Where to get a flywheel lightened? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where to get a flywheel lightened?

theraymondguy

Is there a known reliable machinist or shop in the GTA for flywheel lightening? I had a guy in the states but he is no longer viable.

Thanks!

I would think any shop that does engine work or performance work could do it. It's just a drill press and a pattern of holes no?

I would think any shop that does engine work or performance work could do it. It's just a drill press and a pattern of holes no?

No,
It is more a lathe and knowing what NOT to remove.
That being said any machine shop worth it weight in salt can do this for you.

I have used Yorke at 198 30th in Etob. (416) 255-2032

Personally, I wouldn't remove weight with holes. The 2 I have done I chucked up in my lathe and removed some material from the outside and and the face. Similar to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvlliZrEAow (skip to about the 8min mark)

OP: have you had this type of flywheel lightened in the past? If so was it turned down or were holes put in it?

To turn it down, pretty well any machine shop could do it with a manual lathe. Would probably want a way to balance it afterwards though I never did as I didn't have a the means to do it. If someone was to 'just put holes in it' I would want them to follow a pattern to balance the item. In that case you need a milling machine with either a rotary table or a DRO to do the pattern nicely on a manual mill. Or use a CNC mill.

Note, I am not a machinist by trade ... just own milling machine and lathe for hobby purposes

Jeff

any decent machine shop should be able to do that without much trouble. You can't go wrong with gord bush or bondar

Please don't bother Gordie Bush with this trivial job... he's swamped with work, REAL work, so if he does it for you, you'll get it back in June or July.

Yorke is just around the corner from Gord, and Gord recommended them to me when I had a job that Gordie couldn't do (Yorke couldn't do it either but that is another story. Yorke broke three broaches try to cut a keyway into hardened tool steel taper for me. I ended up doing it myself. Yorke didn't charge me for trying... I even offered to pay for the broaches... but no. Nice guy!).

Personally, I wouldn't remove weight with holes. The 2 I have done I chucked up in my lathe and removed some material from the outside and and the face. Similar to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvlliZrEAow (skip to about the 8min mark)

OP: have you had this type of flywheel lightened in the past? If so was it turned down or were holes put in it?

To turn it down, pretty well any machine shop could do it with a manual lathe. Would probably want a way to balance it afterwards though I never did as I didn't have a the means to do it. If someone was to 'just put holes in it' I would want them to follow a pattern to balance the item. In that case you need a milling machine with either a rotary table or a DRO to do the pattern nicely on a manual mill. Or use a CNC mill.

Note, I am not a machinist by trade ... just own milling machine and lathe for hobby purposes

Jeff

I really don't like the way the guy in that video grabs the rotor by the circumference.
I use the taper from the crank held in the chuck, then hold the rotor onto the taper with a live center.
That way you are spinning the rotor on it's true center.

... oh and I wouldn't try to drill a pattern of holes in a disk or rotor with a CNC mill or with a DRO on a manual mill. Three days of math for 30 minutes of drilling.

I really don't like the way the guy in that video grabs the rotor by the circumference.
I use the taper from the crank held in the chuck, then hold the rotor onto the taper with a live center.
That way you are spinning the rotor on it's true center.

... oh and I wouldn't try to drill a pattern of holes in a disk or rotor with a CNC mill or with a DRO on a manual mill. Three days of math for 30 minutes of drilling.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

It is a dirt bike flywheel. The bike I'm working on is rare - very rare, so I don't want someone who's inexperienced doing the work.

I've always had them lightened by removing material from the circumference. Helps the engine to spin up quicker, notable improvement on corner exit. I'll give Yorke a call.

i would let Gord Bush decide if he is too busy or not, he did a fantastic job on my crank, with a quick turn around, and at the price quoted.

Back
Top Bottom