Insurance (Another Quote) - First Time Rider | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance (Another Quote) - First Time Rider

Hey everyone,

Just registered and wanted to chime in.

I was quote $1,533 annually for a 2001 CBR 600 F4i back in September (I am 28 and didn't have a motorcycle license yet). So I went out and bought the bike as the insurance was affordable. This is my first bike and at that point I actually didn't have my M1 yet. I bought the bike, got my M1, completed the training course at Humber, and finally got my M2 beginning of November.

Come to this week I am ready to take it out and went to follow up with State Farm and my quote was now $8,496! We talked about them being underwritten by someone else and that they no longer quoted based on overall driving experience (I am 28 and been insured since I was 16 non-stop).

I have been shopping around with people mentioned here and others I know who ride. Dalton Timmis has been the best so far. I was quote $3,859 annually. However, if I brought my car (2007 Civic Si) it would help she actually got me cheaper insurance on the car and by the time I bundled everything I would be paying $240/month over what I am paying now for just the car. Relative I am looking at $2,880 annually (With the savings on the car counting towards the bike).

I will just suck it up and deal with it. Hopefully see a drop when I have my full M and more experience.

Again like I said just wanted to share my scenario as I have read through everyone else to figure out what I should be doing.

Also, I have driven dirt bikes and ATVs since I was young. I actually ride a YFZ450 right now. Not my first time riding just first time on the roads. I get a lot of people who offer concern over buying a 600 as my first bike. Just wanted to throw that out there as well.

Hey Doughnutts welcome to the forum!

From my experience car insurance does nothing to your motorcycle insurance. Regardless of age or car insured time you're treated as a new rider and have a higher premium because of it (i'm paying a few hundred less then you on a 250). The problem with your initial quote is SF isn't locked into it and it can change (as you encountered). The change could be the insurance company reviewing payouts in that given year, being bought out by someone else, etc. You'll find a few people posting here about their insurance shooting up sky high from the year prior.

Welcome to the streets bud and enjoy your ride!

From my experience car insurance does nothing to your motorcycle insurance. Regardless of age or car insured time you're treated as a new rider and have a higher premium because of it

This is true, but they do always ask if you have your full G and how long you've been licensed. I'm not sure how that exactly plays into your bike insurance, but I assume it does if they ask.

This is true, but they do always ask if you have your full G and how long you've been licensed. I'm not sure how that exactly plays into your bike insurance, but I assume it does if they ask.

it demonstrates that you've gained a reasonable amount of proficiency in being on the road and overall road sense. A lot of times it doesn't make sense though...

I pay $1100 a year with GM license after 7 years riding and 10 years total on the road. My old man whose never ridden a bike but has been driving for 40 years was quoted $380 for the same bike with an M1. I don't understand how that's fair or even allowed.

Just wanted to follow up. State Farm originally based motorcycle insurance on overall driving experience so I wasn't a new rider I had 12 years of experience. That is why the rate was so different from them and anyone else

I spoke to my broker who got me a quote with Royal Insurance of $2,425 annually. I had to pay in full but its $1,434 cheaper than anything else I was quoted. Just in case anyone wanted to check with them.

Bike: 2001 Honda CBR 600 F4i
License: GM2 (Obtained M2 November 2015)
Motorcycle Training: Completed September/October at Humber
Tickets: Speeding 81 in a 50
Years insured (Motorcycle): 0 (First time bike rider)

Royal Insurance: $2,425
Dalton Timmis: $3,859
State Farm: $8,496

I have gotten about 6 other quotes but all were more than Dalton Timmis.

Last edited:
Royal Insurance - Facility

That is at the top of my insurance card. I don't know exactly but I can look into it more. Read over my policy and not sure

attachment.php

The only other thing I saw on the policy was this logo. Not sure if its valid or just a general for overseeing body for the insurance.

attachment.php

I will try and figure it out and post it. My broker is a disaster and takes weeks to respond to voicemails and emails. She is a long time friend of the family on not working much anymore so I just kinda deal with it. Was gonna look into finding a new broker till she got me the cheapest quote I got.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 9.43.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 9.43.14 AM.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 187
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 10.38.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 10.38.06 AM.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 186
if it helps for individuals with new bikes who want a 600 SS and are okay with an older one, my buddy who rides a 2003 (?) R6 says that his quotes come in as sport-touring quotes instead of SS quotes since it's an older bike with older tech and isn't as fast as the new FI SS bikes (YMMV depending on insurance company).

if it helps for individuals with new bikes who want a 600 SS and are okay with an older one, my buddy who rides a 2003 (?) R6 says that his quotes come in as sport-touring quotes instead of SS quotes since it's an older bike with older tech and isn't as fast as the new FI SS bikes (YMMV depending on insurance company).
unfortunately insurance companies change their minds on a whim.

it might be a touring bike this season and SS next year and you're screwed.

Royal Insurance - Facility

That is at the top of my insurance card. I don't know exactly but I can look into it more. Read over my policy and not sure

Facility association is the insurer of last resort. The law in Ontario says that everyone MUST be able to obtain insurance, and Facility is the last remaining option to fulfil that legal requirement when no other insurer is willing to underwrite you.

Honestly, knowing now that you're on facility, I'm surprised your quote was that low, actually...$2400 isn't crazy and facility is almost always MUCH higher than the traditional options...ie, if Dalton Timmis was $3800, you'd traditionally expect Facility to be perhaps $5000+.

you know whats funny doughnutts, i just inputted your basic information into my quoting system with a ajax address and it comes back being about $200 more expensive than Facility.

Just wanted to follow up. State Farm originally based motorcycle insurance on overall driving experience so I wasn't a new rider I had 12 years of experience. That is why the rate was so different from them and anyone else

I spoke to my broker who got me a quote with Royal Insurance of $2,425 annually. I had to pay in full but its $1,434 cheaper than anything else I was quoted. Just in case anyone wanted to check with them.

Bike: 2001 Honda CBR 600 F4i
License: GM2 (Obtained M2 November 2015)
Motorcycle Training: Completed September/October at Humber
Tickets: Speeding 81 in a 50
Years insured (Motorcycle): 0 (First time bike rider)

Royal Insurance: $2,425
Dalton Timmis: $3,859
State Farm: $8,496

I have gotten about 6 other quotes but all were more than Dalton Timmis.

Back
Top Bottom