Looking to Race with SOAR | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking to Race with SOAR

Just keep in mind..it still only has 45-50hp that will be up against modern 600s in Am600/Rookie Cup (so 115-125hp).

I am not saying that you can't still win...but you're going to have to run waaay above what the bike can do at that point.
He's got a zx6r

So you could be a front runner in AM and race rookie too?

Yes if your a rookie then your a rookie. Simply means that your new. So if your that fast then good on you. Its not a scale to judge a riders ability simply an even non-threatening place where EVERYONE is in the same place (less than six race weekends) . If its easier think of Sydney Crosby, drafted into the NHL (a rookie) then went on to spank the established players. is he not STILL a rookie? Anyway thats the way it works.

I guess I misinterpreted this below in red (my bad) I swear I read somewhere that the license for the first weekend is not a full license and can be revoked if the rider does not show proficiency (I am paraphrasing).

Section 7: ROOKIE CUP RIDER REQUIREMENTS
SOAR provides a rookie race class for riders to gain experience and improve their skills prior to upgrading from Amateur (Novice) to Professional (Expert) license status.

1. [*=left]Rookie Cup is restricted by engine capacity.
    [*=left]Rookie Cup riders are riders with less than six race weekend’s experience. These are ANY weekend not discounting other organizations.
    [*=left]Rookie Cup riders although racing, are encouraged to take this time as a learning tool to become accustomed to race procedures and racing itself.
    [*=left]All Rookie Cup riders must have completed either a SOAR Race School or approved other school. Holding a Novice or Amateur license from a recognized organization is sufficient proof to apply for a SOAR Amateurlicense.

Edit: Here found it

Section 8: FOR AMATEUR (Am) (formerly known as Novice) RACER LICENSE APPLICANTS

1. [*=left]Must have completed a SOAR Race School or equivalent, or, have been licensed with another recognized organization. Clarification on equivalent school is at the discretion of SOAR officials.
    [*=left]Upon completing the above listed requirements and application, the rider will be granted “Provisional Amateur” status for one race event. During this first race event, the rider will be required to complete the weekend with no major infractions and no more than one at fault crash. SOAR officials will determine the fault. If the rider completes the weekend, fulfilling the above requirements, they will then be granted a full Amateur race license.

I knew I wasn't going crazy.
I guess they are evaluated when they race amateur but not Rookie?

Regardless even the rule book encourages racers to ride rookie and get used to racing first before going into other categories which seems like a reasonable thing to do and rightfully you wrote it into your book.

Jesus I dont know why this is so hard to understand.
What you highlighted in the first section is accurate. They ARE encouraged to use the time to learn. It doesnt say you must stay here and learn until we deem you worthy. In the other highlight 4. Its referring to license requirements. To race rookie you must hold an Am license and these are the requirements to get one. Again not saying you have to pass a Rookie test, you CANT race rookie (or any class for that matter) WITHOUT the AM license.
Your other highlighted section is for licensing and has ZERO to do with rookie that has to do with all classes. You do the SCHOOL (not Rookie) we grant a provisional AM license. The clause is put there so very fresh racers dont go out and crash the hell our of themselves and others for fear of having to repeat the school. In the seven years that we have been doing this and hundreds of students we have only done this once.
Ok hope everyone is clear my online debating is done for this subject. If someone wants to chat about it further give me a call 289-312-0811 my two finger typing isnt up to this.

Sure. As long as you are within your first 6 race weekends.

Yes if your a rookie then your a rookie. Simply means that your new. So if your that fast then good on you. Its not a scale to judge a riders ability simply an even non-threatening place where EVERYONE is in the same place (less than six race weekends) . If its easier think of Sydney Crosby, drafted into the NHL (a rookie) then went on to spank the established players. is he not STILL a rookie? Anyway thats the way it works.

So once you've done your 6 races and shown you have some speed your bumped from rookie correct?

The Sydney Crosby reference doesn't work, he's a "pro rookie", not just learning how to play hockey.

So once you've done your 6 races and shown you have some speed your bumped from rookie correct?

The Sydney Crosby reference doesn't work, he's a "pro rookie", not just learning how to play hockey.
Here's an example, my buds first season he raced rookie 600 and amatuer 600. By his 6th weekend he was the fastest guy in rookie, but still only a top ten runner in amatuer. And being his six weekend, that is the last time he can run rookie.

Last edited:
I understand so no it isn't difficult. I never said you had to "pass a rookie test" or "you must be deemed worthy" so don't put words in my mouth i never said. I think you are misunderstanding the purpose of my comments here.

There is a balance between what the rules are and what is most recommended people do, my comments originally were on what my Opinion was people should do and I said I wasn't sure of the rules. You commented that there is no evaluation been done at all from Marshalls when your own books says there is in Amateur. Anyways I am just gonna let this go.

