Concerts | GTAMotorcycle.com

Concerts

jc100

Bit of a rant:

I like live music. Love going to concerts but the last few years, unless I've been lucky, I've avoided going because I refuse to pay scalper level prices to what seems to be sanctioned, organised scalping outlets. I've been going to more independent concerts instead.

For instance there's a Florence and the Machine concert in Montreal (and Toronto too...dates are better in Montreal) that looks pretty neat and good tickets are widely available on StubHub which is owned by Ticketmaster, but at twice the price of the Ticketmaster tickets, which has a poor selection.

What's up with that? I thought the government stepped in to sort this kind of crap out?

Drives me nuts.

My coworker who is much my junior and I went to the Prince concert last year. His brother and wife were supposed to meet us there. Something happened and we had 2 extra tickets. This kid despises scalpers so much that he refused to sell the extra tickets to them and took the hit on the tickets. Fwiw they were face value of 100, and we offered them to people looking for 75 and they bypassed us and went and paid 2-3x to the scalpers!

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Bit of a rant:

I like live music. Love going to concerts but the last few years, unless I've been lucky, I've avoided going because I refuse to pay scalper level prices to what seems to be sanctioned, organised scalping outlets. I've been going to more independent concerts instead.

For instance there's a Florence and the Machine concert in Montreal (and Toronto too...dates are better in Montreal) that looks pretty neat and good tickets are widely available on StubHub which is owned by Ticketmaster, but at twice the price of the Ticketmaster tickets, which has a poor selection.

What's up with that? I thought the government stepped in to sort this kind of crap out?

Drives me nuts.

Nah, there's just some online petitions for the US government to step in. But why would you use StubHub to begin with? Unless you only want first row, middle, and/or floor. Usually you can at least find 200 level tickets day of sale. Some presales are decent too.
Just to add, yes I do think it's not fair scalpers get almost all of the good seats.

Killing Joke cancelled. Not happy.

Nah, there's just some online petitions for the US government to step in. But why would you use StubHub to begin with? Unless you only want first row, middle, and/or floor. Usually you can at least find 200 level tickets day of sale. Some presales are decent too.
Just to add, yes I do think it's not fair scalpers get almost all of the good seats.

its not just primo seats Stub Hub has...it has a massive amount of tickets in even the tier down etc. Compare that to ticketmaster which has a few in the nosebleeds.

its not just primo seats Stub Hub has...it has a massive amount of tickets in even the tier down etc. Compare that to ticketmaster which has a few in the nosebleeds.

Ticketmaster is a great scapegoat to pass venue charges through to the end customer, so the band/performer looks like they have no part in it. This has been going on for years and why ticketmaster is the official seller to a lot of concerts. What also sucks is the automated scripts scalpers run to buy bulks of tickets ahead of time and resell. Gone are the days of waiting in an actual line for a ticket that's at a ticket booth.

Anyway, I've had good success on the secondary market. My piss off with some concerts is too many cell phones recording the damn stage when I'm trying to enjoy the show.

obligatory "Get off my lawn!"

i gave up trying to go to concerts in Toronto long ago, the good seats seem to have always been sold out before going on sale there.

I did manage to seem some groups in their formative years when they played smaller places like Yonge Station and the Gasworks in my youth.

I just downright refuse to support a secondary market, but I can understand why primary sellers would get into such a lucrative business, when they have a lock on so many tickets. It's like a license to print money.

To me the bands using them are selling their fans out, and I can't support that either.

Small venue is wheres it at. Get to see the singers face. A fraction of the price. Of course when they don't have a new release

Once I stopped getting paid to work concerts, I stopped going. Paying a fortune for crap *** seats in a venue that sounds terrible just doesn't work for me. One of these years, I will stop being cheap and see something at Massey hall.

From my personal experience, I've been mostly able to obtain tickets from the original source, not the scalpers. You just have to know the date they start going on sale. If I sleep on it, then places like Stubhub or scalpers are my punishment. At least the artist still gets the money either way.

I have also been looking for smaller concerts though. Not just the price but the fact that more intimate venues really appeal to me. So much easier with Youtube nowadays, when you can get a scoop on musicians you've never heard of before.

Last concert I attended was Basia Bulat in Guelph and that was really good. Very talented person. I highly recommend.

I've changed the type of venues I prefer now as the interest of huge crowds listening to poor sound quality events is not appealing. Usually I just go to TSO, Sony Centre, RCM now.

Once I stopped getting paid to work concerts, I stopped going. Paying a fortune for crap *** seats in a venue that sounds terrible just doesn't work for me. One of these years, I will stop being cheap and see something at Massey hall.

Still better then paying $100 a seat MINIMUM if you're lucky to watch one of the worst teams in the NHL getting a beatdown.

Back
Top Bottom