White Power Suspension | GTAMotorcycle.com

White Power Suspension

Mike-the-Bike

No, I haven't joined the Aryan Brotherhood, although I do have the facial hair for it at the moment.

Rather, I have a 1985 RZ500 that has a White Power shock. Its a great unit but the seal is leaking. I had it rebuilt in 2001 and I guess after 15 years it owes me nothing.

The company was sold to KTM and they no longer provide a rebuild kit for that model. I've spoken to their head office in North America and to Factory Connection who rep them but no luck.

I'm wondering if a seal from another shock would fit. I'm thinking the best bet would be to have John Sharrard take a look. Any other recommendations?

Its a well designed shock and performs really well. It would be a shame to dump it.

No, I haven't joined the Aryan Brotherhood, although I do have the facial hair for it at the moment.

Rather, I have a 1985 RZ500 that has a White Power shock. Its a great unit but the seal is leaking. I had it rebuilt in 2001 and I guess after 15 years it owes me nothing.

The company was sold to KTM and they no longer provide a rebuild kit for that model. I've spoken to their head office in North America and to Factory Connection who rep them but no luck.

I'm wondering if a seal from another shock would fit. I'm thinking the best bet would be to have John Sharrard take a look. Any other recommendations?

Its a well designed shock and performs really well. It would be a shame to dump it.

Check and see if its a 290 MS and make sure the shaft is 16mm. If it is its your lucky day.

I have a rebuild kit somewhere in all the boxes I packed cleaning out my garage. I bought it and never used it. You can have the shock as well if you pay the postage or pick it up. It's at my in-laws in Scarborough. PM me.

Yes, the name is unfortunate, but its really good kit.

And yes, Sharrard is very good. I don't think you will find anyone better. Just take it to him.

Check and see if its a 290 MS and make sure the shaft is 16mm. If it is its your lucky day.

I have a rebuild kit somewhere in all the boxes I packed cleaning out my garage. I bought it and never used it. You can have the shock as well if you pay the postage or pick it up. It's at my in-laws in Scarborough. PM me.

Yes, the name is unfortunate, but its really good kit.

And yes, Sharrard is very good. I don't think you will find anyone better. Just take it to him.

Nice offer - well done.

never mind me

thought the company was German, that woulda taken the cake

it's Dutch

Last edited:
Racist suspension? WTF

Ha.

The original suspension was developed by a Dutch guy called Wim Peters. They were all white as his workshop shared a facility with a company that made hospital beds, and the only stove enamel colour they had in stock was white.

The original name of the company was "Samendrukking Vermogen Suspensie" which is probably a marketers nightmare so he replaced the first part with "Wit" to make it a little more catchy.

When KTM bought it they renamed it after Wim Peters. W.P. Suspension.

Ha.

The original suspension was developed by a Dutch guy called Wim Peters. They were all white as his workshop shared a facility with a company that made hospital beds, and the only stove enamel colour they had in stock was white.

The original name of the company was "Samendrukking Vermogen Suspensie" which is probably a marketers nightmare so he replaced the first part with "Wit" to make it a little more catchy.

When KTM bought it they renamed it after Wim Peters. W.P. Suspension.

And the fact that they were white supremacists must have been a coincidence. My tuner toured their shop way back and he was shocked that White Power really did mean WHITE POWER!

After all the Dutch have no history of racism.

And the fact that they were white supremacists must have been a coincidence. My tuner toured their shop way back and he was shocked that White Power really did mean WHITE POWER!

After all the Dutch have no history of racism.

I'm not doubting that he said but I'm kind of surprised as the partner was Pongthep Silapawetin.

After KTM bought them he moved back to Asia with the management team and they started YSS. From what I read there was some sort of non compete where they couldn't distribute product in Europe and North America for x number of years so they started off focusing on scooters.

Someone else told me that YSS also make Wilbers. I have a YSS shock that came out of the box with a Wilbers spring on it. Its not bad. Its not an Ohlins but its a lot better than the Fox twin Clicker it replaced

You could try Todd at Mission Cycle. He may know an alternative.

I did not know the WP and YSS connection. I have a YSS shock on my cbr125 and it is decent. Not Ohlins, but it's a lot better than the stock non-adjustable one.

I did not know the WP and YSS connection. I have a YSS shock on my cbr125 and it is decent. Not Ohlins, but it's a lot better than the stock non-adjustable one.

^^^+1. I have one on my track bike. Its a decent fully adjustable shock at a good price. Not an Ohlins but nothing is. I found it similar to the Hyperpro it replaced and much better than the Suzuki OEM

Back
Top Bottom