Switching to a twin from a 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Switching to a twin from a 4

Hi guys, I don't know if it's bike withdrawal, but I'm thinking of trading in my Suzuki GSX650F for a Moto Guzzi V7. What worries me is that I might not like it since I've never ridden a Vtwin. I have no complaints about my current bike, it does everything I want it to do. What really caught my attention with the MG is how everyone who's ridden it talks about its personality. What do you guys think? Should I take the plunge and trade my trusty gsx650 in? Do any of you have any experience with MG? I love touring, in fact I set up my current bike for that, would the lack of a windscreen stop me from going on long trips? Thanks and I look forward to your comments!

While the Moto Guzzi V7 is a good lookin' bike it's lacking in hp and torques. ;)

While considering twins you might look at the pre '16 Triumph twins.

Personally I like the feel of twins over inline 4's. They have more soul and bottom end torque (although less of the top end rush that comes from an inline 4). I prefer more than 75 hp in a bike (although small bikes can be fun too). 50 hp puts the MG in the awkward middle for me where it's not that quick, but it is not cheap to insure. This is just a personal opinion and I am sure other people will disagree with me.

As far as windscreens go, It gets tiring being out in the wind, but it is surprising how effective a little deflector over the headlight can be to push the majority of the air up over the rider without ruining the look of the bike.

Depends on what you like. I don't like twins but 99% of people do. I like a progressive power curve & end up bouncing off the limiter on a twin. I like a smooth running engine also.

Your best bet would be to demo one

While the Moto Guzzi V7 is a good lookin' bike it's lacking in hp and torques. ;)

While considering twins you might look at the pre '16 Triumph twins.

I was also looking at them. Thing is, I don't want a cruiser and the main reason I'm considering replacing my current bike is because I was chatting with a MG sales guy who told me that since the V9 is coming out this year, there will be a sale on V7 old stocks.

Depends on what you like. I don't like twins but 99% of people do. I like a progressive power curve & end up bouncing off the limiter on a twin. I like a smooth running engine also.

Your best bet would be to demo one

I don't think MG does demo ridesangry9:

I prefer twins to i4's any day of the week. The linear torque band and corner drive is amazing.
Have a Triumph triple as well, which is also much preferable to an i4 in my opinion, as it is has much more torque at lower RPM.

Current street and track rides are twins, and my next bike will likely be a Ducati Diavel or KTM Superduke - both twins....

Only thing better about i4's IMHO is that they're smoother overall - the cylinders aren't near as large so the vibrations are lessened. Sure, they still have their own buzzy-ness at certain RPM, but that can easily be dealt with in general.

The bike I put my deposit on is a 160 hp twin. I'm quite looking forward to it.
Did you go the Ktm?

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Twins and v4s are so much more engaging.

Now you guys got me curious on trying out a twin! I guess if those V7s go on sale and the price is right for me, I'll bite! Anybody have any experience with Moto Guzzi? Apart from a Bonnie, are there any other simillar bikes (V twin and not a cruiser)?

Last edited:
I guess you have to be honest with yourself about what kind of riding you're going to do mostly. On paper the MG V7 looks about perfect for secondary road touring not so much big hiway miles. I only ride twins and singles, don't really see a 4 in my future. I looked at MG V7 at Two Wheel last summer, almost made me regret my Triumph twin. Those MG's are lovely looking machines. If I could do it over.......

The first time I drove a Vtwin I was quite honestly gobsmacked at the torque. I can break the back tire of my VTX loose in a variety of gears, just slightly off idle. I test drove a few other big twins as well before buying the VTX and they all shared that grin-inducing torque that I ended up falling in love with.

I don't discount those who like i4's, owned a few in my sport bike riding days of past when that was my bag, but it really depends on what kind of riding you're looking for.

And not all VT's are vibration monsters. Again, referencing my VTX, I was amazed at how little it vibrates, actually. The stereotypical view of a Harley guy sitting at a stoplight with the handlebars vibrating out of his hands isn't necessarily reality on most VT's.

I did. Couple of details to work out but it's all falling into place.
Sweet. Congratulations, its an awesome bike.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

The first time I drove a Vtwin I was quite honestly gobsmacked at the torque. I can break the back tire of my VTX loose in a variety of gears, just slightly off idle. I test drove a few other big twins as well before buying the VTX and they all shared that grin-inducing torque that I ended up falling in love with.

I don't discount those who like i4's, owned a few in my sport bike riding days of past when that was my bag, but it really depends on what kind of riding you're looking for.

And not all VT's are vibration monsters. Again, referencing my VTX, I was amazed at how little it vibrates, actually. The stereotypical view of a Harley guy sitting at a stoplight with the handlebars vibrating out of his hands isn't necessarily reality on most VT's.

ain't even a reality anymore, for some time now on harleys, depending what models,

just cos it may shake at idle doesn't necessarily mean it won't smooth right out at revs, at least for the rider

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_FL#Tour_Glide

Last edited:
Now you guys got me curious on trying out a twin! I guess if those V7s go on sale and the price is right for me, I'll bite! Anybody have any experience with Moto Guzzi? Apart from a Bonnie, are there any other simillar bikes (V twin and not a cruiser)?
Because you said you want to go on long trips and on a twin, the V-Strom is a pretty capable twin with huge aftermarket support. Definitely doesn't look similar to the Bonnie or V7 or have this mystical thing you speak of called personality, but they are workhorses.

Because you said you want to go on long trips and on a twin, the V-Strom is a pretty capable twin with huge aftermarket support. Definitely doesn't look similar to the Bonnie or V7 or have this mystical thing you speak of called personality, but they are workhorses.

I was on holiday in Panama recently and came across a guy on a Wee who'd ridden from Calgary with zero problems with his bike. He couldn't say enough good things about it.

There is a guy on the StromTrooper site with 370k MILES on his Wee - does not use oil, motor never cracked.

Neither of mine caused me an iota of trouble until I messed with replacing the clutch lever....:rolleyes:

That said - I've gone the other way and while I enjoy the Strom it does not give the thrill of the CBF1000 inline 4. It pulls from 2800 rpm in 6th effortlessly, lovely rush with no sense of losing control.
My ST1100 gave a similar rush but it weighed way more than the 490 lb the CBF does. I'm used to the turbine like smooth acceleration and prefer it over the busy feel of the Wee and the thump of the KLR650 here.

I can see an inline 4 in the smaller displacements missing the torque but that's not so with the litre 4s from Honda that

DL-1000 ( Vstrom 1000 )

Vstrom%20hp-tq.jpg

CBF1000 and two other litre inline 4s - the CBF gets to 60 lb sooner than the twin.

torquetest.jpg

You can see the CBF torque comes in very early - better than the big twin. While the Yamaha's lag.
My son's FZ-08 has the same lag in torque...he likes riding the CBF as a result.

OP..

Compare that CBF1000 torque curve to yours

2010-650s-dyno-torque.jpg

only 50 lb more weight than yours....a world of performance difference

I had never heard of the bike but glad I found one.

Nice deal here for someone... a few scrapes in the same place as mine.

$_27.JPG

$_27.JPG

$4150

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-tourin...09/1137129932?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom