Looking to Race with SOAR | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking to Race with SOAR

MurfSVR

So today my race org just announced that the season will be canceled due to our home track being overhauled by new ownership.

I'm interested in racing with SOAR bc it's the next closest track but have a few questions that I couldn't find answers too on the website.

1) I race a SV650 it looks like I can race in lost era and lightweight super bike. Does each class race once on Saturday and once on Sunday? Does the registration for each class cover one race? I guess just school me on the track time per weekend if I'm in two classes.

2) How are the races staggered? Will I race in the morning and possibly have to wait until late afternoon to race again?

3) Our org doesn't do qualifying- how does that work with track time? Can you school me on qualifying?

4) Is there a SV650 scene? Are they mostly stock SV650's or 80+hp?

Basically I want to race but another high priority is maximum track time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) I race a SV650 it looks like I can race in lost era and lightweight super bike. Does each class race once on Saturday and once on Sunday? Does the registration for each class cover one race? I guess just school me on the track time per weekend if I'm in two classes.

The SV will be removed from Ltwt SBK this season. You can race LE Ltwt. BOTT Ltwt, those will be your primary classes. However you can bump into LE Hvwt,BOTT Hvwt, 600, Open,SBK, Bridgestone,Femme and OBC is you fit the criteria. Friday is optional practice day. Sat is two hours revolving practice time then a qualifier in each class entered. Then a three hour endurance race after lunch. Sunday is same with practice in morning then a final for each class entered.

2) How are the races staggered? Will I race in the morning and possibly have to wait until late afternoon to race again?

Depends on the classes. Last year we pretty much ran same schedule each round but this year there will be adjustments as we are adding a Supermoto class. So I cant comment on exact scheduling.

3) Our org doesn't do qualifying- how does that work with track time? Can you school me on qualifying?

Its a shorter race generally 4-5 laps. Grids are done for qualifier first using entry date/time then following rounds by points. The finish in the qualifier sets the grid for the finals on Sunday.

Last season there were only a couple however I know of at least four more coming this season.

Best to email me at info@SOARacing.ca with any questions you have. I am not on here all the time anymore.
Cheers
Ken

The SV will be removed from Ltwt SBK this season. You can race LE Ltwt. BOTT Ltwt, those will be your primary classes. However you can bump into LE Hvwt,BOTT Hvwt, 600, Open,SBK, Bridgestone,Femme and OBC is you fit the criteria. Friday is optional practice day. Sat is two hours revolving practice time then a qualifier in each class entered. Then a three hour endurance race after lunch. Sunday is same with practice in morning then a final for each class entered.

Depends on the classes. Last year we pretty much ran same schedule each round but this year there will be adjustments as we are adding a Supermoto class. So I cant comment on exact scheduling.

Its a shorter race generally 4-5 laps. Grids are done for qualifier first using entry date/time then following rounds by points. The finish in the qualifier sets the grid for the finals on Sunday.

Last season there were only a couple however I know of at least four more coming this season.

Best to email me at info@SOARacing.ca with any questions you have. I am not on here all the time anymore.
Cheers
Ken

What is the point of removing the SV from LWT Superbike? Did a certain FZR rider get tired of getting beaten by the 650, so he lobbied for them to be removed?

What is the point of removing the SV from LWT Superbike? Did a certain FZR rider get tired of getting beaten by the 650, so he lobbied for them to be removed?

Especially considering if you were to ask any racer to tell you what bike they think of when you say light weight twin superbike....they would say sv650

Especially considering if you were to ask any racer to tell you what bike they think of when you say light weight twin superbike....they would say sv650

It's not lightweight twin superbike though

Most SV650s at R.A.C.E at Shannonville were 2nd Gen with mid 70 hp. 1 was a 80+. The rest were 1st Gen ranging from stock 64 hp up to built with 75 hp.

Same goes for Lightweight Superbike

LWT superbike at RACE consisted of 4-5 SV650s, 1 Hawk and 1 400 Bandit(when I decided to have a go) The racing was close and fun (for the front runners)

I am curious as to when someone will come out with a ER6 Kawasaki and give the SVs a run for their money.

I'm that FZR racer.

My suggestion to SV owners about being taken out of LW SB ... Don't complain. The SV650 owners still have Battle of the Twins Lightweight as a primary class (in which it will be a competitive front-runner) and quite a few others as decent secondary classes. With the SV legal for LW SB, the FZR400 has NO classes in which it is competitive. With the SV out of that class, I have a class in which it is competitive and one other (Vintage) in which I can enter but (typically) be beaten by larger-displacement bikes. And, taking the SVs out of LW SB makes that class more attractive to owners of RC390, Ninja 300, R3, etc., all of which have pretty much NO chance against an SV650 assuming more-or-less equal riders.

It's better to give everyone one "good" class instead of some riders two "good" and other riders none ...

I won the LW SB championship last year but it was only because the SV owners for the most part didn't realize that their bikes were legal.

And I've ridden an SV650 on the track. And I've seen built SV650s giving 600cc 4 cylinder bikes fits. I really don't care what WERA calls a Lightweight Superbike.

LW SB is meant for FZR400, RZ350, EX500, RC390, R3, CBR500, etc.

See you out there.

