run don't walk - bike for sale on gta | GTAMotorcycle.com

run don't walk - bike for sale on gta

boyoboy

Brand new 2011 ninja 250, $2000
Here's the story. Person buys new bike for son as 19th B-day gift back in 2011. Son almost makes it around the block. Bike tips over as turning left into driveway at 2 mph. Cracks nose fairing, bends shift lever. Dad puts it in back of garage for 3.5 years. Finally brought in here for repairs end of Feb 2015. Gets brand new fairing from Kawasaki, shift lever, new battery (old one toast), carbs cleaned with new pilot jets (old ones plugged), oil/filter changed (in case of condensation). Owner notified 01 April 2015 (and many times after) bike ready for pickup. Bike still here. I have done all the paperwork and have the "green light" to sell it. Have not done a service Ontario lien search but would not surprise me if there is one. It's the only reason I can think of to abandon a new bike. It only has 10 km on it!!!!!! A perfect parts/track bike, everything is new! Tires still have the nibs on them. Or move a VIN tag from another (damaged) bike but I can not condone that...........................!!! BTW, it's the ebony black. Will try to check my PMs daily.

this "deal" is for sale here on gta. i first saw this bike for sale on kijiji. i no longer see the bike on kijiji and it appears to have been removed. here are my pm's with the seller:

edit
Re: 250
Quote Originally Posted by boyoboy
why don't you get the UVIP?

who gave the green light to sell it, and do you have the paperwork?

regards hugh
I have considered getting a UVIP. But it only serves the purpose of current owner and liens. If I am to sell with legit ownership I will need a second UVIP (another $20) and jump through a couple more hoops. Having said that I am close but those couple hoops will cost quite a bit more than $20. I must consider what point is too much. Hence the "parts bike" or "track bike".

I have ALL the paperwork. The "green light" has come from multiple police officers, MTO, service ontario, the local justice of peace, and a lawyer. Slip over to service ontario site and peruse the mechanics liens and storage act. Give yourself lots of time. I am 100000% within my rights to sell this bike!!! But currently in the aforementioned parts bike or track bike mode. A friend has put me on to his friend who has access to UDCA. I am exploring that avenue now.

cheers AJ

Quote Originally Posted by b1uldh84

so you have a mechanics lien on the bike? may i have the contact info for your lawyer?

Last edited:
the seller has not answered my request for his lawyers contact info.

he has stated he has "all the paperwork" but not the ownership. still don't know what paperwork he has?
i don't believe him and think he has no legal authorization to sell the bike. should this for sale ad be up on gta?

I feel for the guy and his problem(s) with the bike, but it seems to me he is trying to drop his problems into someone else's hands.

for $2000 and only 11kms on it - would make a great brand new track bike. but fear it could all come back later in a nightmarish scenario.

edit: and dang, elka canada sells a ninja 250 shock for an amazing $499 cdn

Last edited:
Yeah unless those "green lights" are in writing they are about as useful as a 4" X 4" sheet of toilet paper..lol Besides who asks, (unless they are personal friends) a "local justice of the peace" if they can legally sell this bike. He said one of the green lights was from "a lawyer" then he should be more than willing to give up that lawyers contact info so you can confirm with the lawyer, under what authority this bike can be sold, (other than the Mechanics Lien Act, which he doesn't seem interested in pursuing). Just because he "may" meet the conditions of having a lien placed on the bike until he does, he would have no authority to dispose of the bike. Also it is UCDA, not UDCA. Not sure what "route" he would pursue in that regards a registered dealer wouldn't touch this bike with a 100 foot pole...lol

If this person has done legitimate mechanical work on the bike, (makes himself sound like he is a mechanic, and the bike was dropped at a shop), then he would know the ONLY possible way for him to sell the bike legit is with a Mechanics Lien on it. Sure it would cost him some cash, But if the bike is as described one would think he could recover any costs, by going legit.

Your initial assessment to "run not walk" seems appropriate. Even if someone bought it as a track bike it could still bite them, (VIN gets ran by cops during traffic stop on trailer going to/coming from track day), etc etc etc.

Brand new 2011 ninja 250, $2000
Here's the story. Person buys new bike for son as 19th B-day gift back in 2011. Son almost makes it around the block. Bike tips over as turning left into driveway at 2 mph. Cracks nose fairing, bends shift lever. Dad puts it in back of garage for 3.5 years. Finally brought in here for repairs end of Feb 2015. Gets brand new fairing from Kawasaki, shift lever, new battery (old one toast), carbs cleaned with new pilot jets (old ones plugged), oil/filter changed (in case of condensation). Owner notified 01 April 2015 (and many times after) bike ready for pickup. Bike still here. I have done all the paperwork and have the "green light" to sell it. Have not done a service Ontario lien search but would not surprise me if there is one. It's the only reason I can think of to abandon a new bike. It only has 10 km on it!!!!!! A perfect parts/track bike, everything is new! Tires still have the nibs on them. Or move a VIN tag from another (damaged) bike but I can not condone that...........................!!! BTW, it's the ebony black. Will try to check my PMs daily.

this "deal" is for sale here on gta. i first saw this bike for sale on kijiji. i no longer see the bike on kijiji and it appears to have been removed. here are my pm's with the seller:

edit
Re: 250

who gave the green light to sell it, and do you have the paperwork?

regards hugh
I have considered getting a UVIP. But it only serves the purpose of current owner and liens. If I am to sell with legit ownership I will need a second UVIP (another $20) and jump through a couple more hoops. Having said that I am close but those couple hoops will cost quite a bit more than $20. I must consider what point is too much. Hence the "parts bike" or "track bike".

I have ALL the paperwork. The "green light" has come from multiple police officers, MTO, service ontario, the local justice of peace, and a lawyer. Slip over to service ontario site and peruse the mechanics liens and storage act. Give yourself lots of time. I am 100000% within my rights to sell this bike!!! But currently in the aforementioned parts bike or track bike mode. A friend has put me on to his friend who has access to UDCA. I am exploring that avenue now.

cheers AJ

Quote Originally Posted by b1uldh84

so you have a mechanics lien on the bike? may i have the contact info for your lawyer?

Last edited:
Some of you need to read this; https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90r25. Maybe twice. Yes, we have a mechanics lien on this bike. We can sell it because we have fulfilled our obligation under the law. Selling as parts or track bike is easiest. No chasing ownership. Lets assume someone buys for track. What they have done is purchased our lien. Now call service Ontario, have $8 ready, and place your lien against this bike. You are now the possessory lien holder. That means registered owner, cops running the VIN at the track, or any previously filed lien holder CAN NOT take this bike from you. PERIOD. If needed, read this again; https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90r25

Some of you need to read this; https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90r25. Maybe twice. Yes, we have a mechanics lien on this bike. We can sell it because we have fulfilled our obligation under the law. Selling as parts or track bike is easiest. No chasing ownership. Lets assume someone buys for track. What they have done is purchased our lien. Now call service Ontario, have $8 ready, and place your lien against this bike. You are now the possessory lien holder. That means registered owner, cops running the VIN at the track, or any previously filed lien holder CAN NOT take this bike from you. PERIOD. If needed, read this again; https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90r25

still waiting for your lawyers contact info..

EDIT: sorry, not looking to buy a lien..was considering a motorcycle purchase.

Lien claimant’s rights and obligations
28. (1) Where an article that is subject to a lien is in the lien claimant’s possession, the lien claimant,

(a) shall use reasonable care in the custody and preservation of the article, unless a higher standard of care is imposed by law;

Track day bike = reasonable care and preservation?

and yes you could sell it if you jump through some more hoops... You should say "lien for sale" not 250 ninja for sale... sorry dude this stinks..

Last edited:
Yes someone can "buy" your lien, that does NOT make them the legal owner, for the purposes of using the bike. Holding a Mechanics lien on a bike is NOT the same as being the registered LEGAL owner. You are incorrect the cops CAN seize the bike, as you would be required to prove you are the legal owner of the bike. If a garage, that also has dealer plates, gets a mechanic lien on the vehicle they can't just throw dealer plates on it and begin to use it as their own.

Once you have a mechanics lien on the bike there are PROPER ways to dispose of the property, and simply "selling" the lien and telling the purchaser they now own the bike and can use it as they see fit. You KNOW this is not the case otherwise you would simply take the steps and obtain a proper ownership. The fact that your unwilling to do so, would seem to indicate your either too lazy, or there is something amiss in this whole situation. With a proper ownership your more than likely to recover all your costs and still provide for a tidy profit.

If everything is on the up and up why not just post your lawyers contact info as has been requested? Or send it the OP as he seems interested in purchasing the bike

Last edited:
No, YOU are wrong! The cops CAN NOT seize the bike. I know this for a fact as we had three city cops in here months ago when the owner tried something stupid.

This bike was listed correctly; parts or track. Irregardless tentatively sold. See update.

"Owner notified 01 April 2015 (and many times after) bike ready for pickup. Bike still here."

"
...we had three city cops in here months ago when the owner tried something stupid."

The story gets more interesting. Eagerly awaiting the next chapter from the new 'owner'

Last edited:
I was in until irregardless

You can find that word in the Addictionary.

I must admit, I am a little Confrazzled with this story

Last edited:
I'd think that a two paragraph story about the legal status of the bike would send most people running in the other direction.

So of course the new owner is going to show up on GTAM in about a month, asking why the Service Ontario is belligerently refusing to issue them plates

No, YOU are wrong! The cops CAN NOT seize the bike. I know this for a fact as we had three city cops in here months ago when the owner tried something stupid.

This bike was listed correctly; parts or track. Irregardless tentatively sold. See update.

The owner tried "something stupid"...like getting back their property? You have a LIEN on the bike that does NOT make you the LEGAL owner. I can see a lawsuit in your future. The owner need pay for the work that was done to the bike and you MUST return their property. But hey no telling you. you are the expert. Just because those cops didn't do their job, doesn't mean you..or the new owner won't meet a cop who will do their job.

A fool is born every minute and whoever is "buying" this bike is a fool and may at some point learn a very valuable lesson, and they too may then come back after you.

So feel free to post the name of your shop, so that those who have a lick of commonsense can avoid it like the shady operation it is.

If you are a licensed repair facility or shop, or you have a written authorization from the owner or authorized person to perform repair work to the bike, and that amount for repairs and reasonable storage remains unpaid, you are entitled to a lien under the Repair and Storage liens act.
That lien does not need to be actually registered for you to hold possession of the asset in demand for reasonable payment. This is called a lien by possession, or a physical lien.
If requested, you are required to provide a written statement or bill, with all storage charges to any party which requests it.
You are required to notify the owner, in writing, by registered mail to their last known address, that you intend to sell the asset for fair market value to recover the outstanding reasonable storage and repairs.
You therefore need to know who the owner is, therefore a UVIP is required.
If you plan to sell the vehicle, you are required to buy a UVIP. Go buy a UVIP, you need one. Like before you can do anything.

If you intent to sell the vehicle to recover your reasonable storage and repairs, you must register a lien via the PSSA system persuant to the RSLA.
You then must wait the appropriate time after notifying the owner, and then you transfer the ownership to your name for the purpose of SALE or to RETAIN. The correct notice for SALE or RETAIN must be sent.
If not paid after the appropriate time frame has elapsed, you may take the appropriate action as you have sent in the Notice of Sale or Notice to Retain.
If you sell the asset - you must obtain fair market value. Any excess funds must be sent to the original owner.
If you retain an asset worth far more than the oustanding bill, you may be liable for the difference to the owner.
If you **** up, and don't do something properly, you are liable to the owner for that financial liability.
No, you cannot charge for a year of storage at $50 a day. Inside heated and insured storage is around $15 a day depending on where you go. Is your storage secure and insured? if so you can charge market rate for storage. If the storage is not insured, sorry, you will have a hard time justifying your rate.
Typically, 90 days is the max storage which can be accrued. 15x90 =$1350

Recourse: If the owner contests your bill, which you must provide a copy of to him at request, he can apply to the small claims court, and obtain a certificate from the court if he puts the contested amount into court. He must serve a copy of the certificate on you, upon receipt of which you must immediately and without reasonable delay give him the asset and its keys and documentation. You then have to file and successfully sue in order to get the money out of courts trust.

If you do not have written authorization to do the work on the vehicle, you will not be able to successfully action. Congrats, you did the work for free.

There is no deviation from the above, unless law has changed. If you do, you are personally liable

See a lawyer or a Bailiff. Seek help. I am offering opinion, and not legal advise.

^^ That's the way I understood how a mechanics lien works as well.

Just saying "you didn't pay your bill, I'm selling your property" won't cut it.

EXCELLENT post can you expand on the "option" the OP is considering taking of "selling the lien"?

If you are a licensed repair facility or shop, or you have a written authorization from the owner or authorized person to perform repair work to the bike, and that amount for repairs and reasonable storage remains unpaid, you are entitled to a lien under the Repair and Storage liens act.
That lien does not need to be actually registered for you to hold possession of the asset in demand for reasonable payment. This is called a lien by possession, or a physical lien.
If requested, you are required to provide a written statement or bill, with all storage charges to any party which requests it.
You are required to notify the owner, in writing, by registered mail to their last known address, that you intend to sell the asset for fair market value to recover the outstanding reasonable storage and repairs.
You therefore need to know who the owner is, therefore a UVIP is required.
If you plan to sell the vehicle, you are required to buy a UVIP. Go buy a UVIP, you need one. Like before you can do anything.

If you intent to sell the vehicle to recover your reasonable storage and repairs, you must register a lien via the PSSA system persuant to the RSLA.
You then must wait the appropriate time after notifying the owner, and then you transfer the ownership to your name for the purpose of SALE or to RETAIN. The correct notice for SALE or RETAIN must be sent.
If not paid after the appropriate time frame has elapsed, you may take the appropriate action as you have sent in the Notice of Sale or Notice to Retain.
If you sell the asset - you must obtain fair market value. Any excess funds must be sent to the original owner.
If you retain an asset worth far more than the oustanding bill, you may be liable for the difference to the owner.
If you **** up, and don't do something properly, you are liable to the owner for that financial liability.
No, you cannot charge for a year of storage at $50 a day. Inside heated and insured storage is around $15 a day depending on where you go. Is your storage secure and insured? if so you can charge market rate for storage. If the storage is not insured, sorry, you will have a hard time justifying your rate.
Typically, 90 days is the max storage which can be accrued. 15x90 =$1350

Recourse: If the owner contests your bill, which you must provide a copy of to him at request, he can apply to the small claims court, and obtain a certificate from the court if he puts the contested amount into court. He must serve a copy of the certificate on you, upon receipt of which you must immediately and without reasonable delay give him the asset and its keys and documentation. You then have to file and successfully sue in order to get the money out of courts trust.

If you do not have written authorization to do the work on the vehicle, you will not be able to successfully action. Congrats, you did the work for free.

There is no deviation from the above, unless law has changed. If you do, you are personally liable

See a lawyer or a Bailiff. Seek help. I am offering opinion, and not legal advise.

Yes, I can comment on the option of "selling the lien".

A Lien is non-transferable.

Ownership of the bike remains with the actual registered owner the entire time, until the Mechanic exercises right under law to either SELL or RETAIN, and has taken appropriate steps as previously described, and as prescribed by law.

If the mechanic makes a critical error, the mechanic is liable in civil court.
If the mechanic cheats the system or ignores the law, then the law could be charged under the criminal code for theft over/under $5000, and/or fraud, and if an affidavit was ever signed, then perjury, uttering a forged document, and other possible charges.

The mechanic cannot receive funds to settle the lien, and trade the bike to someone else, and then that person holds the lien. Again, Mechanics Lien is not transferable.

Once the mechanic receives full payment in the value of the registered lien, the lien is settled, the registered owner is immediately entitled to their property back. Even if the payee holds a receipt from the mechanic, and even a fancy written letter, the payee cannot hold the asset as collateral, because the payee is not the mechanic.

From what I can see the mechanic mentioned in this thread doesn't have a clue what they are doing. I wouldn't deal with them, and I would recommend they get legal assistance, else they almost guaranteed will find themselves in front of either a civil or criminal judge answering some very expensive questions.

To add regarding the cops seizing the bike:
IF the licensed and registered mechanic or body shop has a registered lien under the PPSA, OR has proper signed work order with storage and liens act clause in it, the police cannot intervene in what would be a civil matter.
However, if the the shop is just a joe in a garage, does not have a registered lien, or does not have the required paperwork - the supposed mechanic does NOT have a valid possessary lien.

There is a simple test for the mechanic. Does the mechanic have the proper licensing to prove eligibility for the lien? If yes, does the mechanic have the required documentation strong enough to stand on its own in court either as a defense of a civil or criminal action, or as claimant in a civil action? If yes, the mechanic can hold the bike for payment, and can refuse to release the bike. If the owner wishes to confirm the repairs were completed by visual inspection - this is a reasonable request which should be given, in a secure environment.

Again: Once payment is received, the mechanic must release the asset.

Oh, and No, the mechanic cannot charge 300 days storage. 90 unless a clear storage agreement is in writing, and even then there are restrictions.

Last edited:
Thank you for the clarifications. So as the OP posted he was right to pass and run not walk away from this person who "believes" he has everything in order to "sell" the lien. As I said earlier if he did this, as a "track bike" and the police stopped the bike on a trailer and ran the vin they would see it was registered to the LEGAL RO and unless the person in possession of that bike can prove that they have permission form the LEGAL RO to possess the bike the cops can seize the bike.

So if your considering dealing with the person who currently has possession of the bike, and he can show you the paperwork of the properly filed mechanics lien, (as long as it is a registered repair facility), and he has followed through on ALL the steps set out by Grimmy, (he WILL have paperwork from the MTO etc to show you), then RUN don't walk...lol

Yes, I can comment on the option of "selling the lien".

A Lien is non-transferable.

Ownership of the bike remains with the actual registered owner the entire time, until the Mechanic exercises right under law to either SELL or RETAIN, and has taken appropriate steps as previously described, and as prescribed by law.

If the mechanic makes a critical error, the mechanic is liable in civil court.
If the mechanic cheats the system or ignores the law, then the law could be charged under the criminal code for theft over/under $5000, and/or fraud, and if an affidavit was ever signed, then perjury, uttering a forged document, and other possible charges.

The mechanic cannot receive funds to settle the lien, and trade the bike to someone else, and then that person holds the lien. Again, Mechanics Lien is not transferable.

Once the mechanic receives full payment in the value of the registered lien, the lien is settled, the registered owner is immediately entitled to their property back. Even if the payee holds a receipt from the mechanic, and even a fancy written letter, the payee cannot hold the asset as collateral, because the payee is not the mechanic.

From what I can see the mechanic mentioned in this thread doesn't have a clue what they are doing. I wouldn't deal with them, and I would recommend they get legal assistance, else they almost guaranteed will find themselves in front of either a civil or criminal judge answering some very expensive questions.

To add regarding the cops seizing the bike:
IF the licensed and registered mechanic or body shop has a registered lien under the PPSA, OR has proper signed work order with storage and liens act clause in it, the police cannot intervene in what would be a civil matter.
However, if the the shop is just a joe in a garage, does not have a registered lien, or does not have the required paperwork - the supposed mechanic does NOT have a valid possessary lien.

There is a simple test for the mechanic. Does the mechanic have the proper licensing to prove eligibility for the lien? If yes, does the mechanic have the required documentation strong enough to stand on its own in court either as a defense of a civil or criminal action, or as claimant in a civil action? If yes, the mechanic can hold the bike for payment, and can refuse to release the bike. If the owner wishes to confirm the repairs were completed by visual inspection - this is a reasonable request which should be given, in a secure environment.

Again: Once payment is received, the mechanic must release the asset.

Oh, and No, the mechanic cannot charge 300 days storage. 90 unless a clear storage agreement is in writing, and even then there are restrictions.

Thank you for the clarifications. So as the OP posted he was right to pass and run not walk away from this person who "believes" he has everything in order to "sell" the lien. As I said earlier if he did this, as a "track bike" and the police stopped the bike on a trailer and ran the vin they would see it was registered to the LEGAL RO and unless the person in possession of that bike can prove that they have permission form the LEGAL RO to possess the bike the cops can seize the bike.

So if your considering dealing with the person who currently has possession of the bike, and he can show you the paperwork of the properly filed mechanics lien, (as long as it is a registered repair facility), and he has followed through on ALL the steps set out by Grimmy, (he WILL have paperwork from the MTO etc to show you), then RUN don't walk...lol

if the buyer was pulled over, the police would not be able to take any action whatsoever. The bike would be on a trailer, and their checking its vin number while transported on a lawfully licensed trailer would be illigal search and seizure. The vehicle would have been lawfull obtained, though ownership not transfered. The buyer would not have the rights of ownership of property. However the police cannot take any other action than some stern worded questions if the vehicle is not reported stolen, or maybe some bullying on the side of the road, but they can't forcibly sieze it without breaking the law themselves.

No, there wouldnt be any paperwork from the MTO or anything. Actually, the mechanic would have a nice new ownership in name, to sell to owner. Nothing more, nothing less.

Respectfully disagree. I have seen it done and done it myself. As long as the officer can show he had reasonable and probable grounds, and a bike is on a flat bed, (open view), trailer, ( an enclosed trailer is a whole different animal), the officer may run the VIN, if the vehicle operator can not produce some form of ownership in order to obtain the ownership details. An officer may also elect to obtain a search warrant in order to determine vehicle ownership. Normal next step is to then make contact with the RO to ensure their vehicle is where they think it is. I have recovered about 25 stolen vehicles before the RO even knew the vehicle had been taken. If the RO can not be contacted and the officer has reasonable and probable grounds, they may obtain a warrant to hold the vehicle until legal ownership can be determined.

If a person doesn't have "color of right" the legal way of saying legal ownership, then a stiffly worded warning isn't issued but a criminal charge of possession of stolen property is laid. This is the same charge if someone buys a vehicle they believe is legit but it is indeed a stolen vehicle. The vehicle in both cases would be seized as stolen property.

When I said proper paperwork from MTO, I meant the person should be able to show you the proper steps have been taken to obtain legal ownership of the vehicle, Which as you pointed out an ownership would suffice.

if the buyer was pulled over, the police would not be able to take any action whatsoever. The bike would be on a trailer, and their checking its vin number while transported on a lawfully licensed trailer would be illigal search and seizure. The vehicle would have been lawfull obtained, though ownership not transfered. The buyer would not have the rights of ownership of property. However the police cannot take any other action than some stern worded questions if the vehicle is not reported stolen, or maybe some bullying on the side of the road, but they can't forcibly sieze it without breaking the law themselves.

No, there wouldnt be any paperwork from the MTO or anything. Actually, the mechanic would have a nice new ownership in name, to sell to owner. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:
Respectfully disagree. I have seen it done and done it myself. As long as the officer can show he had reasonable and probable grounds, and a bike is on a flat bed, (open view), trailer, ( an enclosed trailer is a whole different animal), the officer may run the VIN, if the vehicle operator can not produce some form of ownership in order to obtain the ownership details. An officer may also elect to obtain a search warrant in order to determine vehicle ownership. Normal next step is to then make contact with the RO to ensure their vehicle is where they think it is. I have recovered about 25 stolen vehicles before the RO even knew the vehicle had been taken. If the RO can not be contacted and the officer has reasonable and probable grounds, they may obtain a warrant to hold the vehicle until legal ownership can be determined.

If a person doesn't have "color of right" the legal way of saying legal ownership, then a stiffly worded warning isn't issued but a criminal charge of possession of stolen property is laid. This is the same charge if someone buys a vehicle they believe is legit but it is indeed a stolen vehicle. The vehicle in both cases would be seized as stolen property.

When I said proper paperwork from MTO, I meant the person should be able to show you the proper steps have been taken to obtain legal ownership of the vehicle, Which as you pointed out an ownership would suffice.

I originally posted a long winded post picking yours apart, and the various things that are wrong with it. I deleted it so not as to deviate from this threads original topic.

To the OP, and to the mechanic: The mechanic should hire a bailiff to handle the RSLA so it is done properly.

Regarding police contables: Leave civil law to civil law enforcement such as sheriffs and bailiffs. I encourage any constable to become properly educated (especially in civil law) beyond their 3 months of police college training. Further, anything with regards to RSLA, a repo, etc, is a civil matter - police should not get involved in anything to which they are not qualified or educated.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom