Need some advice on trailer stuff | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need some advice on trailer stuff

Well I bit the bullet & bought on of the folding trailers in Nam's opening post last weekend.
Went together quickly & easily today, will do the wiring tommorrow.
Seems pretty strong when all bolted up ready to use but a bit flimsy when folded up & the castors are terrible, I'll be replacing those for sure with some rubber shod easier moving ones.
I also removed all the grease that came in the wheels hubs & bearings & replaced it with a high quality grease.
The wheel hubs now have grease nipples fitted which is a good idea.
Tie downs..........is a 1200lb break strength strong enough to hold my ZX7 ok or would I need to go heavy duty?
I'll be bolting the tie downs through the wood dec & the steel frame.
All in all it seems ok to me & helps solve my trailer storage problems.
I am glad you bit the bullet and bought it. I waited too long and the prices for them are now $100 more ($750). I did start looking at the more expensive ones like the Kendon. Decisions decisions.

Sounds like your getting well set up. I'd only add getting a spare wheel, and having a wrench that fits the nuts and a way to jack the trailer to change said wheel. I've sat in a Walmart parking lot from 3AM till they open with my buddy that swore he had a wrench that fit, and been with a buddy that had a spare and a wrench and no jack. I carry all the crap and have never been stranded , its a Karma thing.

Considering you're going to be using 4 of them, that should be plenty. ;)

Sounds like you're well setup. Good idea repacking the bearings, and make sure to check the tires before every haul - the little trailer tires are notorious for loosing air when sitting and overheated tires as a result of improper inflation is the number 1 cause for blowouts.
You can say that again. A few years back I bought my first trailer used. Replaced the wheel bearings, painted it and bought new tires and rims. First time I loaded a bike on it, I noticed the tire was fairly low. I thought to myself, "I'll have to top that up later". Got maybe 30km from home and noticed that tire had melted and blown, pretty much shredded. I had to leave the bike and trailer and run to the tsc in Orangeville to buy another (no spare). It was dark and cold by the time I arrived at my destination, but I learned two important lessons that day. One, always keep trailer tires at the right pressure. Two, did I mention I had no wrench to fit the lugs?

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Oh for ****'s sake that trailer is gone.

Might go with my original route; have a friend that knows this stuff pretty well so I suppose it isn't a horrible idea. Wish getting a trailer was as easy as a motorcycle lol

油井緋色;2392226 said:

Might go with my original route; have a friend that knows this stuff pretty well so I suppose it isn't a horrible idea. Wish getting a trailer was as easy as a motorcycle lol

Just do it Nam, its not hard to put together, honestly, lay the parts out & be logical..........if you buy one PM me with any questions as some of the pictures in the instructions are a bit misleading.
I'm attempting the lights & wiring tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice everyone, spare is a must I know & the lady gave me a free spare tire mounting kit cos of my cute English accent lol
Would never have thought of the jack though, good call Crankcall
I always have axle stands (& a support bar in case I need to take back wheel out of bike) & mini compressor gear etc with me so that's covered but yea, thanks for all the tips, especially Mr Newman for the pictures he sent of his trailer.

油井緋色;2392226 said:

It was gone a few hours after you posted it...as I said, it wasn't going to last long, that was a steal.

This time of year when the season is just around the corner and peoples minds have started focusing on it you're going to need to be QUICK to get anything that amounts to a good deal. Be prepared to buy same day, or be prepared to miss out.

油井緋色;2392226 said:

Don't mean to be an @$$ but I'm willing to bet a GTAMer scooped it up after you posted it. I hope not, but I'd still put my money on yes.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Considering you're going to be using 4 of them, that should be plenty. ;)

Sounds like you're well setup. Good idea repacking the bearings, and make sure to check the tires before every haul - the little trailer tires are notorious for loosing air when sitting and overheated tires as a result of improper inflation is the number 1 cause for blowouts.

Don't mean to be an @$$ but I'm willing to bet a GTAMer scooped it up after you posted it. I hope not, but I'd still put my money on yes.

What trailer do you 2 guys own?

What trailer do you 2 guys own?
I bought the one he posted. ?
Ah c'mon. It's late and I'm bored. And if I see one for sale I will let him know. Besides this isn't the first time I haven't contributed anything useful to a thread.
And PP has some knock off trailer. Iirc.

Exactly!

You know as members of a forum, you 2 don't need to feel like you need to post on EVERY single thread even if you don't know what you are talking about. just saying ;)

Last edited:
We are, I like you so I tried not to be mean
...and I thought me and you were cool 

I have the harbour freight trailer which seems identical to what the OP posted, I think I got mine for around $230 USD thanks to a sale or a discount coupon or whatever -- you can sign up to harbor freight newsletters and have the discount codes and sales emailed to you.

