :)

-----Original Message-----

Hi Katherine,

This is what we will not accept:

a) Bikes whose contours(body shapes) have been moulded or changed in any
significant fashion from the original manufacturer design.

b) Those where the center of gravity or normal body level has been
materially changed (lowering or raising the bike)

c) Bikes equipped with non-standard accelerating device or any other
equipment designed for unusual performance.

With that being said, foot pegs, handlebars would be fine as they are
really just cosmetic, and the brake pads and suspension would also be
fine, as it does not increase performance...however the exhaust is
usually a grey area, and claims usually when they see modified exhaust
do start to question it a lot more, but I don't know if they would deny
the claim based on a 'common upgrade' like the exhaust he's taking about

My inseam is 26"
Almost killed the sales guy trying to get on the fz07.
Iirc the cbr 500 (?) Was surprisingly comfortable.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Holy crap...and I thought I had it bad at 28-29" (I'm about 5'8" tall). Only bike I've ever rode that I could flat foot was the little CBR125Rs at the M2 course. Both my CBR250RA and CBR650F I can only get 1 foot down with a little bit of lean. Only time it really bugs me is on uneven ground or parking (since I need to jump off to back up into a spot).

You sure about the forward controls? I'm decidedly a mid-controls rider.

And how did you get from a Duc to a Vulcan?

Yeah what a bizarre leap. Sporty to sleepy

Im sure aftermarket stuff are allowed with statefarm, here is what it says on my policy.... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/mpal7se3w846daa/firefox_2016-04-23_23-14-31.jpg?dl=0

Yeah what a bizarre leap. Sporty to sleepy

You sure about the forward controls? I'm decidedly a mid-controls rider.

And how did you get from a Duc to a Vulcan?

I couldnt find many Ducati 696's. GP Bikes only had the new Ducati 821 at about 14k OTD. I was tippy toeing more than when I was on the Ninja 250 so the fact that i was tippy toeing more + cost + insurance wasnt really worth it.

On post #7, I did mention I had a few cruisers on my list. The forward controls will take getting used to but being able to flat foot adds a lot of confidence.

For anyone wondering about the price:

$7999 MSRP

Got it down to $7750 + no prep fee.

So in total it was 7750 + PDI (~500) + tax. ~9322ish + $500 in accessories (Kawasaki promo)

Used the promo to add rear seats + rear passenger pegs + gear indicator + 12V DC outlet + Relay kit (Required for the gear indicator + 12V).

Accessories cost over $500 in total so I have to fork the extra myself.

I'm pretty sure they would've gone lower...

Last edited:
Thread update. Bought a 2016 Kawasaki Vulcan S in Matte Black.
Congrats, those are a pretty cool bike. Same engine as my versys or a 650 ninja, it should stomp all over the other 650 v twin cruisers in its class. Don't forget the pics once you have it at home.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Congrats, those are a pretty cool bike. Same engine as my versys or a 650 ninja, it should stomp all over the other 650 v twin cruisers in its class. Don't forget the pics once you have it at home.

Why would it stomp all over the other V-twins? The parallel in a cruisers is different but I can't imagine it being anything ground breaking.

Why would it stomp all over the other V-twins? The parallel in a cruisers is different but I can't imagine it being anything ground breaking.
Let's see. Vulcan s is 498lbs wet, 55hp, and 43 lb-ft of torque. Vstar 650 is 567-633lbs wet depending on model, 40hp and 37 lb-ft of torque.
When Cycle World tested the Vulcan s, for some reason they tested it against the Yamaha bolt 950, not the vstar 650. Hmmm. Maybe the Vulcan outclasses the other 650 v twins.

Back
Top Bottom