Sorry to be that guy .... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sorry to be that guy ....

Hey all.

So sorry to be that guy because I'm sure you've all answered this same question 100 times, but here i am asking about insurance.

22/M/Keswick, ON
No tickets, No accidents, No claims, nothing.
6 Years of driving experience in March 2016.
Got my M1 last march/april, took the course to get M2 in June through Learning Curves.

So last summer I attempted to call my broker (who mainly deals with intact I believe). The best quote he could give me between an R3, Ninja 250/300, CBR250/300, and CBR500 was about 4500 - 5500 bucks a year. WHAT. These are 250's... Even he seemed baffled as to how high these numbers were and apologized to me and said he wished he could do something about it.. He even talked to one of his coworkers that "specializes more in toys" and were those were the best numbers i got. Keeping those kinda bikes in mind. Is there any other bikes I could look into that may drop the rate? or any specific company/broker someone can recommend?

Thank you for your time,

One frustrated hopeful rider lol

Last edited:
Check the Insurance forum. There might be some help there. You've got some strikes against you:

- you're only 22
- you're male
- you've only just got your license
- you want to ride a motorcycle

You're going to pay a lot for insurance. $5000? I dunno, but it's going to be through the nose.

I really wonder about the future of this sport/hobby/endeavor in this province. I don't see how dealers are moving even entry-level stock when potential buyers are expected to pay as much for a year of insurance as for the bike itself...

For comparison, I started riding at 30, over 10 years with full G, no tickets, no accidents, and a CBR250RA was $1200/year first year...so your numbers seems reasonable, given rates here in Ontario. I also knew one guy, about 19-20 with no driving history (just got his G1M1), and he was paying around $4000/year on a CBR125R.

In case it helps, year 2 my rate dropped to $512/year...guessing since I stayed ticket & claim free, and didn't kill myself I was deemed less of a risk to them. This was also with TD MM and my car and condo with them...everyone else wanted a bit more for the 250 (but strangely TD was the most expensive on the 650 so I left them when I switched bikes).

Last edited:
Try Dalton Timmis - they deal with almost 20 insurance companies through their brokerage and can shop you around a lot more than any other brokerage can. Worth the phone call, I just switched to them and am paying over $1K less than I was before and my wife's quote was also about $1K less than much of the competition.

Worth the phone call. I agree that you're not going to find a *cheap* quote in year 1 for all the reasons Blackfin mentioned above, I think you should be able to find better than 5K.

The guy I bought my wife's 250 off of was similar in age/experience to you and was paying less than $2K he said, so I think you need to expand your search.

Hey all.

So sorry to be that guy because I'm sure you've all answered this same question 100 times, but here i am asking about insurance.

22/M/Keswick, ON
Got my M1 last march/april, took the course to get M2 in June through Learning Curves.

So last summer I attempted to call my broker (who mainly deals with intact I believe). The best quote he could give me between an R3, Ninja 250/300, CBR250/300, and CBR500 was about 4500 - 5500 bucks a year. WHAT. These are 250's... Even he seemed baffled as to how high these numbers were and apologized to me and said he wished he could do something about it.. He even talked to one of his coworkers that "specializes more in toys" and were those were the best numbers i got. Keeping those kinda bikes in mind. Is there any other bikes I could look into that may drop the rate? or any specific company/broker someone can recommend?

Thank you for your time,

Aviva will be very competitive for you (new rider, training course completed, motorcycle 650 cc and under).

Contact me if you would like to obtain a quote through them.

Thanks

Hey all.

22/M/Keswick, ON

Thank you for your time,

i think keswick has fairly good rates. look at getting maybe a smaller cc honda shadow or other cruiser and see what that will cost you.
when i was in my late 20s i paid $527 a year on a harley sportster 883.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey how are you doing ? Those numbers are too high for 250s lol. Try desjardins first. They are pretty good, you'll be paying about 2000, also call/email Paul that replied on this post, Pretty sure you'll be paying under 2k for comprehensive (amazing guy, just email him with your infos provided above. he will give you a quote in few hours). I am with aviva through paul and im 23, living in brampton. Got my insurance when i was 22, paid only $1870 for 250cc (only bike insured with him). I hope thats cheap enough,welcome to riding haha, Take care :p

Hey all.

22/M/Keswick, ON

Thank you for your time,

Last edited:
Awesome, thank you so much everyone.

I've got a quote from TD Online, A quote from Paul/Chris and am waiting to hear back from Dalton Timmis and my actual broker. The quotes seem much more reasonable so far this year (<3000, some closer to 2000), maybe the dream will come true!

EDIT- Anyone know why such a large difference? Surely 6-8 months can't make THAT much of a difference? Are quotes cheaper at the beginning of the year to try and win over customers angered at their renewals?

Awesome, thank you so much everyone.

I've got a quote from TD Online, A quote from Paul/Chris and am waiting to hear back from Dalton Timmis and my actual broker. The quotes seem much more reasonable so far this year (<3000, some closer to 2000), maybe the dream will come true!

EDIT- Anyone know why such a large difference? Surely 6-8 months can't make THAT much of a difference? Are quotes cheaper at the beginning of the year to try and win over customers angered at their renewals?

Insurance is retarded. Most base their rates on how long you've held an M class license as "experience". I'm assuming riders are statistically more likely to make a claim in the first year of holding their M class. I waited a year 5 years ago and my insurance dropped from 3500 to 1700.

And FYI: I still dropped the bike many times after lol

32/Male/M2/Milton, Ontario/Yamaha R3
Just signed with TD for around $550 a year, was with SF last year with M1 for $1200 a year

Lucky you?

Me and OP are in same position just different age, same motorcycle, same licence, same clean record, safety course.
Just giving him info so he can compare and get a rough idea, I have no clue how age plays into pricing.

Would you like to add something helpfull to this thread ?

My brother is 21 with a clean record and g license and has a royal enfield c5 bullet. It's 500cc but classified as a standard bike. He is with aviva and pays around $3200 for the year which he was just told over the weekend that he should be able to get much lower ( going into his second season this year) so check them out. Personally i am with state farm because they were pretty much my only choice. Had issues getting insured on a harley sportster ( with a clean record) but I am 26, male and new rider, so state farm insured me for $2200 while TD wanted just under $8000.

Give Paul South a call at Surnet. I got the best quote with him. 24 / G/M2 Ninja 250 $1300/year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of like everyone else has said its an age thing.
I'm 35 M2, no tickets of any kind and ride a CBR500R and mines about 1200 on its own this year it goes to 960. I asked what price on a GSXR600 would be. Won't insure me. GSXR750 and won't insure me. GSXR1000 insure is 1850 for the year. Crazy that i can't get anything in between but I can ride a 1000?

end of day your on 2 wheels and its better than driving and walking. I would still shop around as many places as you can.

UPDATE!

Hi everyone, thanks so much for all your advice and wisdom!
I'm in the middle of purchasing a 2015 YZF-R3 after a test ride and am going with Paul/Christoper South at Surnet!
Got the 4500 plus mentioned before down to around 2500 with full coverage.

+1 to Christoper for the awesome interactions I've had with him so far. Would recommend anyone to them. Email interactions we're quick, friendly, painless and even got answers late at night way outside of typical office hours.

Cheers!

UPDATE!

Hi everyone, thanks so much for all your advice and wisdom!
I'm in the middle of purchasing a 2015 YZF-R3 after a test ride and am going with Paul/Christoper South at Surnet!
Got the 4500 plus mentioned before down to around 2500 with full coverage.

+1 to Christoper for the awesome interactions I've had with him so far. Would recommend anyone to them. Email interactions we're quick, friendly, painless and even got answers late at night way outside of typical office hours.

Cheers!

I dont get it.

I was 16 on a GS1000S (in 2006) and the bike and insurance was fully in my name, and I was paying $3950/year. I have had insurance and a bike every year since then, and my R3 costs me $750/full coverage per year.

When I got my M licence, nothing changed, when I turned 25, it dropped a huge $20 per year.

You toronto guys are getting screwed.

Back
Top Bottom