It is a cheap trailer though. In retrospect I probably should have just bought a good trailer to begin with. There are a few places in Cambridge that offer good deals... like this aluminum trailer with ramps for $1249 (provided you don't need the folding option): http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cargo-utilit...tv/1079277304?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Personally, I don't even find the folding option all that useful on the HBF trailers... once you have plywood on there and a wheel chock or two, it becomes an incredible PITA to actually fold it up due to how much disassembly and reassembly you have to do. If you can manage the space to have a trailer not folded, do it... you'll likely use it much more often. I built a side yard fence to house my trailer so I don't need to bother folding it.

Finally, Paulo you are a dick. This is a forum for anyone to contribute, useful or not, experienced or not. Are you trying to be a forum cop now? A wanna-be moderator? Just lay off already.

I have the harbour freight trailer which seems identical to what the OP posted, I think I got mine for around $230 USD thanks to a sale or a discount coupon or whatever -- you can sign up to harbor freight newsletters and have the discount codes and sales emailed to you.

It is a cheap trailer though. In retrospect I probably should have just bought a good trailer to begin with. There are a few places in Cambridge that offer good deals... like this aluminum trailer with ramps for $1249 (provided you don't need the folding option): http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cargo-utilit...tv/1079277304?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Personally, I don't even find the folding option all that useful on the HBF trailers... once you have plywood on there and a wheel chock or two, it becomes an incredible PITA to actually fold it up due to how much disassembly and reassembly you have to do. If you can manage the space to have a trailer not folded, do it... you'll likely use it much more often. I built a side yard fence to house my trailer so I don't need to bother folding it.

Finally, Paulo you are a dick. This is a forum for anyone to contribute, useful or not, experienced or not. Are you trying to be a forum cop now? A wanna-be moderator? Just lay off already.

Had the Harbour Front trailer for a few years, towed my 700lbs Yamaha cruiser to South Dakota and to Florida with it. All in all about 11,000km, and never had a problem with it. Purchased it from HF in Buffalo and assembled it at home, followed a really good "How to" thread here on GTAM. But be aware, the total cost to build it is closer to $700 when everything is factored in (the kit itself, US exchange rate, NY state taxes, Canadian customs - cannot really avoid that, plywood, paint, eyebolts and other mounting hardware, wheel choke, spare wheel and carrier, reflective tape, ramp, tie downs, registration). On top of that are the costs associated with the car - the hitch, receiver, ball, wiring, plus the installation if not done at home. Not all those costs are for the trailer, granted, but you should be aware of them.

Building the trailer was fun (just think LEGO), but it required an entire day. Working on a warm day made it more pleasant. Also, there is a lot of running around: Home Depot, Princess Auto, MTO, etc.

The big advantage of this trailer is that can sit folded in a garage. And it was light -important as I was towing with a Mazda Protege5 and the trailer does not have its own brakes. Low cost for a brand new trailer is another pro.

Cons, there were a few: as mentioned earlier, very cumbersome to assemble-disassemble, about an hour each due to four very PITA and inaccessible screws. With the wheel choke on, the trailer cannot be folded properly, so on some years I was taking that off as well. Paint was so and so, did not age well, on my way back from Florida got into some snow / salt and that contributed to some corrosion. The coupler was very cumbersome and difficult to operate (compared to my current trailer). The trailer is rated for max speed of 88km/h, wont say that never went faster, just wasn't very comfortable exceeding 100-110 kmh.

In the end I sold the trailer for $400, as I needed one that could carry two bikes. Ended up buying an aluminum trailer for $2,000+, it is a Rolls-Royce compared to the previous, but cannot store it in my garage.

Me a moderator? lol - Just my observation that the same damn 5 guys are the same ones posting diarrhea in every single thread regardless of the topic.

But you are right, I am being a dick so I will lay off. It started as a joke but I am sure it didn't came off that way. Motogp time anyways.

You know as members of a forum, you 2 don't need to feel like you need to post on EVERY single thread even if you don't know what you are talking about

I'm only a commercial tractor trailer driver with over 20 years of experience in the industry. I don't own a 40 foot horse trailer, nor did I own a 35 foot 5th wheel RV that we towed coast to coast several times.

I don't know anything about trailers, nope. :rolleyes:

I have noticed that you know everything about everything, anyone that opens any thread will realize ;)

Anyways. I am out.

I'm only a commercial tractor trailer driver with over 20 years of experience in the industry. I don't own a 40 foot horse trailer, nor did I own a 35 foot 5th wheel RV that we towed coast to coast several times.

I don't know anything about trailers, nope. :rolleyes:

I guess you stumble across threads in which I've replied and choose to hyper focus on them. There are many I have no interest in you won't find me there. Looking at the Active Topics listing actually, going back to yesterday evening, there's only 4 threads (out of 20) that I've participated in.

Forgive me if I have knowledge on a variety of topics that I enjoy sharing in a few threads, you too seem to just be part of the same threads.

If you find anything I share factually incorrect feel free to correct me, otherwise....you're upset why?

Back
Top Bottom