(Also curious about which series got its season cancelled, first I've heard of it)

What about the best track time for your buck/loon consideration? I love racing but my prior series' sprints were 10 laps.....4-5 laps for the money is like paying double (even considering the USD because of the pricing and HST)

I'm that FZR racer.

My suggestion to SV owners about being taken out of LW SB ... Don't complain. The SV650 owners still have Battle of the Twins Lightweight as a primary class (in which it will be a competitive front-runner) and quite a few others as decent secondary classes. With the SV legal for LW SB, the FZR400 has NO classes in which it is competitive. With the SV out of that class, I have a class in which it is competitive and one other (Vintage) in which I can enter but (typically) be beaten by larger-displacement bikes. And, taking the SVs out of LW SB makes that class more attractive to owners of RC390, Ninja 300, R3, etc., all of which have pretty much NO chance against an SV650 assuming more-or-less equal riders.

It's better to give everyone one "good" class instead of some riders two "good" and other riders none ...

I won the LW SB championship last year but it was only because the SV owners for the most part didn't realize that their bikes were legal.

And I've ridden an SV650 on the track. And I've seen built SV650s giving 600cc 4 cylinder bikes fits. I really don't care what WERA calls a Lightweight Superbike.

LW SB is meant for FZR400, RZ350, EX500, RC390, R3, CBR500, etc.

See you out there.

(Also curious about which series got its season cancelled, first I've heard of it)

The FZR400 has a fantastic class....its call P4F3....and even in F2 its competitive. (in the VRRA)

The RZ350, EX500, RC390, CBR500, and hell even my 400 Bandit were racing in LWT Production with RACE.

And yes, Chris allowed the RZ, and Bandit into LWT Production because that is where they SHOULD be. Considering a RS250 Aprilla is considered LWT production the rules needed a serious going over after R#1.

Vintage 400s, 350s, and 500s were then allowed to ride in LWT Production. And as far as I am concerned yes they have the top speed advantage, but production suspension, and brakes....allows the Ninja 300s/CBR300s to catch up and pass us easily.

So yes, YOUR FZR isnt production worthy, but a stock FZR is.

MotoSeries in the states was canceled. Also SV650s who give 600s a run is all rider - so that's not a fair argument.

Well without SV650s in the class how many bikes will grid? it better be more than 7-8.

Just sucks to have potential track time taken from an established group of riders. It's not like the SV is a new bike upsetting the scene - FZRs stopped being produced in the mid 90s, other orgs would just put you guys in vintage were I agree you belong.

MotoSeries in the states was canceled. Also SV650s who give 600s a run is all rider - so that's not a fair argument.

Well without SV650s in the class how many bikes will grid? it better be more than 7-8.

Just sucks to have potential track time taken from an established group of riders. It's not like the SV is a new bike upsetting the scene - FZRs stopped being produced in the mid 90s, other orgs would just put you guys in vintage were I agree you belong.

The FZR is old, so is my Bandit. And while they hold a top speed advantage over the CBR250/EX250s, the new 300s (and 321cc Yamaha, and RC390) are all just as fast.

LWT Production is the proper class for those bike. The rules are crap at the moment.

380cc four stroke multi
400cc single
500cc four stroke air cooled (vintage)
400cc 2 stroke street based bike.
Any year CBR250/300
Any year Ninja 250/300
Yamaha R3
RC390
Hyosung 250.

So lets break that down.

400cc two stroke street based bike. So RS250 Aprilla, RGV250, NSR250, NS400r....

Seriously? Stock vs stock....common now.

Now 550 inline 4 (vintage 25+ years old) should replace that....GPz550s, FZR400s, GS550EFE, Bandit 400s

Because frankly production 550s from 25 years ago, are on par with ninja 300s of today.

The FZR400 has a fantastic class....its call P4F3....and even in F2 its competitive. (in the VRRA)

Of course, but I'd like to do more than three (this year, four) events per season.

SOAR did not run LWT Production. Agree that the rules for the smaller/older bikes needed a going-over. After last year's attempt to harmonize the SOAR and RACE rules, it is apparent that they went in two slightly different directions. One of the things SOAR is doing is removing 650 Twins from LW SB in order to make the class more attractive to RC390, Ninja 300, etc which are current production bikes - in recognition that the 650 Twins already have many classes that they are eligible for.

In LW SB last year, there was exactly one SV650 that entered the class, and only for a couple of rounds. The SV riders entered LW Twins, Lost Era, bump-up to HW Twins (still decent in that class because not many true HW Twins show up). Is that not enough? If doing that rule change makes LW SB more attractive to the true small displacement bikes then it's a worthwhile trade.

It was a dominate bike that has many other options. With the influx of smaller machines from Honda, Kawi,Yamaha and KTM it just made sense and NO nobody complained we make rule corrections every year and this is just one of them. Just for the record I am the guy that wrote the Ltwt Production rule for both SOAR and RACE last season. It is basically a mirror class with one being modified bikes and the other for stock bikes. Its pretty much that simple. This has little to do with the vintage bikes that currently run the class and more to do with the smaller sport bikes coming online. It does help the others as well. If you look at the SV.
A female rider on a first gen SV over the age of 40 on Bridgestone tires could have run EVERY class at SOAR in 2015. What we did was eliminate just one. I dont see the big issue here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom