Looking for mature sportbike riders in markham/stouffville/whitby etc area | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for mature sportbike riders in markham/stouffville/whitby etc area

Hey, I usually ride with a small group and in a fashion you're referring to. We're not inexperienced and know when and where to pick our spots. I prefer to ride early on the weekends and be back home before the major traffic builds up. In north Oshawa on a Ducati monster 1100evo.

Ok great. Ill send you a PM with my cell phone. Give me a text in advance of a ride if possible and id love to come out.

For me bikes (whether they be human powered or mechanically powered) are social devices. Ive trained solo enough in my life on two wheels..

Thx for all the replies

I took the Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic Level 1 offered through Sharp Riding courses. Lee Parks designed the program, and it's really taking off in the US, it's even the official safety course now in a couple states. He takes principles from the track and adapts them to keeping smooth and safe on the road. Learned SO FREAKIN MUCH. Never did a track day, I found the idea a little intimidating up until recently, and I'm definitely not mechanically inclined as far as track prepping my own bike (both of those have changed, but now I'm in a financial rut lol).

So that's another option too. All kinds of bikes show up, from cruisers to massive sport touring bikes to supersports, etc, etc.

Also, I'm discouraged at the people recommending you to stay clear of group rides. I think that's nonsense. Riding on your own can more easily result in mistakes, bad habits, etc, because, if you're like me and have never ridden before your first bike, you have no idea what you're supposed to learn lol.

The advice, imo, should be that riding in large groups and/or groups of riders who don't know is what can get dangerous.

I recommend meeting 10min or so before the ride, and going over the hand signals and expected riding behaviours that safe groups follow, getting everyone on the same page, determine your lead and sweep and the rest of your order, etc. There is a good thread somewhere on this forum that has detailed instructions for group rides taken from some safety course or something. You said as the new rider you'd fall back... but a lot of guidelines recommend the lead bike be the slowest/newest rider lol. Once the group gets to know each other, and the route is known, the slow bikes can fall to the back and catch up at intersections (if the group is making a turn) or stop signs. You don't want a new rider at the back in case s/he runs into problems, and no one is there to help.

Once you've been riding for a couple years you'll grow wary of several warning signs, the ones you put up in here, that have people "misinterpreting" your post.

1 - comparing racing cars to riding a bike.
2 - comparing bicycles to motorcycles.
----> You can be a world class pianist, doesn't mean you can play a guitar. They're not the same, don't fool yourself into thinking you will have the skills you need on a motorcycle carry over from other types of vehicles.
3 - Assuming you will "catch on quickly". You need to learn what to watch for, how to react, when to react, etc. The only way to "catch on" to those things is by fudging up, which can be fatal as we all know. So experienced riders (and I don't mean some blowhard who's been riding for 10 years but who's never invested the time in a course, trackdays, books, spent time with instructors or other riders who have done those things and then thinks he knows it all because he's comfortable in his bad habits) or courses, track days, etc are where you really learn how to ride, and not just be comfortable tugging on the throttle.

I live North West of Toronto, near Hillsburgh, and know a lot of fun roads in this area quite well. I also like riding a whole heck of a lot and frequently ride across the city for group rides or to ride with friends. Sounds like you'd be the kind of guy I could ride with, so count me in.

I can see it from both sides. A completely green or extremely low experience (ie, I've ridden around town but barely know where all the buttons and controls are on my bike by feel yet) rider in a group is probably not a great idea. You need to spend some time alone, or with one other person at most learning and gaining experience and becoming proficient before considering a group experience. If you're still finding the boundaries of your bike, still struggling with gears, still aren't 110% confident doing maximum braking maneuvers, or are extremely timid, you're not going to make the riding experience much fun for most others in the group. Do you really want to be that person?

Get a thousand K or under your belt before considering it, IMHO.

