Legacy license . . . | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Legacy license . . .

I got my learners permit in 1986, it was valid for 365 days. I had to do an on road test to get my full M. This was in Ontario.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk
86? Weren't you like, 12?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Did mine in '80 , temp M after written test, road test required to get full M . Road test was on a closed course somewhere near the airport.
John Rhodes testing centre. Airport road south if Queen. Same setup as the Keele St one. Good times.

Did mine in '80 , temp M after written test, road test required to get full M . Road test was on a closed course somewhere near the airport.

1981 road test. Tester stood at the S/E corner of Upper James and Fennell. If you made it thru the intersection alive you were gold. Four years of unlicensed riding assured my success.

Keele street grad as well did early 90s on a 100 cc scooter.

Guy asked clutch? Don't have one he goes okay go around course.

I did it in January and you couldn't see any markings on road and guy hid in heated shack way across the course he couldn't see a thing.

Didn't bother to get my M back then, the car license overflow for Warden Ave, was a trailer on the corner of a corn field in Scarborough up near Lawrence and Midland I think.

What do you need to answer for the: "how long have you had your M license", question from insurance in the OP's case?

The restricted drivers abstract, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, will tell all. If there ever was a full M, it'll show. Launching point from there to pursue the matter if it actually ever existed.

While we are all dating ourselves, hehe, I got an M in 1991. Then I ran into some problems with the MOT in 2001 and had my licence suspended. When I got it back I was issued a GM2, which expired when I spent 6 years outside of Canada. I went through the graduated program pretty painlessly with MOT and Serco taking a little cash off me and, now, back to M.

i talked to a buddy recently about getting a bike and he does not like the idea of having to deal with the MOT to get his bike licence. If you want to play you have to go through the process...simple. If you want to fly a plane you need a licence, same for scuba diving, same for skydiving. Don't let latte administrative get in the way of future years of fun and memories!

i talked to a buddy recently about getting a bike and he does not like the idea of having to deal with the MOT to get his bike licence.

Tell him when he finds the secret to somehow avoid it to let us all know, I'm sure he could make a few bucks.

Do you still have any proof, documentation, receipts from the MOT from when you were M licensed? This would go far to proving your case. Otherwise you'll need to start on the graduated licensing system. I really cannot see how you can ride for 15 years without the proper license, got through interactions with so many cops, the MoT must have made some mistake and dropped your M.

pre computer files and careful watching you could slide stuff through the MTO and licensing mishaps happen. In the late 70's all you needed to drive a truck was a 'C' , chauffer license, which you got when your first drive test by answering dumb questions like how far behind a streetcar door to stop. You did the test in a car
When they introduced the A,D, AZ,DZ all you had to do was apply for a class change based on the truck you claimed to be driving. I went from a G to a D and never ever had the C. Mailed it in, they never checked. Had a Truck license for years.

86? Weren't you like, 12?

My bad. It was January 23 1989. Two days after my 16th birthday. Spent the rest of the season on an xl250. Good times.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Afraid you're gonna have to start from scratch again and get properly raped. You have to have uninterrupted motorcycle insurance in Ontario for > 6 years to get a decent raping. Keep this in mind all of you. If you sell your bike at year 3 and cancel your insurance, you have to start from the back of the bus all over again. The solution to this is to always keep a dirtbike or enduro that costs next to nothing insured building your 6 years. OP, if you don't remember a closed course road test by the airport, you only had your 365. If the insurance companies want to they can punish you for fraud (lying to an insurance company). I don't know how "I truly believed I had my license" will fly. Be careful with this as technically they can drop you and no insurance company will ever touch you. Your auto and house as well.

Last edited:
I know that my dad got his back in the mid 70's. In the early 80's he stopped riding to raise our family. But the important thing was that he continued to renew his motorcycle license even though he didn't ride. It cost him whatever the renewal fee was every so many years, but it kept his motorcycle license valid. If you let your motorcycle license expire somewhere along the line, you'll have to go back and do it all over again.

AFAIK the full M licence class doesn't require any maintenance/renewal...once you have it, you have it.

AFAIK the full M licence class doesn't require any maintenance/renewal...once you have it, you have it.

If you don't renew your expired license after 3 years, you'll need to take the G1 and G2 road tests over again. The G2 can be taken immediately after the G1, no waiting period.
If you don't renew your expired license after 10 years, you need to re-take all the tests (written and road) as if you are a new driver. That includes all waiting periods as if you were a new driver.

Aha, Expired licence as a whole, Ok, I was reading things wrong. The entire licence needs renewal, yes, but the actual M class itself just comes along for the ride so long as you keep it up, needing nothing special so long as you keep your actual licence intact as well.

My Dad got his motorcycle license in the 70's and he had to get a road test.

Sounds like your starting from scratch again. On the plus it might not be so bad to get a refresher after all these years. On the bad, well, grab some lube before you call the insurance.

Last edited:
Just a random autistic factoid: The motorcycle 365-day learners was Class R. At the time, my parents would have used my guts for garters if I had even mentioned I wanted to ride.

I got my full M licence in 1980, and I had to do a 5 block long road test in Elliot Lake ON. Still have it, but I've never ever lost my licence for anything.

edit: I believe it was $10. and for a side note, a fishing licence was free...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom