Legacy license . . . | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Legacy license . . .

Got mine on Airport Rd too in 1990,I was 16 and got my licence with my YSR50 and done in less then 10 minutes :D

Last edited:
Got mine in '84 at John Rhodes. As I recall it was a written test to get the "L" designation, which was a 90 day permit. Riding only permitted from a half hour before sunrise, to a half hour after sunset. No passengers. It gave you 90 days to practice so that you could then take the test for full "M" which involved riding slalom through cones, at low speed, then riding between the cones and braking, followed by an on-street test. A written test, only, would indicate no "M" license.

Mistakes with licenses classes and endorsements DO happen. The droids that work at the drivetest centers have carte-Blanche with your licence on their computer screens and a typo or stupid mistake can muck things up. I know a fellow driver who had his Z endorsement (air brakes) disappear once at his 5 year medical/renewal. The Z endorsement, like the M class, is forever - it should never go away so long as you still have a licence.

wrong - i have my Z and you HAVE to do a written test (20-30 moron questions) every other renewal to keep it.

wrong - i have my Z and you HAVE to do a written test (20-30 moron questions) every other renewal to keep it.

I just checked, and sure enough I stand corrected – I always thought that the airbrake related questions at my five year class A renewals were part of the class A portion of the test (based on the fact almost anything requiring a class A licence to operate is air braked), and the Z just came along for the ride.

I've never had anything lower than a class a license since getting my Z endorsement, so I've never experienced what would presumably be a standalone Z test at renewal.

I just checked, and sure enough I stand corrected – I always thought that the airbrake related questions at my five year class A renewals were part of the class A portion of the test (based on the fact almost anything requiring a class A licence to operate is air braked), and the Z just came along for the ride.

I've never had anything lower than a class a license since getting my Z endorsement, so I've never experienced what would presumably be a standalone Z test at renewal.

yes it is a bit confusing - and it was a surprise for me. i have the dz. and it is possible to have a gz for a street sweeper or such.

other oddball thing - people have taken 30 foot or longer fifth wheel horse trailers to get their A licence, and then do the course for the Z endorsement! Presto, you have a AZ. don't know if that loophole is now closed or not ...

Last edited:
I got mine in 80, before graduated driving. I moved to the US in 82, where I exchanged my licences for local licences. MTO cancelled my Ontario licences. When I returned, I had to do another licence exchange from California to Ontario. The car licence was convertible, the MC was not.

Despite having records that I had passed both, once cancelled they were not reinstatable.

I got my learners permit in 1986, it was valid for 365 days. I had to do an on road test to get my full M. This was in Ontario.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk
Same. Except it was 1981. I then handed my bike (1973 Kaw 900) over to my dad and he took and passed the test. My dad's first and last ride lol.

Just a side note: Any time you are dealing with the government check every detail of the documents before you leave the counter, s/n, class, endorsement, etc. It can be fixed then a lot easier than later. Doing it the next day might have to be coordinated with the original clerk who may not be on duty, may not remember etc. Cross border is a nightmare.

Just a side note: Any time you are dealing with the government check every detail of the documents before you leave the counter, s/n, class, endorsement, etc. It can be fixed then a lot easier than later. Doing it the next day might have to be coordinated with the original clerk who may not be on duty, may not remember etc. Cross border is a nightmare.
I once had a 20 minute argument with passport centre about not fitting my name in the boxes provided on the old paperwork. "we won't accept this, you didn't follow directions."

I finally got them to agree to write out my full name letter for letter and they realized it didn't actually fit. Duh.

Back
Top Bottom