The $100 Ninja | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The $100 Ninja

I was wondering about that (the coolant reservoir). Does it really need to be at the high point? I looked it up and there's conflicting advice on the Kawi forums. I've seen several builds where guys strap a bottle to the frame, but it looks lower than the other rad hoses.

A good question that I don't really know the answer to, I've never done such a thing myself. It gets moved around a lot on track bikes though, you just need to get the attention of all the track folk on here

A good question that I don't really know the answer to, I've never done such a thing myself. It gets moved around a lot on track bikes though, you just need to get the attention of all the track folk on here
Like this?>>>> @dricked @zx600 @kneedragger88

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Lol @Joe Bass you're too funny brother. :)

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Updated mockup - my Photoshop skills are pretty rough, but you get the idea. I'll cut and tuck the rad hoses as much as I can.

4xi9JKt.jpg

Personally I think it needs more size at the back. The tank and handlebars look disproportionate.

Keep up the good work, I like this project. Did you check compression yet?

Did you check compression yet?

No. I'll go see the bike this week and do just that. Hopefully get it to start and ride around the self-storage lot.

Re: proportions I hear ya, but I'm trying to go for a rat-rod type of sport bobber look. The mockup is missing a taillight too, so there'll be a bit more stuff at the rear.

Last edited:
Updated mockup - my Photoshop skills are pretty rough, but you get the idea. I'll cut and tuck the rad hoses as much as I can.

4xi9JKt.jpg

You're doing it all wrong. Use the stock seat but cut to single seat. Retain the drivers portion. This will integrate nicely with the tank. Try to gut as much foof from the subframe as possible for that see thru look. Built a shallow tray, powder coated black of course, to hold some important electrical bits. Then mount a soft tail pack in black on that. This will give the bike a purposeful look and be functional. No high flying absurdly rearward top box for this build. Find some bar clamps and cobble a diy tube handlebar mount to the top triple clamp. Use a streetfighter bar like Ducati Monster or Street Triple. Nice and low but not stupid low. Like I said, you're doing it all wrong. Keep up the good work.
To add, use a tank bag as well. That's how I run a couple of my bikes, tailpack hard up to the single seat and large tank bag with low bars. It's the business. You really look like you're on a mission when you're out and about. People have no idea you're just a sad lonely person scouting coffee shops for company.

Last edited:
lololol

I like the idea of the tailpack to cover the subframe beyond the solo seat. That subframe is really long though.

ILk9vvg.jpg

ZXDSUbframe1.jpg

Not much of an update, but... she lives! Brian P saves the day once again by dropping knowledge all over my newbie ass. I fixed the no-start problem by plugging in a headlight bulb (!) She ran rough at first, but fresh gas eventually filled the carb bowls and I was able to take her for a quick spin around the self-storage lot, on a severely underinflated front tire and mostly non-functioning brakes. All 3 rotors are below the minimum thickness spec - Ima have to source some lightly used ones.

That Kerker system sounds hella mean!

[video=youtube;KwGKF3Pgu0A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwGKF3Pgu0A[/video]

Oh, couldn't do a compression test 'cause I don't have a 10mm adapter for my tester. Drat. eBay time.

I'm warming up to the idea of keeping the stock seat and throwing some saddlebags over the tail. Once I clean up the frame, tuck in the electronics & rad hoses and replace the lights with more classic ones, I think it'll look good. Ish.

pLnfmNX.jpg

Anyone else having trouble playing the vids?

Anyone else having trouble playing the vids?

How old is your computer/phone? My iPhone 6S shoots at 60fps by default, that might be taxing for older hardware.

Galaxy s4
I'll try on the pc

Edit: weird. It plays now.
Glad to see her running!

Last edited:
How old is your computer/phone? My iPhone 6S shoots at 60fps by default, that might be taxing for older hardware.
Sorry had to reply again
Just made myself chuckle when I realized that your phone is worth almost 10x what you paid for your bike! Lol!

Damn. I still love your fj. It's definitely the nicest I've seen in many years. I remember when they came out. I was like 12ish when yours hit the showroom.
Back to business, glad to see you got it running. Kudos to Brian P! I don't know him, but he's still one of the smartest people I know.lol

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Thanks man - the FJ's a good city bike, so narrow and nimble. I had to replace just about every cosmetic bit on it - its previous owner wouldn't recognize it today. Only the fairing is original to the bike, and I'm still looking for a cleaner one.

Back
Top Bottom