Question about shed building. Design / permit. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question about shed building. Design / permit.

local codes here dealt with base footage dimensions for sheds. So a buddy built a mushroom shed. Footing was at the max allowed, but the "2nd" story over hung the "1st" floor all around....lol.

local codes here dealt with base footage dimensions for sheds. So a buddy built a mushroom shed. Footing was at the max allowed, but the "2nd" story over hung the "1st" floor all around....lol.

In Etobicoke there is a height there is a height restriction which would make for a funny looking mushroom. I was kicking around the idea of a lighthouse but too high. A shipping container on end would be the same.

However if it's the base for a wind turbine the provincial government has vetoed all the rules. A new multi story shed and free electricity all in one.
For sh's and gigs Google "She Shed" pictures.

I'm not really a rules guy but thank Jesus there are bylaws. Last thing I need is a 'lighthouse' next door, container on end or a mushroom shed. Watching my house become the 'hard to sell' because my neighbor is an artist? no thanks.

two idiots down the street have a turf war going Guy A waits till Guy B has a new pool pump and heater installed , then calls town that the shed that has sat there twenty yrs is non compliant and needs to be moved 16 inches off the fence line. Lawyers are involved, shed gets moved. Guy B moves all equipment and goes to the height restriction on out buildings with a new roof and a big round window with about a 10,000 watt light in the shed aimed at the round window that acts like a projector into the back of Guy A's house. Lawyers continue to make money. Now there is a snow fence to the property line down the lawn, GuyA buys 25hp snowblower and at 2am fills GuyB's drive. Its F'in funny if you don't live at that end of the street.

Thanks to all for the constructive comments and suggestions...the non-constructive ones...thanks I guess lol

Question was not whether or not I need a permit for large shed...I know that I do. What I needed to confirm was whether I (as a normal non-architect / designer) can provide basic drawings to CoT in order to get plans approved.

Reason we don't want to have 2 structures in the back is 1. mom is already not happy about larger structure / 2. dad wants to have a place where he can do some work as right now he's got a legal 100ft2 shed with an overhang but still can't really do much work in it when it's raining/cold.

What I needed to confirm was whether I (as a normal non-architect / designer) can provide basic drawings to CoT in order to get plans approved.

My Hamilton experience was to hand sketch the overall structure, and additional detail to the side, using standard western hemisphere construction practices found in any basic stick building trade book. Using a ruler/straight edge as needed and clear numbers, I was able to hoodwink city hall out of a permit. Were there revisions? Of course there were. Think of the building dept. as a kindly teacher, if it looks like you put thought, effort and passion into the rendering they are more than happy to guide your final drawing to success.

My Hamilton experience was to hand sketch the overall structure, and additional detail to the side, using standard western hemisphere construction practices found in any basic stick building trade book. Using a ruler/straight edge as needed and clear numbers, I was able to hoodwink city hall out of a permit. Were there revisions? Of course there were. Think of the building dept. as a kindly teacher, if it looks like you put thought, effort and passion into the rendering they are more than happy to guide your final drawing to success.

Thank you.

Building permits are FIRST municipal, then provincial, then federal. Building permits for a "shed" would be in the municipal purview. (As an aside; I know you need a permit in Mississauga for any out building that is bigger than 10' x 10' or 100 sq ft).
It seems to me the problem is the OP doesn't know the local building code... that's why he is asking here.

the above area is commonly used limit to build the structure without permit in Ontario municipalities, however other restrictions apply such as easement, zoning, property offset, etc.

My Hamilton experience with a home repair was that if the home owner did the drawing the city would accept a simple basic drawing. If a contractor did the paperwork it needed the stamp of an engineer. A property survey was also required when the work was just a rebuild of what was already there.

My Hamilton experience with a home repair was that if the home owner did the drawing the city would accept a simple basic drawing. If a contractor did the paperwork it needed the stamp of an engineer. A property survey was also required when the work was just a rebuild of what was already there.
That's indeed true for most cases, but you can purchase already approved plans from some designated collaborators as far as I know.

Back
Top Bottom