Looking to buy my first bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking to buy my first bike

Adrian is terrific but some fill in details will help people here get your pointed in tha good direction.

How old are you? Any riding background etc.
The FIRST stop is to check insurance rates.

The FIRST stop is to check insurance rates.

Best advice you'll receive all decade.

Been a few horror stories here just in the last month or two about new riders who bought bikes before getting quotes..and then got the bad news.

Thanks guys. I'm 30 - never rode before. Insurance isn't bad - hoping to p/u a Hyosung GT250R to learn on. Got quoted under $600 for the year.

Thanks guys. I'm 30 - never rode before. Insurance isn't bad - hoping to p/u a Hyosung GT250R to learn on. Got quoted under $600 for the year.

Nooooooooooo

You are on the correct track then. I'd tend to stay with name brands tho if you intend to flip the bike in a couple of years.
What is your inseam.??

At your age and decent insurance...I'd not shy away from a CB500x or ( 477 CC ) as a long term ride. It's light and fun and you might ride it for a decade and quite easy to roll over.
It's considered a LAM ...learner machine in Europe and Australia but I've been riding for 50 years and it's high on the list for a next ride in Australia.
Light and easy around town but I'd have no issue taking it across the continent.

Another ride to consider is the BMW Scarver F650cs - again a learners bike but could do you for a decade. Was far ahead of it's time. Low seat height. and they tend to hold their value.

$_27.JPG

$4k - hard to go wrong.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-m...ro/1101310950?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

What do you intend to use the bike for??

Last edited:
i would stay away from it unless you are getting it for a grand. not the best bikes out there...actually probably the least reliable street legal production bike out there..

go for a ninja 250/300 or just get a honda shadow or other lower cc cruiser...
in Europe ive heard the duke monster is known as a good beginner bike...im not sure if that was a joke or not but whatevver. its small and easy to ride.
ide even look at the mt 07

with the insurance rates right now all over the map, get the quotes and then open the policy on the vin of that bike before you take delivery.

Like someone else mentioned go with the Ninja 250 or honda 250 as well, i wouldn't buy the hyosung non even for $500- no market for it and really hard to sell it.

Ninja 500.... Amazing starter bike... Cheap to insure... Cheap to run.... Parts are plentiful

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks all. I'm looking for a sports bike and was hoping to spend 2500ish. I liked the Hyosungs as they are larger than the other 250s. I'm only looking to learn and maybe ride a couple of days a week - no commuting. Are they really that bad? Anyone have first hand experience? I've read mixed opinions on them.

Hyosung are not the most reliable bikes

Better to go with one of the 4 japs

The ninja 500 is an excellent starter bike that will last you A long time

Bigger than 250s but not overwhelming

Very easy to wrench on and parts are plentiful

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

A used ninja or Honda CBR250 would be in your price range. Much better than the Hyosung.

Any thoughts on financing a bike? You won't take a huge bath on the resale like you do with a new car. Especially for a sub-$5000 bike. May I suggest a CBR300RA?

Thanks all. I'm looking for a sports bike and was hoping to spend 2500ish. I liked the Hyosungs as they are larger than the other 250s. I'm only looking to learn and maybe ride a couple of days a week - no commuting. Are they really that bad? Anyone have first hand experience? I've read mixed opinions on them.

Do you have a reason to "look for a sports bike"???

As anyone will tell you ...Ontario is a dry zone for roads conducive to sports biking without driving considerable distances and you will find out quickly just how uncomfortable sports bike seating is for riding any distance.

Upright seating is safer for a beginner and easier in traffic plus you CAN ride the distances comfortably to get to motorcycle heavens like Pennsylvania.

My son was enamoured of a sports bike after growing up on dirt machines. He forked out a big chunk of change on an SV650s and while he had great fun with it in Quebec he was a wreck by the time he got home.

Switched to the more upright seating of the FZ-08 and that's a long term ride for him as he can be agressive as he likes in the twists yet still handle multiple 700km plus days.

Even at thirty your joints aren't as flexible and supple and you are likely to find the sports seating even more annoying. Even in traffic swivelling your head and using mirrors is easier on an upright seated bike.....mind you some of them listed as choices are not full sports seating anyway.

In my mind at your age and insurance rating I'l be looking for a long term ride and maybe spend a little more to get it.

Ex Had one, it was bigger than a 250 and rode really well, no issues. If you just want a bike to ride you are fine with good maintenance, if you want to keep resale value then stay away from it and go with the Ninjas.

People like to repeat stuff they hear like parrots, if I was in the market for a small bike, cheap I would go with the Hyosung instead of a Ninja.

Also it is Fuel Injected, most of the 250s out there for that price range have gone through many owners clueless of maintenance and are carburated.

Last edited:
+1 People like to repeat stuff they hear like parrots. I hear Hyosung is a decent choice, but a little iffy on resale.

Back
Top Bottom