Buying a bike in Quebec . . . am I missing anything? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying a bike in Quebec . . . am I missing anything?

So I called the dealership back after discussing what this says:

"The sale of a road vehicle is taxable. However, the QST does not apply in the following situations:
  • The supplier ships the vehicle outside Québec.
  • The supplier transfers possession of the vehicle to a common carrier or to a consignee that has been hired to ship it to a destination outside Québec."
http://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/entre...s/casparticuliers/venteexpediehorsquebec.aspx

His reply was that, it only applies if the shipper is a "broker". I asked him to explain what qualifies as a broker and of course he had none. He said the dealerships that have been not charging the QST are simply not concerned about being audited later.

I'm gonna call revenue Quebec tomorrow and try to get a straight answer. I'm 99% sure the dealership is just being difficult.

I just talked to my buddy who bought a bike brand new from a dealership out of Montreal. He said :

- Paid for the bike in full
- Set up the insurance
- Rode the VIA up to MTL
- The dealers already had the bike plated with QC ownership ready to go.
- He DID NOT pay any QC QST taxes since it was export immediately.
- With the QC ownership and Bill of Sale from the QC Dealer he went to the MTO and registered the bike and paid his HST here in Ontario

Check with the dealership ...you can't be the first person they ever sold a bike to that was from Ontario.

Last edited:
So I called the dealership back after discussing what this says:

"The sale of a road vehicle is taxable. However, the QST does not apply in the following situations:
  • The supplier ships the vehicle outside Québec.
  • The supplier transfers possession of the vehicle to a common carrier or to a consignee that has been hired to ship it to a destination outside Québec."
http://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/entre...s/casparticuliers/venteexpediehorsquebec.aspx

His reply was that, it only applies if the shipper is a "broker". I asked him to explain what qualifies as a broker and of course he had none. He said the dealerships that have been not charging the QST are simply not concerned about being audited later.

I'm gonna call revenue Quebec tomorrow and try to get a straight answer. I'm 99% sure the dealership is just being difficult.

maybe that's their way of trying to show they are selling the bike at a lower price to you then adding QST and keeping that money.

Isn't Supplier = Seller = Dealer?

My understanding is that the dealer collects the taxes to give them to the government on your behalf when they register the bike for you and get the plates, which they don't be doing in your case because they are just giving you the bill of sale and you will register it in Ontario, but hey when it comes to Quebec and Vehicle sales....anything is possible...lol

I recommend calling Revenue Quebec to confirm and let us know.

Last edited:
I believe you stated earlier there was a procedure to delay paying the QST.
How about using that option.
With the bike in Ontario, you could delay it for 20 or 30 years

I'm just curious ... is there any particular reason you are stuck on this 1 dealer ? There are many dealers in Montreal, why not just call a different one that has the same bike and see what they say ?

They have a good price going on a model I'm interested in. There aren't many of them around it seems.

I'm just curious ... is there any particular reason you are stuck on this 1 dealer ? There are many dealers in Montreal, why not just call a different one that has the same bike and see what they say ?

what bike is it ? i find most dealers are willing to negotiate so you'll probably find a dealer willing to work whatever that price is and be more 'workable' with you ... no ?

They have a good price going on a model I'm interested in. There aren't many of them around it seems.

A Tuono. Actually I came to a decision today. I don't feel like I need to work this hard to buy a bike for the minimal discount I'm getting. The dealership is far enough away that savings will end up being minimal. Plus it also made me realize **** it, I'm gonna get the 2016 1100 VR with the new 1077cc engine, lower seat height, complimentary front end geometry changes, etc. And can you believe this? The wife totally agrees. She wants to ride it to. Luckiest man alive right here.

what bike is it ? i find most dealers are willing to negotiate so you'll probably find a dealer willing to work whatever that price is and be more 'workable' with you ... no ?

A Tuono. Actually I came to a decision today. I don't feel like I need to work this hard to buy a bike for the minimal discount I'm getting. The dealership is far enough away that savings will end up being minimal. Plus it also made me realize **** it, I'm gonna get the 2016 1100 VR with the new 1077cc engine, lower seat height, complimentary front end geometry changes, etc. And can you believe this? The wife totally agrees. She wants to ride it to. Luckiest man alive right here.
Corsa meccanica

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Got a bit of a snobbish impression from them. Literally said, we're in the biggest city in Canada, we don't have to bargain. Wheelsport and Two Wheel are in tiny markets and have to bargain just to move product. Plus they don't have what I'm looking for in stock so it's a moot point. They only have 2 "Factory" models in stock and I'm looking for the 1100 RR. And Two Wheel is $500+ for no apparent reason for the same bike compared to Wheelsport. So right now I'm leaning towards Wheelsport.

Corsa meccanica

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

So what about a private sale of a used bike from Quebec. I'm looking to do this in the Spring.

-Get VIN ahead of time, get a UVIP for the vehicle from Ontario (Do I need to do a check in Quebec, and if so, through who?)
-Add it to my insurance coverage
-Drive to Montreal & trailer it back with the signed over Quebec ownership
-Get it safetied here
-Take the proof of insurance, bill of sale and ownership to MTO, pay Ontario GST, and get an MTO based ownership

Is there anything I need to do with SAAQ about de-registering it in Quebec, or is that the seller's problem?

Nothing wrong with private sale. I just haven't seen many Tuonos.

So what about a private sale of a used bike from Quebec. I'm looking to do this in the Spring.
-Get VIN ahead of time, get a UVIP for the vehicle from Ontario (Do I need to do a check in Quebec, and if so, through who?)
-Add it to my insurance coverage
-Drive to Montreal & trailer it back with the signed over Quebec ownership
-Get it safetied here
-Take the proof of insurance, bill of sale and ownership to MTO, pay Ontario GST, and get an MTO based ownership

Is there anything I need to do with SAAQ about de-registering it in Quebec, or is that the seller's problem?

Back
Top Bottom