Looking to Race with SOAR | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking to Race with SOAR

Since I started racing I haven't experienced a day where there was an issue with either RACE or CSBK using the AMB system.

The in-track loop on the Fabi track didn't pick up my transponder the last time I rode a RACE round there. The year before that, it was intermittent. I wasn't the only one with trouble that day. It doesn't seem to be a problem when using the front track (which is every other track configuration).

My main beef with it is that it's expensive, and now AMB has gone to a subscription model, which means the per-event cost is even more. It is at the point now where for someone only doing two or three events per season (a lot of VRRA members are like that) it's cheaper to rent one per weekend. (CSBK does this by default, it's included in your entry fee.) At least if you rent it and the transponder has a problem, it's someone else's problem - "doesn't work, give me another one".

"but it's only a small piece of the total cost of racing" ... indeed. The straw is only a small piece of the weight that broke the camel's back, too.

SOAR started out using an RFID-tag system ... and then TagHeuer bought out the company and shut them down. They're planning to use another RFID-tag system which was being tested last year.

Best bang for your buck would be endurance. Grab a couple friends to reduce cost and your bike will still be competitive.

+ 1, edit: only you'll need someone to play score timer and count your laps at soar..for hours..I'd rather rent a transponder and do the vrra friday endurance race.

Last edited:
The in-track loop on the Fabi track didn't pick up my transponder the last time I rode a RACE round there. The year before that, it was intermittent. I wasn't the only one with trouble that day. It doesn't seem to be a problem when using the front track (which is every other track configuration).

My main beef with it is that it's expensive, and now AMB has gone to a subscription model, which means the per-event cost is even more. It is at the point now where for someone only doing two or three events per season (a lot of VRRA members are like that) it's cheaper to rent one per weekend. (CSBK does this by default, it's included in your entry fee.) At least if you rent it and the transponder has a problem, it's someone else's problem - "doesn't work, give me another one".

"but it's only a small piece of the total cost of racing" ... indeed. The straw is only a small piece of the weight that broke the camel's back, too.

SOAR started out using an RFID-tag system ... and then TagHeuer bought out the company and shut them down. They're planning to use another RFID-tag system which was being tested last year.

you can rent a transponder for the weekend, from RACE
what year did you last run at RACE?

+ 1, edit: only you'll need someone to play score timer and count your laps at soar..for hours..I'd rather rent a transponder and do the vrra friday endurance race.
That's all fine and dandy until the system goes down. Happened to VRRA last year during their endurance race. You need manual scoring for that reason alone.

you can rent a transponder for the weekend, from RACE
what year did you last run at RACE?

It's getting to be a while ago. Perhaps 2011. I've been there with VRRA since. If they've replaced the timing loop at Fabi, that's good. At the time, they were threatening to charge for a rental transponder even though it was their problem ... That's not how you handle customers ...

I bought mine for $300 five years ago knowing this was part of the cost of racing. I could sell it tomorrow for $300. There's obviously a reason why the major organizations use it.

That's all fine and dandy until the system goes down. Happened to VRRA last year during their endurance race. You need manual scoring for that reason alone.

that makes sense. I was being a little tongue in cheek though (with the for hours thing). so for endurance racing you would/should have someone for manual scoring, regardless if you have a transponder?
i like the idea of endurance racing for seat time, and like you mentioned best bang for your buck.

Last edited:
I bought mine for $300 five years ago knowing this was part of the cost of racing. I could sell it tomorrow for $300. There's obviously a reason why the major organizations use it.

... unless the non-replaceable battery dies! (yes, there are videos on youtube about how to replace the non-replaceable battery)

This is ok for the people that own one (and I own one too, because of the VRRA). But Mylaps has gone to a subscription model and you can't buy new ones any more ... obviously they want to increase their own revenue stream $ $ $

... unless the non-replaceable battery dies! (yes, there are videos on youtube about how to replace the non-replaceable battery)

This is ok for the people that own one (and I own one too, because of the VRRA). But Mylaps has gone to a subscription model and you can't buy new ones any more ... obviously they want to increase their own revenue stream $ $ $

It was $50 to send it to the guy to test and find out my battery was ok (couldn't get it to turn on, weird) and I think another $20 for a new battery. I can swallow that.

Yeah I'm waiting for the battery to quit on mine; good thing people have figured out how to change them. You are supposed to charge them up once a month during the off season, which I've more or less done. So far so good.

Thought it was once every 3 months for charging during the off season.

Brian

In 4 years I have never had an issue with any results at SMP being recorded or reported.

When you had issues were you using the red or yellow transponder?

I rented for the first years. Quick. Easy. But as far as a "cost" of $45 for a weekend shouldn't make or break whether you should be racing. If it does for some people than maybe they shouldn't be considering racing as a hobby.

Show me one system, just one, that has been implemented in Canada that has not had some sort of issue?
Timing is a love hate. they work, they fail, they all have issues. It's part of the experience!
There is not one system that can not be cursed by someone,,,even the old school, pen and paper had it's issues.
For the most part I think they all are great and all orgs that en devour to get a system ,what ever it may be,,,good on ya!

Show me one system, just one, that has been implemented in Canada that has not had some sort of issue?
Timing is a love hate. they work, they fail, they all have issues. It's part of the experience!
There is not one system that can not be cursed by someone,,,even the old school, pen and paper had it's issues.
For the most part I think they all are great and all orgs that en devour to get a system ,what ever it may be,,,good on ya!
When I raced with Off-road Ontario they were having fits trying to get the transponder system working properly when it was first implemented. However they persevered and it didn't take long to iron out the kinks. When they got it working right, it was awesome.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

So when its fully charged, do you just leave it in the charger in sleep mode?

Yup, I just charge it and leave it. I don't do it religiously just whenever I happen to remember to do it (4-5 times over the offseason). I've had it for 4 years now and it still gives me a 4 day charge.

I'm in pretty much the same boat as MurphSVR. I was in the middle of building a 250Ninja for Moto Series when they pulled the plug on the 2016 season. Fortunately I really like endurance racing so the little Ninjette will be the new bike for the DAYAM Racing Team with SOAR in the GTL class.

Hmmm. Looks like My XR650R motor in an FZR400 frame may be legal for Lightweight Superbike. Could be fun!

Relax, FZR400 guys, It's a stone stock motor. It has a giant 45mm carb and a custom exhaust, but the inside of the motor hasn't been touched:

DSC03244_Medium.jpg

DSC03258_Medium.jpg

DSC03256_Medium.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom