Used bike, no bill, no ownership, no dice? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Used bike, no bill, no ownership, no dice?

Great advice the seller, won't even give him the ownership yet he is going to fork over the cash +, +, +. Then you recommend the OP commit theft by keeping the bike.. I certainly hope you don't follow your own advice.

OP you will "likely" have no issue getting an ownership, via an affidavit. As I said earlier the only "possible" hiccup, i can foresee is if the wife never gave hubby the OK to sell bike and she wants HER, bike back. If they are in a marital dispute this could get tricky. You have NOTHING to prove, you bought the bike and how much cash you forked over to the husband. She may not want to give you anything to get it back she can simply call the cops tell them you have HER bike. Cops come, they take the bike, and your the one left holding the bag. Although chances are if you show the cops the texts they would just say "give her the bike and we won't lay a charge".

Go back to dudes house and get your money back +gas, +time, +interest, +headache and stress, +your not going to cave his head in! Why you just didn't do that in the first place? Forget all that other crap......you got robbed! And I would keep the bike.

Yeah not taking yardi's "advice". The less the justice system is involved with your life the better off it is.

Went to a ServiceOntario today to buy the UVIP. The non-standard VIN confused the hell out of the clerk and manager. The VIN goes CM185T-XXXXXXX where the Xs are some kind of serial number I'm guessing.

No UVIP of course, they said I should go buy a CarFax report instead. Great advice, the site only works for post 1981 vehicles with 17-digit VINs.

May try an MTO office tomorrow or get the affidavit signed. E-mail what happened to the MTO, will see what I get back if anything.

CM185T is the model number of the bike so it's probably just the numbers afterward that are the VIN.

If they can't even get a UVIP to come up for it, they can't force you to have one, so I'd just do the affidavit and call it a done deal.

One other thought - it might be worth considering doing the safety on the bike before continuing the hassle. Not having it in your name yet might (but not necessarily need, based on the shop) complicate things, but my thought process is this - it's an old bike, parts are possibly scarce, possibly no longer available, or maybe extremely cost prohibitive - it would be a shame to go through all this hassle only to find out that the bike is more or less a basket case after the fact. If it passes and is roadworthy after it's all said and done, swear out the affidavit, get the ownership, and if you have the safety already in hand...get your plates and sticker while you're there and away you go.

If they can't even get a UVIP to come up for it, they can't force you to have one, so I'd just do the affidavit and call it a done deal.

One other thought - it might be worth considering doing the safety on the bike before continuing the hassle.

I'll try for the affidavit tomorrow then. I was thinking about going to the Provincial Offences court on Burnhamthorpe or perhaps the police station at Erin Mills and Dundas.

Doing a safety would likely be even more hassle and cost. First it probably won't pass, it's a project but I'm not spending another cent on parts until I'm sure I might be able to drive it someday. Second the only way I got it off my truck and into my basement to work on was some gravitational assistance. Getting it out is going to be a major endeavor, especially if it's not working.

We're u at the service Ontario at 10 and Eglington ?

No, Britannia and Mississauga Rd, only a couple minutes from my workplace. I've been to the Eglinton location before, maybe next time.

Sounds good, let us know how it goes.

If it's a project vs a rush, then yeah, get it in your name and then poke at it. Wasn't clear if you wanted/planned to ride it this year or not.

Oh I plan on a riding it this year, hopefully after getting my M2 mid-april.

Decided to try for the UVIP again, went to the Erindale location which is the area I live in. The Erindale Service Ontario is light years better then the Streetsville one, will be going there from now on. The clerk I got this time was also much more helpful. I took a picture last night of the VIN plate so someone believed me. She tried every combination possible, no result. Called "headquarters", couldn't find any record.

So according to them I have to set it up as a new vehicle. Contact a dealership, probably Ready Honda Powersports and have them write something up saying it actually exists. I'm hoping I can get this done via e-mails or an in-home inspection and not have to haul it out.

Dealership will likely want to see the bike, before they put their signature on anything "official."

Oh I plan on a riding it this year, hopefully after getting my M2 mid-april.

Decided to try for the UVIP again, went to the Erindale location which is the area I live in. The Erindale Service Ontario is light years better then the Streetsville one, will be going there from now on. The clerk I got this time was also much more helpful. I took a picture last night of the VIN plate so someone believed me. She tried every combination possible, no result. Called "headquarters", couldn't find any record.

So according to them I have to set it up as a new vehicle. Contact a dealership, probably Ready Honda Powersports and have them write something up saying it actually exists. I'm hoping I can get this done via e-mails or an in-home inspection and not have to haul it out.

My bike is a 1979. My VIN number is the last seven digit. Did the clerk try the last seven digit? CM185T-(XXXXXXX)
Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom