tobermory. RIDE or DRIVE | GTAMotorcycle.com

tobermory. RIDE or DRIVE

chin.r

With spring and summer fast approaching, some buddies and I are planning for a trip up to tobermory.
To RIDE or to Drive, that is the question.

Just want to get some input from you all who have travelled there, points of interest and mode of vehicle preference, so we can better prep ourselves for a successful and enjoyable trip.

Much appreciated!

If it's a motorcycle trip you'll need to take the bike, if otoh, you want to carry a big picanic basket take the auto. Follow your dream, nothing is impossible.

Take your own straps to anchor the bike down on the ferry...that is the one thing I would change if I do it again. The cross winds that day made for a rough water crossing.

We camped there with 6 bikes and one car to carry all the heavy equipment but we stayed a few days. if it is a couple of days I say ride, it is always better.

And if its early april may, night will be pretty cold ;)

if you're going to Tobermory you gotta stop by the grotto. and I regretfully didn't see a lighthouse but they have lighthouse tours I'd that's your cup of tea.

there's also a scenic hike in lions head where there's a couple Caves and 3 lookout points of the peninsula as well.
f891505a3033a015dee021072cb3b7d9.jpg
7fb11406135a030fe5cfe0c70f83c2a7.jpg

And on the way back home I recommend going to the lions head inn restaurant
f20f5a58de5fe6057f0db322df92eb3e.jpg

I took the car up there, some points of interest we went to had gravel roads. I don't think I'd take the bike out there. the roads are mostly straight.

if you're interested in the above pm me and I'll give you the address of all the locations I mentioned.

Last edited:
Did a weekend trip to Tobermory / Manitoulin Island last summer. Ended up riding all the way, camping in Tobermory and going for a day trip on Manitoulin. The road to Tobermory is boring, save for a short detour around Owen Sound / Wiarton. Overall it was a pleasant experience, with good weather and good company being decisive factors for that.

Having said that, to ride or to drive, it really depends on whom are you going and what type of experience you are looking for.

Some ideas for this trip:
- ride/drive on Grey Rd 1 between Owen Sound to Wiarton
- a detour to Dyers Bay
- a trip to Manitoulin Island (take the ferry)
- visit the Bridal Veil Falls on Manitoulin Island
- visit Little Current waterfront
- a hike in Misery Bay PP (on Manitoulin)

There are many other places of interest, I've only mentioned those where I've been.

The road to Tobermory is boring

That's like saying the road to Port Dover is boring. I guess that's appropriate if the question posited is ride or drive?

I get what he was saying. the highway to Tobermory is straight, not scenic, and it is an 80 with some OPP cars chilling on the side of the road.

I dreaded it. each side of the road was covered by trees. the only good drive I had on my way there was on the coast where you can see the water and the boats and the nice houses.

I get what he was saying. the highway to Tobermory is straight, not scenic, and it is an 80 with some OPP cars chilling on the side of the road.

I dreaded it. each side of the road was covered by trees. the only good drive I had on my way there was on the coast where you can see the water and the boats and the nice houses.

Taking the direct route tends to be that way. Typically, motoring enthusiasts make it a point of finding the good bits. Top of the hill out of Wiarton, hang a right. Enjoy.

Take the bike and a tent, print out some topographic maps of the area, take bike down sketchy access roads, sleep on the best beaches in Ontario for free (Crown Land FTW).

If you're going to take the ferry, motorcycles are the first on/off. Ensure you gas up before getting on. When you disembark and are low on fuel, stopping to gas up will result in 100's of cars passing you when you're fueling up. Open road versus frustrating traffic (with campers, trailers, boats and all kinds of moving chicanes). Of course all is well if you intend to hang out awhile and let the traffic move on before you set out (not much to see in Southbaymouth though).
Be careful as the cops know the boat schedule and strategically hang out just where/when you think it's safe to have some fun.
Bring your own tie-downs, ferry ropes are garbage.
The roads on the island are fun. Do them all(or lots of them) if you can. Owen Sound to Tobermory is a big yawn.

When I got my scuba diving license a few years back the guys that were teaching it had mentioned that they had brought a boat and sunk it right off Tobermory for some interesting diving fun.

The ride up to Tobermory I got the best fuel mileage I have ever managed in all my years of riding with those 80km/hr roads. Normally I get about 350km/tank, but this day I managed well over 500km/tank! Straight and slow is the ride up that way.

I think that's the wreck of the Sweepstake, came in off Georgian Bay in a horrible storm, hit the huge rock in the middle of the harbor and sank in 15ft. Its a great trip to kayak or canoe over. Its really cold to snorkel. The deck hatches are open but DO NOT attempt to swim in one end and out the other.

Id ride up if you had a nice weather window.

Back
Top Bottom