Need Some Suggestions With Cars | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need Some Suggestions With Cars

Honda, Acura same ish. I haven't liked the Accord styling since my 1998 coupe exr. I believe that is a 2013 or 14.
Don't rule out the Jetta for mid size. Surprisingly roomy. Lots of trunk space too.
Good luck in your search.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Oh, just realized that's a Honda posted above, stupid phone I couldn't see it that well. What year accord is that?
That's the 2016 Sport model. This generation was introduced in 2013 and received some styling tweaks and upgrades for 2016.

Sent from my Passport

Heard some good things about the Fiesta ST. It seems like everything you want

Sporty
5 Doors (Hatch)
Fun
MSRP of 25k

Some other choices of cars I've driven:
Civic si (if you could haggle the price down to 25k, might be tough to do)
Turbo'd Dodge Dart
Veloseter Turbo (27k, you might have to haggle down)

Last edited:
No rust on my '08 Mazda CX-7. Only rust checked once the day before I picked it up from the dealer new in '08 (lifetime rust guarantee). Now with 197k on it and it looks new still. It's been to Nova Scotia and Vermont few times during winters and it sits in the garage as well. You've probably seen it at the track hauling a couple bikes and it always gets compliments. One set of brakes and a sensor and that's all that's been replaced in its lifetime. Reliable and runs perfect.

Something ha to go at some point though and I'll be in the market for a sporty sedan that can still haul my trailer. I wish their were more nice sporty wagon options

Golf GTI.
Hey guys, this is nonbike related, so that's why I posted here in rompwr room.
Long story short I've been stuck driving vans for 17 years. We had twins, who are now 17, but a van was always so convenient but now that the boys are older I would love to ditch the van and get a car. But I am so out of the car loop I don't know where to start. Here's what I would like,
Spend around 20-25k, willing to look used. But I would like something sporty, still 4 doors but I want some half decent performance, something fun to drive. But as I said I have zero clue as to what is out there sporty wise. I don't think I can afford a BMW or Mercedes, so if you can suggest some cars I can look at that would be fantastic.
Thanks guys and I look forward to your suggestions.

Jay

Something ha to go at some point though and I'll be in the market for a sporty sedan that can still haul my trailer. I wish their were more nice sporty wagon options

Mazda 6 wagon w diesel please. Nice looking vehicle.

There's nothing sporty about that current Golf wagon as I look like a small minivan. That Alltrack thingy isn't much better.
I like the Audi wagons but not enough to pay for their maintenance. I have a few friends driving new Jettas and Tijuans and each one is having mechanical lssues so I won't go near the brand.

if you are looking for fun to drive go for the GTI, or you could get a used (4-5 year old) 3 series that's in your budget, or if you are looking for a VERY fun to drive car that may not be very practical get a 135i

Accords are great cars (i had 3) reliable as hell, but not very fun to drive

I'm not a fan of domestics so cant comment on those

That was a close second for me last time I was looking. Hated the Mazda 3 and civic, elantra wasn't bad at all, Golf won out in the end for me. I wasn't sure about longevity/resale on the Hyundai. Based on my numbers the TDI and the elantra should have similar costs of ownership and I preferred almost everything about the Golf.

Elantra and Golf is literally like a day and night comparison as far as driving experience goes. Size wise, they might be in the same class, but that's about the only thing. No question Hyundai has made a huge progress over the years, but there's a reason the car is significantly cheaper to buy ...

Mazda 6 wagon w diesel please. Nice looking vehicle.

Doesn't exist and never will as far as Mazda and diesels in North America go. Years ago, they were considering it I believe, but it has never come to fruition and now I cannot see how they will bother ...

do you want a 'straight line' car ? like balls out motor ? or a good handling car ? or something balanced ?

Personally, unless I was independently wealthy...I wouldn't ever buy anything in the "cachet" brand category - BMW, Mercedes, Audi, the like. IMHO, too much money up front, often very rapid depreciation on many models, high insurance, and crazy *** insane rates for service after the fact.

BMW owners, for example, seem to think that $300 or $400 for an oil change is acceptable. God forbid you actually need anything major mechanical done on it, the old joke that BMW stands for "Bring My Wallet" holds true. Over the first 4 or 5 years, when the majority of work is covered by BMW their costs are very low, but buying used..outside that period, they quickly rise to the top of the pack in ownership costs.

I suppose if money is no object for ya, sure, go for it...but personally I just find it an insane amount of money (upfront, and ongoing) for a nameplate. With your budget in the 20-25K price range you're obviously not getting new if you're looking at the cachet category, so keep the long term ownership costs in mind.

Here's some interesting reading. You'll notice the cachet brands and their dollar figures are way up there.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/12/what-that-car-really-costs-to-own/index.htm

Every experience is different ...

In 2013 I found my dad a used 2006 Mercedes E-class with the v8 that had only 50k on it ... we picked it up for $15k 'cuz everyone wanted the 4 wheel drive version, and this was RWD version of the same car without all the 'frills' (e.g. nav, etc.). Yes the oil changes are about $250 bucks a pop but only happens once a year ... the service interval on it is every 24k (versus a regular car at 8k) ... so every 8k for 60 bucks is 180 / year versus 250 ... so its not THAT much more. 4 years later he's now got 140k KM on it and he's had only about $3000 in 'repairs' on it (not counting new tires, snow tires, etc.). The air ride suspension died on the rear end and had to be replaced.

Performance is more then abundant with a 380HP and 390ft lbs of torque driving only the rear wheels ... he says it was the best 15k he ever spent on a car.

I've got the 2010 Civic Si and I like the car, and find it to have more than enough space for me, wife, and friends if needed. Went on an East Coast road trip with it, strapped a Yakima box on the top, and had space left over. Everyone (4 of us) were comfortable and had a great trip.

The car's definitely underpowered and can feel it with the added weight but for 95% of my driving it's more than enough and can have a good rip when I'm in the mood. I'd recommend the 2.4l engine (so 2012MY and newer) as it's got more grunt and is a more refined ride. I had one, but it died within 22hrs of buying it so I returned it:(

Tough to find one not riced/modded out, but took me a few months to find it and glad I did. You will row through those gears non-stop though as the low torque requires continued shifting. But it's a slick transmission that is fun to go through.

Thanks for all the feedback, so I'm going to look at a 2014 Fusion 2.0 ecoboost, it has 240 hp, and Im also going to try out a 2013 Accord. I have done a bunch of reading up on these cars and man that ford, which I have never been remotely a fan of, sure gets great reviews. And it's pretty slick looking as well. I will also be looking at a lot less of a payment going with one of these two with the trade of my van which is paid for.
I'll keep this updated as I decide what to do, thanks again fellas there has been so much great info to help me decide.

Back
Top Bottom