Beards | GTAMotorcycle.com

Beards

DECIMIS

Got a beard? What product do you use on it, and where do you get it?

I'm two weeks in, trying to grow a full beard and dealing with dry skin. Normal moisturizer doesn't seem to rub into the skin, just slimes-up the facial hair.

Went to Shopper Drug Mart looking for "beard oil" and they had no such product.

Got a beard, don't do anything other than trim it occasionally and wash it with the same soap that I wash my face with. No issues with dry skin.

I don't use anything special myself, but you can buy such products at the Toronto Barber Supply shop - NW corner of Bay/Dundas.

Got a beard, don't do anything other than trim it occasionally and wash it with the same soap that I wash my face with. No issues with dry skin.
This is the right answer.

What's the goal? How big you going?
Hipster? Lumberjack? Taliban recruit? Homeless man? Or Viking?

Never used any product for the beard, just washed it like I do my hair. Your face gets used to it. It'll toughen up.

I grow out to two weeks, sometimes three max just to be lazy from shaving. Last three winters I use Zims Crack Creme for split out door work hands. I rub it into my face too. I am now comfortable in my own skin.

I just wash mine with my hair in the shower. Shampoo, conditioner.

The itching your feeling is your face getting used to all that new female attention.

Got a beard? What product do you use on it, and where do you get it?

I'm two weeks in, trying to grow a full beard and dealing with dry skin. Normal moisturizer doesn't seem to rub into the skin, just slimes-up the facial hair.

Went to Shopper Drug Mart looking for "beard oil" and they had no such product.

What "Normal moisturizer" are you using?

drink more water, dry skin is often the first sign you need more moisture from the inside out. I just wash my beard with the same shampoo I use on my head.

I bought Apothecary 87. It didn't really seem to do anything except smell weird. My wife and kids don't like it because they say I smell like an old man. I do notice a lot of dandruff when I don't use it, so I'm going to make my own soon.

I've had various arrangements of facial hair for nearing ~30 years now.

Add to me to the "Just trim it now and then, nothing more" club.

Last summer I shaved it all off for ***** and giggles and was clean shaven for the first time in those nearly 30 years. THAT was weird - I hadn't felt my upper lip since I was about 14. My teens did quadruple-takes when they saw me for the first time, brain overload...recognize but didn't recognize type thing. ;)

This is the right answer.

What's the goal? How big you going?
Hipster? Lumberjack? Taliban recruit? Homeless man? Or Viking?

Never used any product for the beard, just washed it like I do my hair. Your face gets used to it. It'll toughen up.

I just wash mine with my hair in the shower. Shampoo, conditioner.

The itching your feeling is your face getting used to all that new female attention.

I wish I had the facial fortitude of you manly-men! I've been using Head-and-Shoulders shampoo on it, as it works for my head. While having some positive effect, there is definitely room for improvement.

I think the fact it's also winter doesn't help. My skin is more dry now than the summer for sure.

According to this guide, I'd be going for the "Bandholz" (bottom right).

Hipster? Lumberjack? Taliban recruit? Homeless man? Or Viking? Are those are the same beards, just what clothes do you wear?

Mens-Beard-Guide-Infographic-Real-Men-Real-Style-700.jpg

Everyone skin is different but when you are first growing a beard the itch is a phase most people go through use any beard oil with Jojoba, almond or coconut oils as the base these oils will best be absorbed by your skin the other ingredient you want to see if Vitamin E oil anything else is just window dressing. You can also just buy any of the base oils and vit E oil to it ad bobs your uncle cheap oil.

When your beard is long enough to brush you will want to work in the oil with daily with your hands and then brush it straight down with a boars hair or synthetic beard brush this will give the best control over your beard if like me it natural does not grow straight and thick.

Once established you can continue to use beard oil ,wax or balm to keep it feeling soft and keep the skin moisturized or if you don't feel your skin needs it you can stop its all upto you but it will feel softer and nicer with a good product.

