Stealth camping, shoreline. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stealth camping, shoreline.

beach " trespassing " is a legitimate concern, the tiny beaches area / balm beach north of Wasaga does indeed have a turf war going on with cottagers running fences down to the water line staking out their claim.
When we had a place up the peninsula just south of Tobermory, we had lots of kayaks and boats roll onto the beach to picnic. Who actually 'owns' the shore line is an interesting discussion. We were on the Huron side so not so bad, friends on the Georgian side had issues every weekend, beach divers and tourists.
The few times we have done a stealth camp, we get in , don't make a mess and get out early. I think the secret is the stealth part.

My buddies and I do a pile of stealth camping every year. All over the place too. Send me a message if you're interested in some tips.

Sure if it's not too surreal, I don't want any trouble.

beach " trespassing " is a legitimate concern, the tiny beaches area / balm beach north of Wasaga does indeed have a turf war going on with cottagers running fences down to the water line staking out their claim.
When we had a place up the peninsula just south of Tobermory, we had lots of kayaks and boats roll onto the beach to picnic. Who actually 'owns' the shore line is an interesting discussion. We were on the Huron side so not so bad, friends on the Georgian side had issues every weekend, beach divers and tourists.
The few times we have done a stealth camp, we get in , don't make a mess and get out early. I think the secret is the stealth part.

The Tiny beaches were never a problem a generation ago but Wasaga gets so crowded now that people look for alternates. Since the Tiny beaches are private there are no facilities and the cottagers got sick of people peeing in their yards and leaving garbage. You can't find a parking spot within a mile of the beach and if you do hike in you can't walk on dry beach as it is private to the water's edge. I don't blame the cottagers. It's not their job to provide parkland to the taxpayers.

I don't think the owners of most private property have a problem with people "stealth camping" overnight on their property.
What they do have a problem with is the mess such people leave behind.
Haul out your trash and dig a hole to poop in, then fill it back in come morning.

Sorry but I don't poop, I'm from royal lineage!

But seriously, at one time in the 50s you could camp just about anywhere and people would leave you alone. My parents, new immigrants from Europe went cross-border shopping to Buffalo in the 50s and took their tent, and just put it down on the outskirts of Buffalo. They told me that one time a patrolmen pulled over and checked on them. When they said they were from Canada, he started a story about a serial killer being on the loose in the area; I guess for a laugh and to scare them into packing up. But he never ordered them to leave, since it was not illegal to be there. Didn't faze my father though, who served in WWII (other side) and saw what hell is like up close.

Dry your eyes mate, so far you've cheated death. That's a partial victory in my books.

Man I'm 27 and I have no interesting life experiences :sad8:

Hurry up, you have about 13 years until your body starts to fall apart at age 40.

There are quite a few countries where beaches are public property even where there are properties on the shoreline but unfortunately these are saltwater beaches not freshwater. I remember I stayed at a hotel in El Salvador where the hotel owners had tried to cordon off the beach area for the guests and used armed guards to keep the riff raff out....some locals/neighbours hired a plane and dropped leaflets over the beach announcing that this was illegal.

X2 above. Throughout much of the Caribbean the actual beach front area at all the resorts is indeed public property – on lots of cruises we have found our ways to many of the big resorts during port days (especially ports we've been to many times) and have enjoyed their beaches at absolutely no cost. We'll typically spend a bit of money there, by a few drinks and maybe lunch or something (assuming it's not an all inclusive where that's even possible), but aside from that they can't prevent you from using the beach and swimming.

Obviously using their facilities or equipment (boats, chairs, etc) isn't allowed, but we just bring towels off the ship and have a blast.

Man I'm 27 and I have no interesting life experiences :sad8:

True - if you consider war an interesting life experience. Just ask the troops returning from the MidEast? But I would say one is much more thankful and engaged in life after surviving such an experience (and provided they can overcome PTSD).

We stealth camp almost exclusively although we usually refer to it as vagrant or rough camping, however we almost never really camp on shorelines. Vagrant camping is about camping where others are not and people like to hang and even build cottages along the shore.....

Back
Top Bottom