Buying a bike in Quebec . . . am I missing anything? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying a bike in Quebec . . . am I missing anything?

Paulo M.

Interested in buying a bike in Quebec. Did as much research as I could, just wanted to run it by someone that might have done it before. The dealership is Rock MotoSport. Seems to be a large powersports dealer. Claims they sold the bike new to an owner at the beginning of the 2015 season and he traded it back in for something with less power (will provide documentation). And I have two options, either have it shipped for $400ish back to me in the GTA, or they'll hold it for me for a $1500 non-refundable deposit until the spring when I can ride it back myself.

Either option, Pre-Sale:
-Get VIN ahead of time, get a UVIP for the vehicle from Ontario (I should see one from the dealer for Quebec at point of sale I believe)

If I ship it:
Add it to my insurance coverage
Take the proof of insurance, bill of sale and ownership to MTO and pay Ontario GST, they then take my SAAQ issued ownership and issue me an MTO based ownership
While at MTO get a temporary plate
Take temporary plated bike to shop for safety and potentially etest
Go back to MTO with safety and etest if required to have permanent plate issued.
After paying Ontario GST, fill out paperwork for reimbursement of Quebec GST

If I ride it back:
Add it to my insurance coverage
Provide proof of coverage to dealership so they can plate it with a Quebec temporary plate
I ride it back to Ontario, get it safetied and potentially etested
Go to MTO pay Ontario GST, they then take my SAAQ issued ownership and issue me an MTO based ownership, and issue a permanent Ontario plate
After paying Ontario GST, fill out paperwork for reimbursement of Quebec GST

Am I missing anything?

just want to point out that there's no e-testing on any motorcycle ...

When I bought a bike in Quebec I had to go with the previous owners to the SAAQ to transfer ownership.

Since I'm buying from a dealership, I believe they will handle the paperwork for the SAAQ and I pay the QST to them and they take care of it.

When I bought a bike in Quebec I had to go with the previous owners to the SAAQ to transfer ownership.

Since I'm buying from a dealership, I believe they will handle the paperwork for the SAAQ and I pay the QST to them and they take care of it.

I thought you don't pay QST if you are exporting it to Ontario ...

otherwise your paying double sales tax ... ?

Yes, my understanding is, you must pay QST first. Then when you register it with MTO and pay GST in Ontario, you then fill out paperwork to be reimbursed for the QST from Quebec.

I thought you don't pay QST if you are exporting it to Ontario ...

otherwise your paying double sales tax ... ?

I believe you file a qst rebate after you register in Ontario

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Would you be able to get it shipped to a shop for the safety check? This way you could save the temp fee.

That's a good idea. Except the MTO temp plate is $15 so the shop would have to charge less than that to receive the bike for me. Not sure how likely that is.

Would you be able to get it shipped to a shop for the safety check? This way you could save the temp fee.

Claims they sold the bike new to an owner at the beginning of the 2015 season and he traded it back in for something with less power (will provide documentation).

Am I missing anything?

Hopefully he didn't crash it 2-3 times before realizing it was too much of a machine for him. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only thing you may want to check is that the Quebec temporary plate is actually a transit plate that allows you to ride from point a to point b which is usually a SAQ approved service centre. At least that was the way it was back a few years ago when I had to have a bike inspected after a number of years in storage. The transit plate may have a km limit as well as a 5 day validity period.

Just wanted to add one more thing, if it is still a transit plate and you are pulled over by the SQ (Security Quebec Gestapo) and not on a direct route between point a and point b then they can either impound the bike, or give you a fine or both. They are the worst and they hate bikes.

I just talked to my buddy who bought a bike brand new from a dealership out of Montreal. He said :

- Paid for the bike in full
- Set up the insurance
- Rode the VIA up to MTL
- The dealers already had the bike plated with QC ownership ready to go.
- He DID NOT pay any QC QST taxes since it was export immediately.
- With the QC ownership and Bill of Sale from the QC Dealer he went to the MTO and registered the bike and paid his HST here in Ontario

Check with the dealership ...you can't be the first person they ever sold a bike to that was from Ontario.

excellent info.

On a private sale of my CBF1000

Owner rode the bike to Canadian Tire in Ottawa where it was certified.
He went with me to the Ontario MOT and we transferred the ownership and I paid the HST

Just a note....with old stock running out...this is the time to make deals....many of the remaining last year or older machines are on the books when the Cdn dollar was high.

Sticker shock on new stock going to be considerable.

Other option would be to trailer it or toss it in a van for the trip home, it avoids having to temp plate it to get out of quebec. also you could go get it now!

From what I can tell, whether the dealership will let you get away with not paying the QST varies from dealership to dealership. Many have tried this, and were forced to pay first and get reimbursed afterwards. Trust me I wish it were that straight forward.

Any tips on how to get the dealership to work with you on the QST?

The closest I got was this:

http://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/entre...s/casparticuliers/venteexpediehorsquebec.aspx

And it seems like if I have them ship it I can use that to defer paying the QST.

I just talked to my buddy who bought a bike brand new from a dealership out of Montreal. He said :

- Paid for the bike in full
- Set up the insurance
- Rode the VIA up to MTL
- The dealers already had the bike plated with QC ownership ready to go.
- He DID NOT pay any QC QST taxes since it was export immediately.
- With the QC ownership and Bill of Sale from the QC Dealer he went to the MTO and registered the bike and paid his HST here in Ontario

Check with the dealership ...you can't be the first person they ever sold a bike to that was from Ontario.

Last edited:
I don't have a tow rig. Renting a van to drive it that distance will be multiple times more than paying them to ship it. And temp plates are cheap relatively.

Other option would be to trailer it or toss it in a van for the trip home, it avoids having to temp plate it to get out of quebec. also you could go get it now!

Interesting ... though I have no idea about to 'get a dealer to work with you' ... I can only tell you this is what he told me he experienced...

However if we do some quick math and add the VIA cost to fuel for the bike we'd get :

-- VIA (just looked it up) cheapest 1 way ticket if you left Saturday morning is $89+tax
-- Fuel ~ lets say you burn 5L / 100km @ 541km you'd need 27.05 L @ assumed $1.00/L that's only $27 in fuel

Total of $116 to go get it yourself versus say its $400 to ship it down here.

-->> I guess you'd have to figure if the $284 in ship cost "premium" is worth the added wait time to get the QST back.

Thinking more about this, if you were to assign the 'headache cost' as say $50 then your still left with $234 in premium cost.

The train travel time to get up there is approximately 7 hours ... 6 hours to get back plus say 2 hours of paperwork time at the dealership then its a 15 hour day. So is your 'time' that day worth $15.60 per hour to go 'get' your bike or not ... ?

From what I can tell, whether the dealership will let you get away with not paying the QST varies from dealership to dealership. Many have tried this, and were forced to pay first and get reimbursed afterwards. Trust me I wish it were that straight forward.

Any tips on how to get the dealership to work with you on the QST?

The closest I got was this:

http://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/entre...s/casparticuliers/venteexpediehorsquebec.aspx

And it seems like if I have them ship it I can use that to defer paying the QST.

Back
Top Bottom