You can just wash with regular hair Shampo but there are also a number of great washes out there that will make you beard hair more manageable. My routine if every day beard Shampo (or special beard soap) and then in winter I use a specialized beard revival product.

Specific recommendations:

Oils and Waxes:
Naked Detroit Beard balm (black tin)
First Olympian oils (really fancy stuff if you can find it)
Make your own oil or wax (bees wax for the wax base)
there is lots of reasonable priced oils on amazon just look for ones with the good based and vit EStyling products

Layrite super hold if you want to twirl the stash
Billy jealousy Bead control for those time sin between cut when its looking a little straggly

Shampoo / Soap
Anything by Blue Beard
Smokey mountain or honest Amish beard soaps

An find a place to have it trimmed professionally and go there once in a while. If you can find a proper barber were their facial hair looks like this and goes cut throat go there its extremely relaxing:

attachment.php

Inky Steve: From the barbers I visit when in Manchester

At the end of the day its your beard play around with products and use what you like not everyone needs them just find a routine and what works and stick with it.

Attachments

• 08840eaf30a4fcc5dfec3040c7a0ea84.jpg
    08840eaf30a4fcc5dfec3040c7a0ea84.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
At the January show i used the following product on my beard... The oil and the balm... Definitely felt a difference

https://shop.alwaysbearded.com/prod...aysbearded.com/beard-care/&variant=1056927159

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I don't use anything special myself, but you can buy such products at the Toronto Barber Supply shop - NW corner of Bay/Dundas.

I found a guy in Cobourg "Humble Jack" (https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/HumbleJack)

Contacted him through Facebook last night and he's going to personally deliver me some product this afternoon! What service, and a local as well. Pretty stoked to give my beard some love!

That product you linked sounds like some premium product. If Humble Jack doesn't work out, I'll give that a shot. Thanks, much appreciated! :)

I found a guy in Cobourg "Humble Jack" (https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/HumbleJack)

Contacted him through Facebook last night and he's going to personally deliver me some product this afternoon! What service, and a local as well. Pretty stoked to give my beard some love!

That product you linked sounds like some premium product. If Humble Jack doesn't work out, I'll give that a shot. Thanks, much appreciated! :)

I hear good things about humbles balm.

I grow out to two weeks, sometimes three max just to be lazy from shaving. Last three winters I use Zims Crack Creme for split out door work hands. I rub it into my face too. I am now comfortable in my own skin.

Am I being lazy too? That is the hot gossip around the water-cooler at work. I think their is a betting pool going on, with an over-under wager. No one has said this directly to me, but every single person wants to talk to me about my new beard.

People who haven't said "hello" to me in a decade now chat me up like childhood friends.

Zims Crack Cream - you sure that's for your face? Where you growing your beard?! :D

drink more water, dry skin is often the first sign you need more moisture from the inside out. I just wash my beard with the same shampoo I use on my head.

I drink a lot of water, constantly have some on the go. Learned long ago to do this, just feel way better in general. I never get headaches, but visit the toilet so frequently people think something must be going on in there...

I bought Apothecary 87. It didn't really seem to do anything except smell weird. My wife and kids don't like it because they say I smell like an old man. I do notice a lot of dandruff when I don't use it, so I'm going to make my own soon.

Please share you home-brew experience! This beard oil isn't cheap. Looking forward to your updates!

I've had various arrangements of facial hair for nearing ~30 years now.

Add to me to the "Just trim it now and then, nothing more" club.

Last summer I shaved it all off for ***** and giggles and was clean shaven for the first time in those nearly 30 years. THAT was weird - I hadn't felt my upper lip since I was about 14. My teens did quadruple-takes when they saw me for the first time, brain overload...recognize but didn't recognize type thing. ;)

Ha! But what did the ladies think? You go from a proud lion to an orangutan - must have broken the hearts of women everywhere, yes?
lion-05.jpg

oc-image-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom