Help me choose which one to buy. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help me choose which one to buy.

dallasmcmahon

This isn't my first bike, but im stuck between which one to buy next month. Both have pros and cons to each for me. I've seen both, sat on both, and have ridden both, but still cant choose.

2015 Yamaha R3 (Blue) or 2015 Ninja 300 (white or green).

I really truly do need others advice.

Thank you and happy dreaming about riding during these somewhat cold winter months.

Purely on looks alone, I say ninja. In green. However the Yamaha may be an easier sell down the road, as the used market is flooded ninja 300's.
Didn't either bike just "feel right" when you were on it?

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

If there's absolutely nothing you favour in one over the other, I mean nothing at all, go with the ninja. Tell chicks you ride a ninja, they know what you mean, R3 not so much ??

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

This isn't my first bike, but im stuck between which one to buy next month. Both have pros and cons to each for me. I've seen both, sat on both, and have ridden both, but still cant choose.

2015 Yamaha R3 (Blue) or 2015 Ninja 300 (white or green).

I really truly do need others advice.

Thank you and happy dreaming about riding during these somewhat cold winter months.

I'll try to answer this with non bias.

I own a Ninja 300 and a friend of mine has an R3 which I've ridden quite a bit so I'll try to break it down.

Engine} R3 > Ninja ( R3 is smoother and more refined although Ninja can pull higher RPM )

Suspension} Ninja > R3 ( Ninja has a real Pro link suspension with dog bones, R3 does not )

Comfort} R3 > Ninja ( R3 has softer stock seat, ergos nearly identical though )

Fit for shorter riders} R3 > Ninja ( R3 is narrow for short inseams)

Looks} Totally subjective but Ninja comes with flush mounts signals from the factory, more color options and a special edition model ( which I have and love ) R3 looks good in BLACK only "my opinion".

Aftermarket} Ninja > R3 ( Ninja has a very strong aftermarket / R3 had not caught up and probably won't anytime soon )

Long term value} R3 > Ninja ( R3 is a newer design so I believe it will hold its value longer although Ninja 3's don't have a problem holding value it is an older design and will likely be replaced with a new design first )

Fuel economy} Both great

Stock tires} R3 > Ninja ( Yamaha puts a solid first set of rubber on the R3 from the factory, I believe they are Michelin pilot streets and they are definitely better then the Road Winners on the Ninja.

There's more but that's the important stuff.

Personally if I was buying new today between them I would pick up a 2016 R3 ONLY in black otherwise Ninja in any color. From the options you listed I'll take the Ninja in GREEN.

That's my .02 Spend it wisely. I own a Yam and kawi so no manufacture bias btw. Any questions let me know.

Last edited:
Green.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

I'd go BMW instead of the two you picked.

be different from the crowd instead of a cookie cutter

Last edited:
What does it matter? Just buy one. It's a starter bike.
btw, telling a girl you ride a Ninja then she sees it and asks why does it look so small...well you know what else she is going to wonder about.

I'll try to answer this with non bias.

I own a Ninja 300 and a friend of mine has an R3 which I've ridden quite a bit so I'll try to break it down.

Engine} R3 > Ninja ( R3 is smoother and more refined although Ninja can pull higher RPM )

Suspension} Ninja > R3 ( Ninja has a real Pro link suspension with dog bones, R3 does not )

Comfort} R3 > Ninja ( R3 has softer stock seat, ergos nearly identical though )

Fit for shorter riders} R3 > Ninja ( R3 is narrow for short inseams)

Looks} Totally subjective but Ninja comes with flush mounts signals from the factory, more color options and a special edition model ( which I have and love ) R3 looks good in BLACK only "my opinion".

Aftermarket} Ninja > R3 ( Ninja has a very strong aftermarket / R3 had not caught up and probably won't anytime soon )

Long term value} R3 > Ninja ( R3 is a newer design so I believe it will hold its value longer although Ninja 3's don't have a problem holding value it is an older design and will likely be replaced with a new design first )

Fuel economy} Both great

Stock tires} R3 > Ninja ( Yamaha puts a solid first set of rubber on the R3 from the factory, I believe they are Michelin pilot streets and they are definitely better then the Road Winners on the Ninja.

There's more but that's the important stuff.

Personally if I was buying new today between them I would pick up a 2016 R3 ONLY in black otherwise Ninja in any color. From the options you listed I'll take the Ninja in GREEN.

That's my .02 Spend it wisely. I own a Yam and kawi so no manufacture bias btw. Any questions let me know.

Thanks for that detailed observation. I totally agree with you. I like the looks of the yami, but the size of the kawi feels much bigger probably due to the larger tank. I think kawi is offering some rebates, so i should probably look into those. Im planning on keeping the bike for at least 4-5 years. I can get a brand new kawi for 5K all in pricing after rebates. But damn the engine on the yami makes me wonder if its worth the extra cash for long term buy.

also, what one is better capable of 2 up riding do you think. I like to bring my 110 pound girlfriend on lots of rides before on my 250 enduro.

Thanks for that detailed observation. I totally agree with you. I like the looks of the yami, but the size of the kawi feels much bigger probably due to the larger tank. I think kawi is offering some rebates, so i should probably look into those. Im planning on keeping the bike for at least 4-5 years. I can get a brand new kawi for 5K all in pricing after rebates. But damn the engine on the yami makes me wonder if its worth the extra cash for long term buy.

The engine is a little stronger on the R3 yes but the suspension on the Ninja is "substantially" better for all applications, including 2-up riding. I am 205lbs and my girl is around 115lbs. So around 320lbs on the Ninja and not a single moment did I ever feel like the bike was complaining. Sometimes I forgot she was even back there, but don't tell her that :lmao:.

Fact is its easier to add power to a solid platform then correct a manufacturers decision to cut corners on something important like the design of the suspension.

If you are planning on spending time with your girl on the back take the one built to handle it.

All my opinion of course.

Last edited:
If you're already concerned that the R3 has more power than the Ninja, you won't be keeping either bike longer than 1 or 2 years.

If you're already concerned that the R3 has more power than the Ninja, you won't be keeping either bike longer than 1 or 2 years.

I mean the engine overall is refined and has better technology. Sure i would love to have an 650 or a supersport, but im only 20 with 3 years of riding a crf250L until I sold it to my dad. I just need my own bike to last me at least until im 25 when i can afford anything bigger than 300cc considering i dont live in the same house anymore.

Last edited:
Thought you might find these useful. 3HP an 2.5 LB-FT ...
mcy0715_comp_dynotq.jpg
mcy0715_comp_dynohp.jpg

Last edited:
I mean the engine overall is refined and has better technology. Sure i would love to have an 650 or a supersport, but im only 20 with 3 years of riding a crf250L until I sold it to my dad. I just need my own bike to last me at least until im 25 when i can afford anything bigger than 300cc considering i dont live in the same house anymore.
Seems like you've made up your mind that the R3 is the one you really want. Sportsbikes aren't designed with passengers in mind so you don't have to worry about that when choosing.

Have fun with the R3, it's a great little bike.

Back
Top Bottom