dalton times insurance for new riders | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

dalton times insurance for new riders

wait so if my car insurance expires in october, i can cancel it now and get a refund?
does this work with every insurance company?

im with intact for car.

Car policies are based on 12 months of driving so you won't get a refund, however there is nothing forcing you to remain where you are either until renewal - you can change insurance companies any time, you're never locked in.

Motorcycle policies are priced differently with premiums paid in the winter months actually being put towards your summer months of driving – in the case of the policy renews at the end of the traditional riding season, anything paid during the winter will be mostly refunded if you cancel in the spring. On the flipside however, a policy that renews in the spring that you choose to cancel in the fall, you'll end up owing all of the winter premiums instead - no refund, big bill instead.

My first reply on the refund topic wasn't worded quite clearly enough - if your motorcycle policy renewed in the fall and you've been paying all winter and cancel now, you'll get most of it refunded. If your policy from last year just wrapped up within the last month or so and you renewed, what you've paid SINCE that point up until the riding season begins will also be refunded. On either scenario, since based on the month of use ratios for motorcycles...you didn't actually "use" much of your premium paid.

However...If your insurance hasnt yet renewed and you are still at the tail end of last year's policy, on the flipside, canceling now will end up with a bill versus a refund since you actually used most of your premium amount in that policy term during last summer's riding season.

When your policy renews is the big difference here.

My policy just renewed as of March. So I'm literally having to wait a year. I guess what you're saying is if I switch over in February 2017, lets say, I'll get a couple of winter months refunded off the bike?

My policy just renewed as of March. So I'm literally having to wait a year. I guess what you're saying is if I switch over in February 2017, lets say, I'll get a couple of winter months refunded off the bike?

No, moving NEXT March you'll get nothing back if you just renewed THIS March - the money you're paying now and next winter is actually for this summers riding. If you move, say, this April..you'll get some of THIS march back.

But why wait? Go shopping for a better rate now. If you find one, change! Why potentially screw yourself waiting for another year if you find a better deal now?? Just don't cancel one before the other is in place, creating an insurance gap is generally frowned on.

No, moving NEXT March you'll get nothing back if you just renewed THIS March - the money you're paying now and next winter is actually for this summers riding. If you move, say, this April..you'll get some of THIS march back.

But why wait? Go shopping for a better rate now. If you find one, change! Why potentially screw yourself waiting for another year if you find a better deal now?? Just don't cancel one before the other is in place, creating an insurance gap is generally frowned on.

Isn't there an early cancellation penalty(fee)?

Isn't there an early cancellation penalty(fee)?

Yes, entirely possible, but depends on the insurer and/or broker. With Riders Plus it amounted to a few dollars in service fees, no real penanty. Your milage may vary, but in the case of many people where the savings at a new company can be very signifigant it's often a pittance in comparison. For example, I saved about $1K/year between what I was paying with Riders Plus to what I'm now paying with Dalton Timmis (I apparently didn't shop around enough before setting with RP, lesson learned), so with a $1K saving even if there had of been a $100 or $200 penalty, it was still a no brainer.

In the end I got back about $500 in refunded premiums since most of the months I had paid for (October, November, December and part of January) up until that point, having only opened the policy in October, were weighted as "non riding" months. $200 more and I basically paid my entire year of premiums with Dalton Timmis.

Has anyone been hit with the bait and switch on premiums for the bike? like gotten a quote and then had the premium swictched by these guys ?

praying to god they dont bait and switch me. I was quoted 5,000 for my bike and car and it is by far the cheapest quote I got. 2001 Saab 95, and 899 panigale with M2. I have to call back March 10th to lock in the rate for my policy to begin on April 10th. I bought the bike with the understanding this quote is going to pull through. If I do get ****ed, I will have no other choice but to sell the 899. I will cry....

I do have another company that might be able to help me but I will have to see

Has anyone been hit with the bait and switch on premiums for the bike? like gotten a quote and then had the premium swictched by these guys ?

I've seen too many people online who have had nothing but good experiences with Daltom Timmis (short of inreb here, lol) so I doubt it's a thing. More often than not these sorts of situations are a result of a rep not punching in the coverage you wanted properly, ie you wanted full coverage but they only quoted mistakenly for liability only, then you call back for full coverage and get a shock.

Most common other reason for sudden increases between quote and writing the policy is failure to disclose tickets or blemishes on your driving record - when you actually go to put a policy in place they pull your AutoPlus record and all that sort of stuff comes out of the woodwork - depending on the nature of what they find your rate can change.

Back
Top Bottom