Beards | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Beards

Everyone skin is different but when you are first growing a beard the itch is a phase most people go through use any beard oil with Jojoba, almond or coconut oils as the base these oils will best be absorbed by your skin the other ingredient you want to see if Vitamin E oil anything else is just window dressing. You can also just buy any of the base oils and vit E oil to it ad bobs your uncle cheap oil.

When your beard is long enough to brush you will want to work in the oil with daily with your hands and then brush it straight down with a boars hair or synthetic beard brush this will give the best control over your beard if like me it natural does not grow straight and thick.

Once established you can continue to use beard oil ,wax or balm to keep it feeling soft and keep the skin moisturized or if you don't feel your skin needs it you can stop its all upto you but it will feel softer and nicer with a good product.

You can just wash with regular hair Shampo but there are also a number of great washes out there that will make you beard hair more manageable. My routine if every day beard Shampo (or special beard soap) and then in winter I use a specialized beard revival product.

Specific recommendations:

Oils and Waxes:
Naked Detroit Beard balm (black tin)
First Olympian oils (really fancy stuff if you can find it)
Make your own oil or wax (bees wax for the wax base)
there is lots of reasonable priced oils on amazon just look for ones with the good based and vit EStyling products

Layrite super hold if you want to twirl the stash
Billy jealousy Bead control for those time sin between cut when its looking a little straggly

Shampoo / Soap
Anything by Blue Beard
Smokey mountain or honest Amish beard soaps

An find a place to have it trimmed professionally and go there once in a while. If you can find a proper barber were their facial hair looks like this and goes cut throat go there its extremely relaxing:

attachment.php

Inky Steve: From the barbers I visit when in Manchester

At the end of the day its your beard play around with products and use what you like not everyone needs them just find a routine and what works and stick with it.

Thanks Two50noob - great reply with lots of good information and advice. I'll research the stuff you said. I appreciate the time you took to write all that. Will get looking for a barber now - they may be few and far between out my way. It's probably worth the time to travel for this though. I hear people can get quite attached to a trusted barber.

I hear people can get quite attached to a trusted barber.

Play your cards right, it becomes a part of the well lived life. You don't want to get hooked up with a generic Haircrafters bimbo.

According to the chart, what I have had off and on through the years, which I always referred to as a "goatee", is actually a "circle beard". I have had the goatee as well, grew it quite long, mostly because my wife hated it ?. I tried the full beard. Then trimmed it to long stubble. Too much work for me. I now mostly sport the "soul patch". My brother went and got laser done on his face and neck, so when he doesn't shave for a few days, it's a perfectly groomed stubbke beard.
Back to the OP, there have been a few products on Dragon's Den and Shark Tank that have been beard oriented. You should have a look there as well. But if the local guy works out, even better.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Ha! But what did the ladies think? You go from a proud lion to an orangutan - must have broken the hearts of women everywhere, yes?

It was quite the change when you've had several decades of facial hair. I hardly recognized myself in the mirror for the first few days - it was like an out of body experience once or twice.

And I'm way beyond the caring what the ladies think....I've been married for 16 years. ;)

I did grow it back though. It grows back so fast I could shave on a Saturday and have it mostly back by the following Saturday if I wanted.

I went unshaven (just cleaned the neck and cheeks) for all of December for the first time in my life. Mine doesn't grow in too thick, but close enough. I think the itching died down somewhere around the 2-3 week checkpoint. I found using hair shampoo/conditioner helped a lot.

I didn't use it, but I know Jojoba oil is an amazing skin/hair moisturizer. A lot of beard oil's use that as a primary ingredient. It's cheap enough that it's worth a shot. Makes an excellent aftershave if you go back to shaving too.

Back
Top Bottom