Jesus I dont know why this is so hard to understand.
What you highlighted in the first section is accurate. They ARE encouraged to use the time to learn. It doesnt say you must stay here and learn until we deem you worthy. In the other highlight 4. Its referring to license requirements. To race rookie you must hold an Am license and these are the requirements to get one. Again not saying you have to pass a Rookie test, you CANT race rookie (or any class for that matter) WITHOUT the AM license.
Your other highlighted section is for licensing and has ZERO to do with rookie that has to do with all classes. You do the SCHOOL (not Rookie) we grant a provisional AM license. The clause is put there so very fresh racers dont go out and crash the hell our of themselves and others for fear of having to repeat the school. In the seven years that we have been doing this and hundreds of students we have only done this once.
Ok hope everyone is clear my online debating is done for this subject. If someone wants to chat about it further give me a call 289-312-0811 my two finger typing isnt up to this.

Last edited:
Here's an example, my buds first season he raced rookie 600 and amatuer 600. By his 6th weekend he was the fastest guy in rookie, but still only a top ten runner in amatuer. And being his six weekend, that is the last time he can run rookie.

So then how do people win the rookie championship? This is what's confusing me. You do 6 races and get the boot if your fast or can you race the whole season and win the championship before being ineligible. After 6 races are you moved to AM or can you forever be a rookie if you're slow enough?

Can we just go ride now?

So then how do people win the rookie championship? This is what's confusing me. You do 6 races and get the boot if your fast or can you race the whole season and win the championship before being ineligible. After 6 races are you moved to AM or can you forever be a rookie if you're slow enough?

Can we just go ride now?

Whomever has the most points wins, and six is the max regardless of skill. So if winning rookie championship is an objective then you need to be fairly quick from the get go. And yes we can ride now, I'm going to play in the dirt :)

It's not like RACE Novice 600 where some people choose to stay their entire racing career with the occasional AM600 appearance.

Can we just go ride now?

So then how do people win the rookie championship?
The championship is 6 races, if your first race is on round one of Rookie, you can win the championship by competing in all 6 rounds. If you did 3 races in the previous season (let's say 2015) in Rookie you can only do another 3 rounds in 2016 hence difficult to win the rookie cup.

You do 6 races and get the boot
Yes, no matter what, fast or slow, after 6 races you get kicked out

if your fast or can you race the whole season and win the championship before being ineligible.

After 6 races are you moved to AM or can you forever be a rookie if you're slow enough?
You can only be a rookie for your first 6 races

Can we just go ride now?
No, it's cold out

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong ;)

I need to get me a job where I don't sit in front of a computer all day :( GTAM is killing me. Time to work!

Last edited:

Can we just go ride now?
6 race weekends and you are no longer eligible for rookie. Could be over a period of years depending when you start or a full season.

I thought he was talking about racing the XR650/FZR400 hybrid...my bad
sorry yeah I responded but didn't quote the right post

UMM No.
Rookie is simply a platform where EVERYONE is a beginner allowing for an equal playing field, thats all. In order to race in Rookie you must already have an Amateur race license so that allows you to race in any AM class (with any org as a matter of fact not just SOAR). We dont grade licenses nor evaluate riders skills for graduating within a classification (unless of course it is extreme in either direction) I believe your confusing Rookie with RACEs old Novice class.
Its of no mind I already spoke to the OP regarding his options with SOAR.

Hey Ken

The last email i got was just the classes i can compete in.

Rookie
AM 600 Extreme
AM SBK
AM Open
Bridgetone Cup

I just wanted some input for what classes a first year like me should do from the forums :)

Enter Rookie and 600 Extreme for sure. I think you bought Dunlop tires, which rules out Bridgestone Cup. Superbike and Open have a few liter bikes in them; see how your first weekend goes and make your decision on those after that. Two classes in one weekend is good, three classes is plenty.

Enter Rookie and 600 Extreme for sure. I think you bought Dunlop tires, which rules out Bridgestone Cup. Superbike and Open have a few liter bikes in them; see how your first weekend goes and make your decision on those after that. Two classes in one weekend is good, three classes is plenty.

Last year schedule http://www.soaracing.ca/Round_One_Schedule_of_Events.pdf

600 extreme first race of the day, rookie second last race.

I would do Rookie and Amateur 600. Open and Superbike are also not bad choices, I tend to think they are a little less chaotic just because the a lot of the 600s don't enter.

I always recommend doing two classes, especially as a rookie. Gives you a chance to learn from some of the faster guys and then hopefully apply that new found knowledge in the rookie cup.

:happy1:
I'm thinking the track can't come soon enough

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom