Waterproof HD Camera's | GTAMotorcycle.com

Waterproof HD Camera's

Fr33On2Wh33ls

Besides Go Pro,

What is everyone using for HD video recording?

I would assume most people are using helmet mounted cameras as opposed to bike mounted to reduce vibration and get clearer video but I really want something that can record whilst having continuous power and be waterproof. Does this limit me to bike mounted cameras?

I need something that I can set and forget for 10hrs of riding to record video (charge while recording a must) and a wired microphone ability would be really nice. Waterproof is a must have also.

Any suggestions? Anyone out there tried mivue m350?

Thanks in advance!

I've got 3 Contours which are narrow aerodynamic helmet cams. Very pleased with their performance, and even had one which was badly mounted fly off at 60 kph, and still works. Purchased mainly for quality price and style, which is unlike the Parrot-perched GoPro (my only beef with that brand).

http://ca.contour.com/

Well not sure what memory card you plan on using but your not going to find a single card that will be able to record "10 hours" of HD quality video. As for bike mounted, yes you will get some vibration but if you use a RAM mount it is greatly reduced. Just be aware that helmet mounted cameras "can" result in a ticket and walking home. See the legal forum for more, but basically it renders your helmet uncertified and you can't ride with it. Yes many many riders still mount their cameras there and the chance of getting nailed is pretty small just need to be aware.

Not sure if a contour can be "hardwired" You can get a hard wire waterproof connector for a GoPro, (see group buys sub forum). Not cheap option though. Not sure you would want to run it to your helmet.

Besides Go Pro,

What is everyone using for HD video recording?

I would assume most people are using helmet mounted cameras as opposed to bike mounted to reduce vibration and get clearer video but I really want something that can record whilst having continuous power and be waterproof. Does this limit me to bike mounted cameras?

I need something that I can set and forget for 10hrs of riding to record video (charge while recording a must) and a wired microphone ability would be really nice. Waterproof is a must have also.

Any suggestions? Anyone out there tried mivue m350?

Thanks in advance!

Just be aware that helmet mounted cameras "can" result in a ticket and walking home. See the legal forum for more, but basically it renders your helmet uncertified and you can't ride with it. Yes many many riders still mount their cameras there and the chance of getting nailed is pretty small just need to be aware.

Couldn't you just remove the camera from the helmet and be on your way? Most are held on by clamps or suction cups no?

I've got 3 Contours which are narrow aerodynamic helmet cams. Very pleased with their performance, and even had one which was badly mounted fly off at 60 kph, and still works. Purchased mainly for quality price and style, which is unlike the Parrot-perched GoPro (my only beef with that brand).

http://ca.contour.com/
i bought a contour with GPS when the company went belly up and the cameras were very cheap, and so did a buddy of mine.
he got 2 and they work perfect, mine however is the worst purchase i have made in my life.
sure i saved a couple bucks but it would dump the video files, hard to get it to charge, glitches like crazy. i emailed the company multiple times. even about their online software that gave it a GPS overlay, they closed access to that and didnt offer a personal version of it but sent me a link to buy the software for about $100 USD.

last year i ponied up and got a GP4 Black, couldnt be happier...although with all the mounts, spare batteries, remote and chargers im probably about a grand into it.
i bought it for my cabot trail trip, i wasnt going to risk loosing vids and pics of a awesome ride to a crappy unreliable cam.

ive heard the SJ5000 is suppose to be a good $50 cam, i may buy it to use as a different angle and if it falls off or breaks i wont really care.

i bought a contour with GPS when the company went belly up and the cameras were very cheap, and so did a buddy of mine.
he got 2 and they work perfect, mine however is the worst purchase i have made in my life.
sure i saved a couple bucks but it would dump the video files, hard to get it to charge, glitches like crazy. i emailed the company multiple times. even about their online software that gave it a GPS overlay, they closed access to that and didnt offer a personal version of it but sent me a link to buy the software for about $100 USD.

last year i ponied up and got a GP4 Black, couldnt be happier...although with all the mounts, spare batteries, remote and chargers im probably about a grand into it.
i bought it for my cabot trail trip, i wasnt going to risk loosing vids and pics of a awesome ride to a crappy unreliable cam.

ive heard the SJ5000 is suppose to be a good $50 cam, i may buy it to use as a different angle and if it falls off or breaks i wont really care.
if youre looking at the SJ, theres also the Xiaomi Yi thats cheap and slightly better quality.

Most action cams are waterproof. I bought a Polaroid cam because I don't do much recording while riding. I bought it to my trip to the Caribbean & while snorkeling on the reefs I can't stop using it. Went down to a depth of 25ft & still no sign of leaking. I used all the buttons above water though

Couldn't you just remove the camera from the helmet and be on your way? Most are held on by clamps or suction cups no?

Many people prefer to use crazy glue to secure their cameras, (afraid it will blow off). I guess it would depend upon the officer, it would be his discretion

I got this one for 129.99 from henry's.

http://www.henrys.com/91350-SAFARI-HIGH-DEFINITION-POV-CAMERA-KIT-1080P.aspx#

Full hd, waterproof, LCD screen, removable battery, 32gb card max, great picture and wide lens, comes with a TON of mounting accessories compatible with go pro, real 3M VHB mounting stickies.

The ONLY thing I wish it had was an external mic port. Other than that is like a 30$ gopro with 100$ in mounting accessories

Last edited:
if youre looking at the SJ, theres also the Xiaomi Yi thats cheap and slightly better quality.
i think that the SJ works with gopro mounts but the Xiaomi Yi is a tripod screw in mount?

i was reading into both of them last year. ill see what happens, i may order 1.

i think that the SJ works with gopro mounts but the Xiaomi Yi is a tripod screw in mount?

i was reading into both of them last year. ill see what happens, i may order 1.

let us know which one you bought and why...also let us know if it works properly

Thanks to everyone for their input! It really helped give me the information I needed.

Well not sure what memory card you plan on using but your not going to find a single card that will be able to record "10 hours" of HD quality video. As for bike mounted, yes you will get some vibration but if you use a RAM mount it is greatly reduced. Just be aware that helmet mounted cameras "can" result in a ticket and walking home. See the legal forum for more, but basically it renders your helmet uncertified and you can't ride with it. Yes many many riders still mount their cameras there and the chance of getting nailed is pretty small just need to be aware.

Not sure if a contour can be "hardwired" You can get a hard wire waterproof connector for a GoPro, (see group buys sub forum). Not cheap option though. Not sure you would want to run it to your helmet.

Hedo2002, Thanks for this informative reply. I plan on buying 3x 64gb micro sd cards and switching them out as needed. I had absolutely no idea about the helmet camera legal implications and I will have to research further before I decide on mounting locations. For the purpose of hardwiring for continuos recording, bike mounted seems less complicated and safer. I really like the idea of having the camera follow my head movements to see texting drivers, license plates of maniacs, to prove looking both ways etc, but I am not willing to risk demerit points for it. I have a ram mount for my cell phone and love it and that is a good suggestion I will have to look at what ram mounts are available and compatible with the camera I choose.

Check this out, normally it's around $300us, looks like seller has good rating, sold many of them, and price is killer.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drift-Innov...224305?hash=item20d76d6571:g:SqoAAOSwFNZW0IMb

This is one of the higher end camera's on the market. I have watched numerous reviews on this camera and it appealed to me with all the features I was looking for, except the retail price tag. I am really grateful for you posting this link! I checked out the sellers rating and the last 500 items he sold all had positive reviews.

-D-

I did purchase the exact item from the link above (YIPEE!) and will let everyone know my experiences with this seller and the camera once I get it! It came to $125 with the exchange rate and now I will just have to wait for the customs charge before I know the total I am in for with this.

I'm wondering if that camera can be used as a motorcycle "dash cam".
Would be nice if it could record in loop mode and stay plugged in or hardwired.
Anyone know if these features are on this camera?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I'm wondering if that camera can be used as a motorcycle "dash cam".
Would be nice if it could record in loop mode and stay plugged in or hardwired.
Anyone know if these features are on this camera?

Car DVR Mode
The camera turns on when power is supplied via an USB port and records footage in a continuous loop style.

I did purchase the exact item from the link above (YIPEE!) and will let everyone know my experiences with this seller and the camera once I get it! It came to $125 with the exchange rate and now I will just have to wait for the customs charge before I know the total I am in for with this.

Just be patient, usually it's around 1month wait time to get stuff from China.
This is great review on the camera.
[video=youtube;7_-MBcIPGzA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_-MBcIPGzA[/video]

Car DVR Mode
The camera turns on when power is supplied via an USB port and records footage in a continuous loop style.
Thanks I didn't see that info on the description.
Think I'll pick one up and stash it behind the front fairing and hope not to have to use it as a dash cam.

I see concerns about the lens scratching.
What if you put a piece of plastic on the lens, a piece from a phone screen protector (anything that will stay clear).

Back
Top Bottom