Need some advice on trailer stuff | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need some advice on trailer stuff

油井緋色

Site Supporter
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cargo-utilit...49/1143996681?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I found this; it meets the storage and space requirements for all my track days in the future. However, it looks like it'll need a floor, and some stuff to tie the bike down with.

I'm thinking plywood from Home Depot? But then how do I make sure the floor stays put (screws, nuts, washer size?) and put anchor points for the tie downs?

Any advice is appreciated; I'm a programmer, not a handyman lol

I'd recommend plywood and then tarwrap for weathering and grip. Don't screw it down, I'd suggest nut/bolt and washer. If you can afford diamond steel plate and paying a local shop to weld it on that'd be an idea, then grit paint and ready to go.

I did this to my friends harbour freight trailer. 3/4 inch plywood with flush mount countersunk Allen bolts and nuts, you could then have a removable wheel chock on the front for the bike using a metal backing plate on the wood deck.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456878670.103255.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456878813.834438.jpg

The OP's posted trailer looks a lot like the harbour freight trailer that is half the money.

As for attaching plywood down, I am a fan of T-nuts where you can access the back. (Bolt w washer would come up from underneath into t-nut on top of plywood). Or carriage bolts as recommended above.

5-16-x-1-2-tee-nut-4-prong-z.jpg

For my craptastic HF trailer, I just used cheap plywood (1/2 IIRC). It has been on for years and I have left it outside for a few summers and it is starting to look tired, but still works well. If I used tie-downs attached to the deck, I would be more concerned about the materials/condition.

It is a harbor freight clone, for sure. There's a few people up here selling them - at least one claims that the one he's selling is a superior model with a stronger build/material, but YMMV.

I wouldn't use tie downs attached to the deck either. Put the wheels on the deck, attach the straps to the frame somehow. Not sure if the stake pockets on these are secure enough to attach straps to, but I'd be putting some rings through the frame somehow and attaching there before ratcheting down to anything attached to the deck.

油井緋色;2387437 said:
Don't know jack about trailers. I'm assuming after shipping I'd need to do some MTO stuff to make it legal?

Should come with a VIN already, take it and supporting purchase paperwork to MTO, pay taxes on the declared purchase price, get trailer plates, done deal. Trailer stuff is dead easy, it's only the fact that it's a brand new registration (no existing ownership) that might add a slight bit of complication, but shouldn't be a big deal.

If no VIN on it (it "fell out of the box" type thing, who knows what the deal is on some of these knockoffs) just register it as a homebuilt - that's even easier yet.

Should come with a VIN already, take it and supporting purchase paperwork to MTO, pay taxes on the declared purchase price, get trailer plates, done deal. Trailer stuff is dead easy, it's only the fact that it's a brand new registration (no existing ownership) that might add a slight bit of complication, but shouldn't be a big deal.

If no VIN on it (it "fell out of the box" type thing, who knows what the deal is on some of these knockoffs) just register it as a homebuilt - that's even easier yet.

Seems like shipping is the biggest problem then if I go with the US version route...

油井緋色;2387440 said:
Seems like shipping is the biggest problem then if I go with the US version route...

Agreed. Just driving across the border and getting it yourself is an option. $300 USD = $400 CDN, not including any US tax (forget what the NYS sales tax is), plus your gas, bridge fees..a day of driving, say another $100. At $500 CDN by the time you're all done, the Toronto based options looked pretty good when I was contemplating one of these trailers.

Most people just import it as parts and register as home built. Requires zero effort and works just the same at the end of the day.

When I bought mine after factoring in fuel and everything it cost me about $420 canadian for the final product. That was before the exchange rate went to **** though. I also had to get a replacement axle for mine because the one that came with it was dickered which meant driving back across to pick it up.

The other thing that is nicer with the one you posted is the tongue is a different design so less chance of it hitting the bumper.

Overall the trailer is nothing special. The build quality is not great, and the fenders are notorious for breaking. However, it gets the job done. Been hauling bikes with mine for two seasons, the bearings are still good, and it's never left me stranded. It folds up surprisingly small so it doesn't take up a lot of room in the garage.

Last edited:
Agreed. Just driving across the border and getting it yourself is an option. $300 USD = $400 CDN, not including any US tax (forget what the NYS sales tax is), plus your gas, bridge fees..a day of driving, say another $100. At $500 CDN by the time you're all done, the Toronto based options looked pretty good when I was contemplating one of these trailers.

It semi-regularly goes on sale for $225 and you can use 20% off coupons to get that down to 180. The economics make a lot more sense then.

It semi-regularly goes on sale for $225 and you can use 20% off coupons to get that down to 180. The economics make a lot more sense then.

Considering I need wood and a wheel chock, this might make sense too. I'll visit the local one and see first

Hey Nam,
I'm also in the market for the same trailer & I'm thinking I'll just drive down to Milton & pick one up for the $650Cdn.
I thought about going the US route but after taking into account $$ exchange rate, gas for your car & your time driving over the border to pick one up etc I'm thinking just getting the Canadian one makes more sense (at the moment anyways).
I'm hoping to go get one in the next 2 weeks - then comes the fun part of putting it all together..............

Hey Nam,
I'm also in the market for the same trailer & I'm thinking I'll just drive down to Milton & pick one up for the $650Cdn.
I thought about going the US route but after taking into account $$ exchange rate, gas for your car & your time driving over the border to pick one up etc I'm thinking just getting the Canadian one makes more sense (at the moment anyways).
I'm hoping to go get one in the next 2 weeks - then comes the fun part of putting it all together..............
That's the $650 including tax one. Maybe we can go buy 2 or 3 of them and get a discount?

Why not spend 1100 and get a good trailer with proper 14 inch wheels etc and forget about these junk trailers?

Sent from a device using a program

Back
Top Bottom