Shipping Motorcycle from Toronto, CA to London, UK | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shipping Motorcycle from Toronto, CA to London, UK

To a point ...ideally is a bike already sold there ....I suspect the imprt for personal use is pretty loose given Eu influence on the vehicle market.

To a point ...ideally is a bike already sold there ....I suspect the imprt for personal use is pretty loose given Eu influence on the vehicle market.

Question though: is the bike that OP is shipping, EU compliant? (I think Riceburner spoke to the MPH vs KM/H) but what about their emission standards? what about the 5lb rear plate he'll need to attach?

Well Brits are MPH and EU KPH and most bikes it's push and hold a couple of buttons to change. Again personal machines brought over when moving are likely to be less up for regulation -- he likely has to get a roadworthy test where ever
Given the currency discrepancy some efoort is justified and the Air Canada deal is a good one.

Do recall Europe is a very diverse marketplace and most trade barriers are down. A big 4 bike is likely no issue and neither is a licence if the OP has a full M.

If not tho ...them he's in Learner bike regs and THAT is a problem.

Last edited:
What makes you think a personal vehicle being brought over during a move would be subject to different inspections and regulations than any other import?

That's over $10k Cdn. - can't understand why anyone would want to live in the UK.

I think if i didn't have my family here, i would be moving back. First time living here for 30 years I've thought that........

As far as the Bike is concerned will be subject to a yearly safety/MOT inspection. MOT is a lot more thorough than a rosey toes visual, not sure how it's like nowadays but if you have a fender eliminator and some of those little led lights instead of proper turn signal you won't be getting a pass either. Bike will really have to be in tip top shape.

I'm from England, moved here 10 years ago so thought I'd mention a few points (which were valid when I left 10 years ago):

- My UK bike license did not transfer to Ontario, only the car part was a direct transfer, I'm not sure if the same applies for you moving to the UK or not
- If your bike license doesn't transfer you can do a 3 day intensive course then take your bike test (or even just take your test but you are on LH side of the road now) & if you pass, there are NO restrictions on you but the test is pretty tough.
- VAT is not payable over & above the purchase price, unlike the Canadian system in England the price you see is the price you pay, if a bike is £4000, you pay £4000.
- MOT test is annual & is thorough - you cannot get your tax disc (like our sticker here) or have insurance without a valid MOT certificate - not sure if there are different requirements for an import - it must be possible to do though as there are lots of imported bikes & American LH drive performance cars on UK roads.
- You cannot legally ride your bike on an English road without all 4 items: MOT, tax & insurance & a valid license.
- Speed cameras suck & they are everywhere, even variable speed units that track you over distance now, I got speeding tickets when I went back last year to visit family.
- If I moved back to the UK (& I am currently considering that move myself) I would sell my track bike (& road bike if I had one) & buy again over there, but that's just my personal opinion

Not sure if that lot helps or not ;)

- If I moved back to the UK (& I am currently considering that move myself) I would sell my track bike (& road bike if I had one) & buy again over there, but that's just my personal opinion

Have you checked relative prices recently with the Cdn dollar versus £.??

Have you checked relative prices recently with the Cdn dollar versus £.??

I check the exchange rate all the time, I have this argument all the time with my ex-wife who is still in the UK, but as someone else said earlier you will be earning £'s (not $Cdn) at that point if you are living there.
If its a bike you are "attached" to you may feel its worth shipping over, for a run of the mill machine would it really be worth it once you take into account shipping fees, any work that may or may not be required to get the bike through the MOT, possible increased insurance costs due to the bike being a North American import etc.

Only the OP can ultimately decide what will work for him in his personal situation.

OP, what's the bike? (maybe I missed it)

We talking Desmosedicci? or Kawi Versys?

OP, what's the bike? (maybe I missed it)

We talking Desmosedicci? or Kawi Versys?

Based on his past posts, it looks like a 2014 ZX6R. Doesn't seem worth the hassle/cost, but that's just me.

Just had a look at AutoTrader UK & a 2014 ZX6R averages around just over £6000.
Also looked on Kijiji & there's one 2014 on there for $10,200Cdn (reduced from $13,000).
If you convert £6000 to Cdn its $12,100 so yea, there's a $1,900 difference but then you have shipping fees to get the bike to the UK & then you have to get it through the MOT & then insure it as a Canadian import so you may break even by bringing your own bike but if this a permanent move you also have to think if the re-sale value of a Canadian import is different for a UK bike of the same age & make, not sure if it is or not.
Ok, not a great study by any means but its a start ;)

Based on his past posts, it looks like a 2014 ZX6R. Doesn't seem worth the hassle/cost, but that's just me.

Just had a look at AutoTrader UK & a 2014 ZX6R averages around just over £6000.
Also looked on Kijiji & there's one 2014 on there for $10,200Cdn (reduced from $13,000).
If you convert £6000 to Cdn its $12,100 so yea, there's a $1,900 difference but then you have shipping fees to get the bike to the UK & then you have to get it through the MOT & then insure it as a Canadian import so you may break even by bringing your own bike but if this a permanent move you also have to think if the re-sale value of a Canadian import is different for a UK bike of the same age & make, not sure if it is or not.
Ok, not a great study by any means but its a start ;)

Looks like the consensus is to sell it and buy there.

Excellent. Glad we solved that one. Carry on folks. Another job well done by GTAM.

If you're moving there for good, why not sell the bike here and buy another in the UK? They have a lot more choice and you won't have to deal with MOT with your "foreign" bike. For example the CDN version of mine has the speedo only in km/h while the US and Euro versions have it in both MPH and KM/H.

Well mine is a 2014; it also got KMS to MPH change just by pressing a few buttons. I'm actually very happy with my bike and want to keep it.
PS. I think if I sell it I lose more money than what I will end up spending on shipping...

Well I have the 2014 Kawasaki ZX6R. I don't think emission and other regulations would be a problem.
As I am migrating to the UK this will be considered as personal belonging: according to what I found out so far as I am moving my home to UK the following should apply:

[h=3]If you’re moving to the UK[/h]You don’t pay VAT or duty on a vehicle imported from outside the EU if you qualify for transfer of residence relief. To qualify you must meet all of these conditions:

• you’re moving your normal home to the UK
  • your normal home was outside the EU for a continuous period of at least 12 months
  • you’ve owned and used the vehicle for at least 6 months outside the EU
  • you didn’t get the vehicle under a duty-free or tax-free scheme
  • you’re going to keep the vehicle for your personal use for at least 12 months

I definitely need some more research. I'll keep posting any updates just in-case it may be helpful to someone else.

Back
Top Bottom