My wife is brand new to riding this year and I'm not going to entertain any participation in group riding situations (aside from just her and I) until she shows good proficiency and skill. I fully anticipate that'll take at least 1K (probably more) on the odometer (as well as the MSC she's taking in April) before she'll be ready for it. I don't want her to be dragging anyone back or be a safety risk, nor do I want her feel like she has to ride beyond her skill in an effort to avoid such. Our first group ride will be something short and if she's not comfortable we'll bug out and get some more practice.

I know some roads and can take it easy once in a while - Pm once the weather gets better and I'll join.

Awesome responses.. I appreciate them all. I can see where I have given the wrong impression. I took the MSC last summer at Durham and truly enjoyed it. I'm definitely looking for experienced riders to give me tips etc and will not show up for a group ride until I'm certain I'm ready. My brother in law is a seasoned rider with impressive skills. I intend to go out with him for a bit and get his endorsement before any large group rides. I'll drag him out as well in the end :)

Let's hope this snow melts and stays away!

Hehe It sounds like you have the right attitude with perhaps not the right first post LOL

Look into the advanced riding courses mentioned earlier, you will not have more fun on a bike and you will not learn more in one day. Any of those mentioned will do, take your pick.

Once it gets closer to riding season (won't be long) the rides and hookups section on this forum should wake up.

Then it's a matter of finding other riding companions who match your style, and for that, you can either talk to other people or just give it a go and see what happens. If you don't like the way someone else is leading a ride, just tell them at a stop, and go a different direction. (Don't just leave without telling anyone ... it tends to lead to search parties and a lot of wasted time and unhappiness all around.)

I am honestly looking for some other guys on sportsbikes who are mature enough to know how to have a nice ride and not have a pissing contest.
The thing is, the mature experienced riders you're looking for tend to stay clear of riding with newbie's who get a SS and say things like "I'm looking for spirited rides and although I'm new I'll pick it up quick".

Fair enough i think we've established my intro could have been better phrased. Looks like i have some solid guys who are interested in riding.. Looking forward to meeting those of you this summer.

In the Rides/Hookups sub-forum there is also the "Still In The Game Rides" thread which usually meet in the Stouffville area on many Sunday's throughout the season. Good guys, quick pace and nice roads.

DemonPig's suggestion is another good one with no shortage of rides and people to ride with. And as mentioned, there will be rides posted up in this subforum every week of different places to go and people to ride with.

Usually I post up a few rides each season for some spirited, but sensible rides up through the Muskoka area and Algonquin area once most of the sand has washed off the roads. As long as you ride nice, you are welcome to join. They are long rides, so not for everyone, but we cover a lot of twisty ground.

Ok thanks very much, ill keep my eyes on the forum.

10 years ago mature + sportbike riders were like unicorns.
Last couple of gtam rides i have been on have been excellent.

Rule of thumb if you see a go pro camera move on to another ride.

Good point... Ill keep my eyes open.

Be warned, if you're a new rider stay away from "spirited" rides on the forum.

Im beginning to think my idea of spirited is far less intense than that of the forum. Ill take it easy... Thx for the heads up.

Some people's idea of "spirited" involves going 200 plus km/h on straightaways (and often going at a snail's pace in corners).

Others involve going not necessarily all that much above posted limits, but not slowing down for corners, but attempting to do them correctly. (I try to be in this category on the street and it sounds like this is where you want to be)

Others are as fast as possible everywhere all the time. (I try to do this on the track, but I have a slow bike)

And everywhere in between.

Watch out for the ones that specify a minimum bike size. I think you can guess what that means. (I have plenty of fun on a cbr125)

Yes i am definitely aiming for the second category. :) i can't afford insurance on this bike with a speeding ticket on my record haha.

wow, dude's post is pretty simple...why's it getting torn to pieces.

I'm in when the weather warms up...hoover and 9 area.

Awesome.. Im likely less than a km away... Live near the optometrist on main street.

Considering an early morning ride up to jacksons point from Stouffville saturday. Not looking for a race oriented ride but hope to have a fun outting. Let me know.. Good chance to get to know one another. Any places for coffee up that way?

8:30-9am departure and back by lunch.

Back
Top Bottom