Looking for mature sportbike riders in markham/stouffville/whitby etc area | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for mature sportbike riders in markham/stouffville/whitby etc area

Clamb

Hey guys new to the forum and looking for some mature riders who want to have some good times without attracting the wrong attention (ie mature enough to choose the right time and place). Shoot mePM if youre interested. Im new to riding but will pick it up quick.

Looking for riders interested in early morning departures for half day rides up to the good roads ;)

Just FYI and this is based on many years of experience ... New riders tend to get in trouble in group settings, and most experienced riders (myself included) don't want to be anywhere near when it happens.

Your best bet to gain that experience that you so desperately need ... is to take an advanced riding course at a track. www.racer5.ca is a good choice. The other good local choice is http://www.fastridingschool.com/index3.html

Get some miles under your belt before you go out with a group of experienced riders. Most experienced riders don't want a noobie behind them, nor putting along in front of them. Find a friend who really knows how to ride and ask him/her to teach you some stuff. Dont ever try to keep up with someone faster, that's how you get hurt.

Go to a track course like Brian said. Racer5.

Also. Starting on a 600 SS... learning curve will be a bit steeper than starting on a more controllable machine.

Ride safe, keep the rubber side down.

Leaning curve on a 600ss is a LOT steeper.

I went from a ninja 250 to a sv650 and had a scare when the horse bucked the first time I rode it.

Fair comments. I come from a racing road bikes (and mountain bikes) in close proximity. Also had some pretty quick cars. While I am new to the sport im sure ill be up to speed in a reasonable time period. Obviously not looking to race on my group rides... Likely ever. Spirited riding of course but im not looking for pissing contests. Ill hang off the back for the first bit.

Just FYI and this is based on many years of experience ... New riders tend to get in trouble in group settings, and most experienced riders (myself included) don't want to be anywhere near when it happens.

Your best bet to gain that experience that you so desperately need ... is to take an advanced riding course at a track. www.racer5.ca is a good choice. The other good local choice is http://www.fastridingschool.com/index3.html

Ill definitely look into this.

I think my posts are being taken out of context. I have a wife who works in one of the two main trauma hospitals here in toronto so i am aware of the consequences.

I was also at the road side helping a fallen/struck rider who ultimately died on route to the hospital. Im not looking to be a statistic and also not looking for a group ride on the autobahn.

Just looking to find a few local sportsbike riders to explore our area with and grow as riders. I know my limits and being 37 I like to think I have the intelligence to back out of a ride that i realize is over my head or ability level.

Having said that if you're interested in having a small group ride (2 to 4 riders) and dont mind sharing some tips with a newer rider send me a PM and we can arrange something.

Last edited:
I think my posts are being taken out of context

This can be a hard forum to be a newbie on, trust me. Don't take it all personally, but there's lots of good advice to be had from the experienced guys even if it's not always issued in the most tactful fashion. ;)

I think where some might be drawing their concern was the statement in your original post to the effect "have some good times without attracting the wrong attention (ie mature enough to choose the right time and place)", as well as having an RR as your first ever bike. How much is your insurance, BTW? Interesting to compare it to the 16-20-somethings around here that unknowingly buy supersports for their first bikes only to find out that they couldn't make enough in a year to insure them after the fact.

:) fair enough. Yah i called the insurance company prior to buying haha. My rate is 1800 a year. But again im 37 with a perfect driving record.

I am honestly looking for some other guys on sportsbikes who are mature enough to know how to have a nice ride and not have a pissing contest. Im an all in type of personality and currently my mission is to learn as much about riding as possible. If you meet me and decide for some reason you dont want me coming along for the ride thats fair but im pretty confident that won't be the result.

For clarity im not looking for a ride up the 400 darting inbetween cars and generally riding on the edge. Im more looking for a ride up to twisty quiet country roads and really learning how the bike handles at moderate speeds and good following distance.

Great thanks guys... Demon Ill join up. Hammer if youd like to send me your cell via PM ill get in touch once the weather improves.

OP you sound like you have a reasonable grasp on things. As a former copper I will just say that I have been to more than a few scenes where the rider, :thought" they were riding within their ability. Problem is as a new rider, normally by the time you realize you have exceed those abilities it is too late, and things go VERY bad VERY quickly, as I am sure your wife has told you.

Take the advice of others, avoid "group" rides for some time, ride with one or two others, to begin with. ALWAYS remember, there is nothing wrong with falling back a bit, it sure as heck beats the alternative. Also even if you have the skills, in a "group" setting you can't possibly know the abilities of others and if someone in front of you messes up they often take you along for the "ride".

You will see many seasoned riders, (I am entering my 35th season this year), avoid group rides. I ride a cruiser and really dislike even slower cruiser group rides. Too much of a risk of some ******, doing something stupid. I will ride with 3 - 5 other folks I now well and know their skill level, (most MUCH more skilled than I). Looking forward this season to maybe even meeting up with the "purple monster" Joe Bass...lol Just not sure I can handle all the "ice cream stops"..lmao

Thanks for the advice. I am actually not looking for a large group ride. Maybe 1 to 3 guys who want to get to know another and develop the trust you speak of.

Thanks again for the advice.

You will see many seasoned riders, (I am entering my 35th season this year), avoid group rides....

... And you will also see many seasoned riders participating in them. There's no golden rule. Some people like solo rides, some small groups, some large groups, some don't care.

What I will agree with is that one has to find like minded people.

Back
Top Bottom