Opinions: Champion 2000W Inverter Generator | GTAMotorcycle.com

Opinions: Champion 2000W Inverter Generator

JoeyB

Site Supporter
Yeah or nay? It's on sale next week for $650.

:thumbup:, quiet, 15-1600 running watts, light ish, stackable,

Do it! I've had mine for 3 years now and no issues.

I change the oil once a year and use ethanol free fuel only.

I had 2 at one point. I was a consumer beta tester for Champion when they were first introduced to the market, but that was some time ago.

They had some minor issues in the very early models (throttle hunting) but I'm confident that's history - my later model second unit never suffered from it.

Great units. Only complaint was that they couldn't equal the surge output of an EU200i (Honda). My eu2000 could fire off the roof AC unit on my trailer, but one single Champ 2000 couldn't do it reliably, kinking off into overload about 50% of the time after the compressor cycled back on. It was a real crapshoot. When I upgraded to 2 of them with the parallel kit it wasn't an issue anymore obviously, but that's a bigger cost and space commitment vs a single eu2000i in the end.

So, really depends on what you're going to be using it for - heavy surge loads, or not?

Other than that, great units. Again, not *quite* as quiet as a eu2000i, but a hell of a lot cheaper, and track day vs campground (where noise is more of a concern with a campground) I can't imagine that'll be an issue.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
I realize the Champion is not as quiet as the Honda or Yamaha but I figure so long as it's a reliable unit it should be good enough for my needs at track days this coming season.

I have the Champion 5500W that's on sale at TSC for $650. Had it for two years now no issue. I use it as a backup for when the house power goes out and it's wired into my fuse box. Runs the furnace, all the lights, tv, computer, 2 fridges and 2 freezers, and two or three burners on the stove. Easy to start and I'm really impressed with it for the money. Downside, yeah, it's noisy.

All the track guys I know with them have had no issues and they are substantially cheaper than the Honda or Yamaha inverters.
Yeah me too. Wish it was around when I paid over twice that for my yamaha

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
I realize the Champion is not as quiet as the Honda or Yamaha but I figure so long as it's a reliable unit it should be good enough for my needs at track days this coming season.

If you can close your eyes and tell a difference between the two running under load your hearing is better then mine and many others. They're plenty quite and head and shoulders above a regular rattlebox genny.

We used the 3000 watt all last year with no issues outside of it running out of fuel and I not knowing because I couldn't hear it when it was running either.

We used the 3000 watt all last year with no issues outside of it running out of fuel and I not knowing because I couldn't hear it when it was running either.

What kind of run time would you get from a full tank of fuel?

I had the 3000W champion (the nice camo-one that was on sale last year for $3XX.xx).
I don't remember running out of gas before wrapping up a day and fully re-fueling.
So fully day on the warmers at least.
Very happy with the unit - starts easily and no issues. Quieter then I expected (but not quiet like the 2000 or the Hondas).

Another good genni was the coleman powermate's (similar to the champion 2000W with the plastic sides making it quieter).
Sold it a few years back and wish I didn't (can't seem to find them anymore). Never had an issue with it other than replacing spark plug after couple seasons (of course with regular oil changes and up-keep).

I had the 3000W champion (the nice camo-one that was on sale last year for $3XX.xx).
I don't remember running out of gas before wrapping up a day and fully re-fueling.
So fully day on the warmers at least.
Very happy with the unit - starts easily and no issues. Quieter then I expected (but not quiet like the 2000 or the Hondas).

Another good genni was the coleman powermate's (similar to the champion 2000W with the plastic sides making it quieter).
Sold it a few years back and wish I didn't (can't seem to find them anymore). Never had an issue with it other than replacing spark plug after couple seasons (of course with regular oil changes and up-keep).

I think the generators you're referring to aren't the inverter type. The one caboose is asking about is the newer bigger champion.

With 2 sets of warmers it would last all day. With attempts at 3 sets she would carry them all as long as I didn't start them all at the same time but it would run dry @ 6 hours.

Edit: 1 set 3 stage chicken hawks, 1 set Bickle Chinese, 1 set Bickle Standard

What kind of run time would you get from a full tank of fuel?

Last edited:
I think the generators you're referring to aren't the inverter type. The one caboose is asking about is the newer bigger champion.

That is correct. They are a bit under $1000 new.

With 2 sets of warmers it would last all day. With attempts at 3 sets she would carry them all as long as I didn't start them all at the same time but it would run dry @ 6 hours.

Edit: 1 set 3 stage chicken hawks, 1 set Bickle Chinese, 1 set Bickle Standard

All day is good. I'd likely only be running one set plus trailer stuff.

Picked one up this morning. Little thing is heavier than it looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom