Are we breathing in tire and brake dust? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Are we breathing in tire and brake dust?

-D-

Banned
Just a random thought...

Where are the rubber pieces going that wear off our tires, as well the brake materials from our pads?
Are we breathing it in...entering the water streams?

I can just imagine the amount of tires disposed off yearly in Ontario alone.
As you are driving down the road you are leaving a trail of rubber.

Has there been a study of cancer rates by highways?

Are we drinking windshield wiper fluid? How many hundreds of thousands of gallons used each year? Where does it go?

Wouldn't it be worse in a Subway or LRT station, since the trains have to stop each time?

Is that partly why the ceilings are blackened, besides the Diesel trains?

Do they use Asbestos in their brake pads?

It's not about wearing a mask. It's a general question as to where this stuff ends up, unless you plan to wear a mask every minute you are out of your house...and your house has some serious filtering system.

I am thinking more about the people that live right next to the highways especially those downtown along the Gardiner.

If you live on a major artery you'll see the furnace filter plug up twice as fast.

Everything that is considered a consumable on a vehicle goes somewhere, it doesn't magically evaporate into thin air, short of perhaps windshield washer fluid – the alcohol content does exactly that, the water and colouring go elsewhere though.

But I don't think it's worth fretting about, our livers do a good job of detoxifying for us. That's what they're for. Particulate matter from exhaust would be far more concerning than a little bit of microscopic rubber from a tire, or brake dust from brake pads...which seldom use asbestos anymore, FYI.

In China where air pollution can be cut with a knife the story might be different, however much of the government polution regulations here (that seems to piss off some people to no end) prevents that sort of thing, they just don't see the bigger picture and appreciate that.

I am thinking more about the people that live right next to the highways especially those downtown along the Gardiner.

*waves*

They're building two schools on the lot between Brunel Court and Canoe Landing Park. My kid's not going there.

Everything that is considered a consumable on a vehicle goes somewhere, it doesn't magically evaporate into thin air, short of perhaps windshield washer fluid – the alcohol content does exactly that, the water and colouring go elsewhere though.

But I don't think it's worth fretting about, our livers do a good job of detoxifying for us. That's what they're for. Particulate matter from exhaust would be far more concerning than a little bit of microscopic rubber from a tire, or brake dust from brake pads...which seldom use asbestos anymore, FYI.

In China where air pollution can be cut with a knife the story might be different, however much of the government polution regulations here (that seems to piss off some people to no end) prevents that sort of thing, they just don't see the bigger picture and appreciate that.

I will disagree on some of your points.
You have a seemingly endless road where the product (tire) is actually disintegrating right in front you.
Multiply that by the millions...I am just curious as to where the heck all of that tire debris end up.

New tire 100%>>>>old worn tire leaving it's parts in the wake....that's all.

As I mentioned, it's just an odd observation.

Being metallic, I'd imagine brake dust to fall to the ground rather quickly...although if you're riding behind cars travelling at highway speeds and slowing, I'm sure a few thousand molecules will make their way into your system. Rubber compounds probably aren't airborne for too long, either - I agree with Private Pilot (oh nooooo!!!!) emissions from the engines are probably the only thing we should worry about breathing too much of

what doesn't kill you.... c'est la vie.

try this ... I have done this since I used to commute from Mississauga to Markham everyday (for 5 years) on a motorcycle.

Take a ride on the 401 to Scarborough and back (I'm west end) and then go home and wipe your face down with a WHITE towel. You'll see how much soot your fact is covered in ... that's what your breathing.

The liver won't filter airborne pollutants any more than it is able to filter out cigarette smoke or asbestos particles (that lead to mesothelioma).

I've often wondered the same thing -- brake pad material in particular -- and how it affects us and the environment. As PP notes, fortunately for us brake and clutch lining materials don't often use asbestos anymore and if they do it's in pretty small quantities. Still, if you're on the road all the time like a trucker having a HEPA filtration system for your cab and keeping the windows close, at least in urban and built-up areas, seems like a good idea.

Seriously? Of course you're breathing in brake dust, rubber, fumes, etc. You're also drinking all the drugs and crap flushed into the waste stream at some level. Will it shorten your life span? Yes. By how much or little? No idea. I just want it to be quick. I don't plan on being in a nursing home.

If tires wear one micron per km,, and you drive 60 km /hr for 1 hr west... where does the Levee go? there should be a mound, or levee beside the road of all the microns of tire wear.... a knowledgeable person told me once... tires are rubber.. rubber is from a tree.. there is bacteria that eats rubber ,, so it is like a septic bed.. where it decomposes "most" of the part of the tire that does become airborne.

now.. I want to know... if a mosquito splats on your mirror.. or helmet and creates a cloud of mosquito vapour... can the virus it is carrying be inhaled?

I assume not... but what do you think?

oh,, on the topic of drinking all the drugs and crap flushed into the waste stream at some level ...... one day,, there will be a link to the fish that are changing sex,, like males that have eggs,, or the anus moving from the tail to the gills... oh.. that has already been seen...
I wonder if the human population are having an increase in gender issues toooo??

then there is radiation,, hospitals used to administer radio active pills for cancer patients.. they didn't want all that product in the hospital as it was becoming concentrated.... so the developed a plan.. ship the pills from radioactive mine to the patients home,, then the amount of radiation is very small...... strange thing tho... garbage trucks crossing the border were detected with radiation,, and they found it was in adult diapers......... swallow the pill,, and it goes thru the body process and is expelled... some into diapers.. some into toilets..... the toilets drain into a sewage treatment plant... where the radiation collects again.. in increased levels..

something like old farms had 100 cattle,, and matching amounts of dung in one area .. dump it in a field........ now we have cattle factories that concentrate the dung and make it harder to dilute it on one field,, so it runs off... and finds a drinking well... and we have Walkerton...

goes on and on........

Back
Top Bottom