Question about shed building. Design / permit. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question about shed building. Design / permit.

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Hey all,

So dad decided that he wants a bigger shed than what he's got now. Unfortunately the new shed requires permits and the like as it'll be about 20% over the size of what doesn't require a permit.

Any recommendations on how to go about? Do I need a designer/architect for this? Or can I whip up some CAD/Sketchup drawings and just take take of the information on my own?

Thanks!

On another note, anyone know a designer / architect that they recommend for home renos?

I believe you can do your own drawings, at least here in Mississauga you can, so long as they are done somewhat "nicely" show what your building correct measurements are, not just something scribbled on a paper napkin...

but do check with your city's building department or permit department to be sure

Last edited:
anything under 180 sft doesnt require a permit in Ontario, and anything that fall under part 9 (residential) of the building code doesnt need to be drawn up by a designer / engineer as long as it meets building code

anything under 180 sft doesnt require a permit in Ontario, and anything that fall under part 9 (residential) of the building code doesnt need to be drawn up by a designer / engineer as long as it meets building code

Building permits are FIRST municipal, then provincial, then federal. Building permits for a "shed" would be in the municipal purview. (As an aside; I know you need a permit in Mississauga for any out building that is bigger than 10' x 10' or 100 sq ft).
It seems to me the problem is the OP doesn't know the local building code... that's why he is asking here.

Just curious (I don't know, and I'm asking) ...

why can't you just built a 2nd shed next to the first one and thus have twice the space and don't need a permit since each one is smaller then X size that requires a permit ?

Pfffft. Permits. ?
Polskie, there was a thread last yearish iirc started by rockerguy that had many same questions and answers.
Don't put vinyl gutters. They will cost you an arm and a leg.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

why can't you just built a 2nd shed next to the first one and thus have twice the space and don't need a permit since each one is smaller then X size that requires a permit ?
Not sure, although I believe more than one structure will require notices to be sent out to neighbors, more permits etc etc and that's even if they consider it. But I've seen it done.

Pfffft. Permits. ?
Polskie, there was a thread last yearish iirc started by rockerguy that had many same questions and answers.

Good memory boss!
Size is 10x10 as previously pointed out. That's pretty big in my books

Normally you are only allowed one outbuilding. When I built mine in Etobicoke decades ago the limit was 10 square meters, about 108 SF. It had to be a few feet from the property line and not over a certain height.

Mine pushes the limits but if needed I could correct it with a few design modifications.

The area limit I believe doesn't count roof overhang. Can a roof overhang be big enough to shelter stuff that doesn't need to be inside?

Think UP. Most shops and storage areas run out of space because everything gets put on the floor. The upper spaces get wasted.

Think SCRAP. Do you really want to build a $2K shed to store chunks of warped lumber and a rusty bicycle you never use?

Pfffft. Permits. 

My neighbour had the attitude of pffft permits when he built his deck. He's had endless headaches with the township over it because he didn't buy a building permit. he's had to modify his deck and they're still threatening to make him take it down. I think the neighbour across from us or the people that snoop around your yard to figure how much your house is worth to charge you more taxes are to blame.

My neighbour had the attitude of pffft permits when he built his deck. He's had endless headaches with the township over it because he didn't buy a building permit. he's had to modify his deck and they're still threatening to make him take it down. I think the neighbour across from us or the people that snoop around your yard to figure how much your house is worth to charge you more taxes are to blame.
I hear that. And now they use Google maps and earth too.
I've seen both sides. Not endorsing it, but I've seen when you stay within the rules, no permit and they make you pay. And I've seen people stay within rules and have to tear it down. Poor guy behind me built a greenhouse. A little too high. A little ugly. But the guy has such a passion for it. (Maybe because his wife yells. A lot.) Well someone called and ratted him out. He had to take a foot off of it. I felt so bad for the guy. And not because he gives me figs and plums. If I ever find out who called, I'll give them a piece of my mind.
Anyhoo, it seems if mimco polak is drawing up plans, then there will be a permit pulled.
Would love to see it when complete.

Almost all muncipalities I have checked in Ontario have similar ~100 sq ft limits for sheds without permit. For typical shed/deck permits, plan, elevation and siting drawings don't need to be anything fancy, hand drawn is fine. They normally outline what they are looking for (typically plan and elevation dimensioned, footing size/depth & locations indicated, distance to property lines dimensioned and location of existing structures on site plan.)

Building permits are FIRST municipal, then provincial, then federal. Building permits for a "shed" would be in the municipal purview. (As an aside; I know you need a permit in Mississauga for any out building that is bigger than 10' x 10' or 100 sq ft).
It seems to me the problem is the OP doesn't know the local building code... that's why he is asking here.

Permits are issued by municipalities, but the code they follow is the Ontario building code, as there is no such thing as the Mississauga building code 2016 edition... I was wrong about the 180sft tho, its actually 108 sft (had all the right numbers, just in the wrong order)

And that's why you go to the big box store, buy their 10x10 shed of your choice, be at least a half meter from any property line, build your base, erect your bought shed, and fill it up with your stuff, all without permits, drawings, you only need a whole day perhaps a 2nd day, a buddy or 2 and a few beers.....

Permits are issued by municipalities, but the code they follow is the Ontario building code, as there is no such thing as the Mississauga building code 2016 edition... I was wrong about the 180sft tho, its actually 108 sft (had all the right numbers, just in the wrong order)

There is no Mississauga Building Code, but there are Mississauga zoning bylaws that restrict the number, kind, size, and location of accessory structures that may (and in certain cases cannot) be built on a given property.

If going the permit route build as big as you need. 100 sq ft is nothing for a out building.

Typically the municipality websites provide some insight into the requirements, so you are not shooting in the dark. I recommend cooperating with them and you should have a good overall experience. All the horror stories I hear are related to people thinking they know better.

reading comprehension people!! (op) he knows the size he wants will require a permit.

you can draw our own, you can get plans at a Rona, if your into permits you'll require code compliant footings, or go the 'pole barn route' , the pole barn is legal and about half the cost of a single car garage if you want to pour a slab floor. There are height restrictions in most municipalities. Your build dept. at town hall can answer all questions and would rather see you be compliant and do it right. They aren't there to screw you.

You can do the 'put it up and hope for the best route' which always COSTS MORE. There is always a retired turd in the neighborhood that wanks off while calling the bylaw officers. Don't become his fantasy.

reading comprehension people!! (op) he knows the size he wants will require a permit.

you can draw our own, you can get plans at a Rona, if your into permits you'll require code compliant footings, or go the 'pole barn route' , the pole barn is legal and about half the cost of a single car garage if you want to pour a slab floor. There are height restrictions in most municipalities. Your build dept. at town hall can answer all questions and would rather see you be compliant and do it right. They aren't there to screw you.

You can do the 'put it up and hope for the best route' which always COSTS MORE. There is always a retired turd in the neighborhood that wanks off while calling the bylaw officers. Don't become his fantasy.
I think that was my fault with my " permits? FTW" post ?

If permits are required, make sure they are obtained. The last thing anyone wants to deal with is the government after a nosy neigbhour tips off someone at city hall

Back
Top Bottom